Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:18:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UK beginner  (Read 124 times)
Shitcoinah (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 05:55:50 AM

Hello I have recently decided to try out btc mining since my electric bill is extremely cheap and a good friend of mine is also an electrician soo. stonks.  Cool
Anyways I want to start a mini farm with 10 miners: Antminer S19 pro.
The thing is I’m not sure what PDU to purchase and what power cables would be suitable to run to the miner power supply. Also I read that I need to install an L630P type 30a wall socket to connect to the PDU.
Feel free to throw any and all advice that you can my way. Tanks in advance

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wndsnb

Activity: 544
Merit: 589

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 02:28:36 PM

First off, define "extremely cheap", in GBP/Kwh or USD/Kwh.

If your power is cheap by mining standards, then you probably should not be looking at S19 pros that are currently selling for ridiculously high prices. Right now the price is so high for S19 pros on hand that even if your power was free, the BTC price stays steady, and diff doesn't go up it would take over a year to make back the investment in the miner.

New generation miners all require 200-240V, and >3000W per miner. An S17pro specs say 3250W, so around 13.5Amps at 240V. That puts it above what you can safely put on a 15A circuit (typically 80% of peak rated current for a continuous load), so you could either have your electrician friend wire up individual 20A circuits for each miner, or find a >40A pdu to put two miners on one circuit. It would probably be cheaper to get your electrician friend just put in a sub-panel and individual outlets than bother with PDUs.

Have some dead Bitmain 17 series hashboards or full miners?
I'll buy them ... send me a PM with what you have and I'll make you an offer!
Shitcoinah (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 06:19:39 PM

First of all thanks for taking the time to educate my peasant ass, and It’s 0.1GBP/kWh

Would you advice against purchasing second hand miners from Alibaba?
Also what is your opinion on ETH mining compared to BTC mining in terms of short term/long term profitability.
I read somewhere the ETH proof of work model will change to proof of stake on the blockchain thus not requiring mining power for transactions? I could be wrong in understanding sorry.
And thank you for explaining to me the right and cheap way to setup my electric.
wndsnb

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 06:57:07 PM

Ok, that is not extremely cheap. These days you are competing against industrial miners that are paying closer to 0.02 GPB/kwh. They are the ones buying the most equipment, so they drive the miner prices based on their profitability.

First step is to just use an online profitability calculator (like this) to see what the #s look like for any given miner, and how long it will take to break even.

For info on altcoins, head over to the altcoin section... https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=160.0

danieleither

Activity: 203
Merit: 407

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 08:44:36 PM

I am mining here in the UK Smiley I have 4 x small farms, running just under 10PH total now.

I don't use PDU's. I have 1 x 20A breaker for EACH miner, with 2 x iec C14 power cables wired directly into each breaker.

I use these extension cables and cut off the male end:

https://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/p-c14c13red5/iec-c14-m-iec-c13-f-red-5m/dp/PL15165?CMP=i-ddd7-00001003

You can see some photos and details of one of my UK farms here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5263722.0

Happy to answer any questions if you PM me. I would say at £0.10 kw/h you'll struggle to profit though :/
mado18

Activity: 28
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 03, 2021, 12:08:09 AM

I am mining here in the UK Smiley I have 4 x small farms, running just under 10PH total now.

I don't use PDU's. I have 1 x 20A breaker for EACH miner, with 2 x iec C14 power cables wired directly into each breaker.

https://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/p-c14c13red5/iec-c14-m-iec-c13-f-red-5m/dp/PL15165?CMP=i-ddd7-00001003

Happy to answer any questions if you PM me. I would say at £0.10 kw/h you'll struggle to profit though :/

Well, £0.10 kw/h is cheaper than the majority here in London. The cheapest I've found is £0.138/kw. Who is your provider danieleither & Shitcoinah?
Shitcoinah (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2021, 03:14:05 PM

Ok, that is not extremely cheap. These days you are competing against industrial miners that are paying closer to 0.02 GPB/kwh. They are the ones buying the most equipment, so they drive the miner prices based on their profitability.

First step is to just use an online profitability calculator (like this) to see what the #s look like for any given miner, and how long it will take to break even.

For info on altcoins, head over to the altcoin section... https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=160.0

Sorry typo meant to type 0.01 gbp/kWh was a bit baked. 
So yah think it’s ok to buy used miners? Should I ask any specific questions to the vendors so I determine if I should buy them or niet?
wndsnb

View Profile
February 03, 2021, 04:19:00 PM

So yah think it’s ok to buy used miners? Should I ask any specific questions to the vendors so I determine if I should buy them or niet?

That is more like it. Unfortunately, you've probably picked the absolute worst time to start. There's a shortage of new gear, and with the rise in price and not much new gear coming online the profitability has gone up a lot and looks like it will stay that way until the miner manufacturers start delivering more or the price goes down. Eventually, the manufactures will manage to get some fab capacity and will dump as many miners as they possibly can, which will reset profitability again.

But right now, people see the price going up, and profitability really high, and are paying prices for gear based on thinking the price is going to go even higher.

With your power cost you could be profitable with an S9 even if the difficulty doubled. And even though the price of used S9s have nearly 10Xed in the last 6 months, (I think they are up to  $250 per miner with psu), you'd be able to make back your investment in 3 months if conditions remain the same.

So I'd look at S9s or Avalon miners in the 60 to 80 W/TH range. Maybe Canaan Avalon 1066 would work, those you can still buy new, and they have a reputation for being higher quality. With power that cheap I don't think it makes sense to pay a premium for super-efficient gear.

huntingthesnark

Activity: 357
Merit: 26

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2021, 04:59:05 PM

Well, £0.10 kw/h is cheaper than the majority here in London. The cheapest I've found is £0.138/kw. Who is your provider danieleither & Shitcoinah?

13.8p per kw? Sign me up - who's that? Last time I looked 17ish was the best...

For the latest Crypto news and alts info check out https://coinsjar.info/
mado18

Activity: 28
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 03, 2021, 05:50:07 PM

13.8p per kw? Sign me up - who's that? Last time I looked 17ish was the best...

I just switched to utilitypoint for 13.8/kw. But it seems that it can be better, as the people above posted.
Shitcoinah (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2021, 07:40:44 PM

Appreciate it bro and will do.  :DIt was typo mate it’s 0.01kwh
Shitcoinah (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2021, 08:07:05 PM

That is more like it. Unfortunately, you've probably picked the absolute worst time to start. There's a shortage of new gear, and with the rise in price and not much new gear coming online the profitability has gone up a lot and looks like it will stay that way until the miner manufacturers start delivering more or the price goes down. Eventually, the manufactures will manage to get some fab capacity and will dump as many miners as they possibly can, which will reset profitability again.

But right now, people see the price going up, and profitability really high, and are paying prices for gear based on thinking the price is going to go even higher.

With your power cost you could be profitable with an S9 even if the difficulty doubled. And even though the price of used S9s have nearly 10Xed in the last 6 months, (I think they are up to  $250 per miner with psu), you'd be able to make back your investment in 3 months if conditions remain the same.

So I'd look at S9s or Avalon miners in the 60 to 80 W/TH range. Maybe Canaan Avalon 1066 would work, those you can still buy new, and they have a reputation for being higher quality. With power that cheap I don't think it makes sense to pay a premium for super-efficient gear.

Thanks man Avalon it is, I’ve seen a lot of people use those.
Thanks for saving me money mate appreciate it  Smiley
FloppyPurpleGherkin

Activity: 306
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 03, 2021, 10:55:36 PM

£0.01 kwh in the UK? I think not. Not from the GRID anyway.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: