Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:20:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What are subtle red flags at a job interview that say "working here would suck"?  (Read 83 times)
tippytoes

Activity: 1988
Merit: 275

View Profile
February 01, 2021, 10:21:17 PM

Last job I worked.

"Yea, everyone here is new, but it's totally because of covid"

"The boss doesn't like people going out to get lunch because they're afraid you'll never come back, so being your own lunch"

"You'll get weird looks if you leave on time". It was a chinese owned company with heavy chinese work culture influence so you were expected to stay overtime all week.

Also "the people here are nice but it's pretty stressful".

Eta: also was told by my trainer "you want to know the best advice I can give you? Find another job". This was like...my 2nd week in.
My wife lived in Japan for a few years and worked at an educational center. Her work hours were from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. She was the only non-japanese person that worked there. Her first few weeks she worked until 8:30 p.m. because she noticed that when she got to leave at 5:00, nobody else budged and that everyone else worked much much later. She clarified with the recruiter that got her the job that she is not obligated to stay any later than 5:00 even if everyone else is staying later. She would get up and leave and everyone would give her dirty looks as she walked out. Asian work culture is toxic

I noticed the same thing when I worked in an Asian country. My coworkers all looked at me like I was removing my pants whenever I left at exactly 5pm. It never occured to me to care, I just felt sorry for them.

Yes, that's Asian culture. And I think, that's one thing that needs to be changed. Even if you stay as late as you can, you can never finish all the works. And you are just skipping some important family time at home by doing that. I really like the Western work ethics. I believe we need more of this practice so we are not too stressed with our work once we get at home.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: