Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:37:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it normal to not want to work at all?  (Read 274 times)
AAPPKK (OP)

Activity: 36
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 06:53:15 AM

It isn't that I hate my current job, it's actually pretty easy and pays enough. I just don't want to go. I think even if I were offered my dream job paying quadruple what I make now, I still wouldn't want to do it. People tell me to find a job I love, but even if I loved it, I still wouldn't want to do it unless there's some way to get paid for watching TV - not writing reviews, not being in a focus group, just sitting quietly at my house watching TV and interacting with no one.

That scene in Office Space where Peter says if he had a million dollars he would do nothing? That's exactly how I feel. I just want to eat, drink and sit here in my chair watching TV or playing video games until I die.
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
PEANUTUT

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 06:54:29 AM

I feel like this ever since I finally got into the role I spent four years working towards. I just want to stay home and be left alone. Every day I push myself to go do my job and it’s demands. I often find myself daydreaming about not having to work or worry about making money. To just be able to not work would be amazing. I think I’m mostly just really worn out from four intense years of study and work and now my mind and body want a rest. I’m really looking forward to a two week staycation over Christmas. Hopefully that eases my constant day dreaming about not working.
ZOOOOM

Activity: 37
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 06:56:17 AM

I feel like this ever since I finally got into the role I spent four years working towards. I just want to stay home and be left alone. Every day I push myself to go do my job and it’s demands. I often find myself daydreaming about not having to work or worry about making money. To just be able to not work would be amazing. I think I’m mostly just really worn out from four intense years of study and work and now my mind and body want a rest. I’m really looking forward to a two week staycation over Christmas. Hopefully that eases my constant day dreaming about not working.
Same for me. I graduated in a field I’m 100% interested in and like the work OK most days, now after working for 10 months without vacations I’m just so tired. I’m gonna have a 3 day long weekend off in December and 2 weeks unpaid in January, can’t wait! And I know 10 months is probably nothing for some people, but I feel drained. They say it gets easier after the first year.
playyamy

Activity: 43
Merit: 4

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 06:56:49 AM

Same here. What really scares me is the people I run across that can retire and choose not to. This one old guy who was just past retirement age told me that he had enough money in the bank and a pension which would have allowed him to retire a couple of years ago but he didn't know what he would do with his time. It was the most depressing thing I'd ever heard
KARSASA

Activity: 30
Merit: 4

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 06:58:10 AM

Same here. What really scares me is the people I run across that can retire and choose not to. This one old guy who was just past retirement age told me that he had enough money in the bank and a pension which would have allowed him to retire a couple of years ago but he didn't know what he would do with his time. It was the most depressing thing I'd ever heard
What's so depressing about that old guy not wanting to retire? is it because;

a) all that working made him lose his personality and he longer knows what to do with all his spare time
OR

b) the fact that he's old and still working

idk why you feel sorry for that old guy he seems to be in a good position in life
BAOLann

Activity: 13

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 06:58:37 AM

What's so depressing about that old guy not wanting to retire? is it because;

a) all that working made him lose his personality and he longer knows what to do with all his spare time
OR

b) the fact that he's old and still working

idk why you feel sorry for that old guy he seems to be in a good position in life
Not exactly, it's because I'm afraid it could happen to me. I could fall so deeply into my routine that I lose touch with the things that make me happy outside of work. I'm only working to earn my way into retirement so I can focus on the things I want to do. What a depressing reality it is to think that by the time you get there I could find that the only thing in my life that makes me happy anymore is going to the same mundane job I've had for years.
viperor

Activity: 14

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 07:00:22 AM

If I had enough money that I didn't need to work then I'm not exactly sure how I would spend my time but I can't think of a job that I enjoy so much that there's nothing else I'd rather be doing. I think my interests lie mainly outside of work. I'd travel more, I'd spend more time with family and more time on my hobbies and interests.

I don't mind TV and video games but I wouldn't want that to be all I ever did. That's just me though.
Photony

Activity: 40

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 07:03:15 AM

I feel exactly the same. I cannot understand people that say if they won the lottery they'd get bored. That's insane to me. I have so many books I want to read, films to watch, video games to play, countries to visit, raves and festivals to go to. Why would you rather work instead of doing those things?! I want to start a family but what's the point when you only see your child in the evenings and weekends when you're all tired?

I was home educated but my parents are hippies and me and my siblings had no formal education. We just hung out. Played games, saw friends, went swimming in the river, read books, played with our cats. We'd visit castles or towns we've never been to. Make beer, take photographs, paint. I miss being able to do whatever I want.
KBIGHTTT

Activity: 14

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 07:03:51 AM

I feel exactly the same. I cannot understand people that say if they won the lottery they'd get bored. That's insane to me. I have so many books I want to read, films to watch, video games to play, countries to visit, raves and festivals to go to. Why would you rather work instead of doing those things?! I want to start a family but what's the point when you only see your child in the evenings and weekends when you're all tired?

I was home educated but my parents are hippies and me and my siblings had no formal education. We just hung out. Played games, saw friends, went swimming in the river, read books, played with our cats. We'd visit castles or towns we've never been to. Make beer, take photographs, paint. I miss being able to do whatever I want.
I'm not sure they mean 'bored' so much as 'restless' or 'existential'. After a while of relaxing and consuming some people will feel like their life has no point or meaning. There are a lot of ways to find meaning, to make a mark on the world: writing, making music, raising children, or working for a nonprofit. When you take away the need to earn a living some people will gravitate to those pursuits. People already do those things in spite of the fact that it can be a tough and meager existence. What do you think would happen when automation makes the 'work or starve' system no longer necessary?

There are people who might be happy doing nothing but TV and video games for the rest of their life. But not everybody's like that.
GALALAGA

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 07:05:21 AM

If I won the lotto, I'd road trip for years. Have one nice home near my family in NY and get a few condo units around the country for seasonal trips (like in Disney FL, Wilmington NC, Denver CO, Laguna Hills CA).

Visit every national park and practice my photography skills

Disney World - whenever I get the urge

Travel to every concert and music festival I'd be interested in

Dogs....soooo many dogs

Motorcycle tours of our nation's most scenic roads

Go fishing

Explore the best dining experiences in every region

Read
FAKerOR

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 07:10:13 AM

I find it rather odd that we spend the majority of our years when we are most able to do anything (20-40’s) - we commit 75% of our time to working. alienated from experiences, just so that we can retire with all of the money and free time when we are least able to do the things we wish we did when we were younger.
RainbowcityDAO

Activity: 21

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 07:10:54 AM

Nah, fuck working, I feel the same. You ever just daydream about what you'd do if you won the lottery? I do that shit every day. Me and my girl would move to Amsterdam and live in some glass palace and some other mad shit. Big dreams got me motivated though. It's a nice thought
XIYEXIYE

Activity: 12

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 07:11:32 AM

Every time I deal with an idiot customer, I daydream about winning the lottery and then buying the company I work for. Then I would still work but would choose just the smart and normal clients and let others do the dumb fucks.
canyouer

Activity: 27

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 07:13:07 AM

I did that, medical leave for 6 months... the first month was great, after a while, without the rhythm of work, I fell into a mess. I didn't take care of my personal hygiene, laundry piled up, dishes were constantly in the sink... if everyday is a Saturday then there was always time to do it 'later'.

I got a preview of what I thought my dream retirement would be and it turned out to be a nightmare. It was so bad, I went back to school.

Now I make 2x what I used to 5 years ago and I have a better idea of what I actually want for myself.

I think it's totally normal to want to be responsibility free, but the responsibilities that we have often are what push in a direction in life.
Cullly

Activity: 38

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 07:13:39 AM

I did that, medical leave for 6 months... the first month was great, after a while, without the rhythm of work, I fell into a mess. I didn't take care of my personal hygiene, laundry piled up, dishes were constantly in the sink... if everyday is a Saturday then there was always time to do it 'later'.

I got a preview of what I thought my dream retirement would be and it turned out to be a nightmare. It was so bad, I went back to school.

Now I make 2x what I used to 5 years ago and I have a better idea of what I actually want for myself.

I think it's totally normal to want to be responsibility free, but the responsibilities that we have often are what push in a direction in life.
Had the opposite effect on me. I was so happy not working. Went on a hike or bike ride daily, read 10000000% more than I would normally, got more exercise, ate a lot healthier/better, more time for friends/family/pets and new relationships, and learned some new skills which I used to get a job in a field I now hate.
XUNing

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 07:14:21 AM

I'm completely the opposite. Whenever I've been unemployed my apartment is spotless, I work out, engage in hobbies, see my friends etc. Obviously I don't go to bars or spend as much money, but in general my life is more fulfilling and I get adequate sleep, I'm able to devote time to studying what I want to in between job applications.

It's completely the opposite when I have a job. I often go days without shower or brushing my teeth. Dishes pile up, actually more often than not I don't cook, I'm so tired after work I usually just get fast food or microwave something. I don't get up early and have coffee, I sleep until the absolute last second before I have to get up in order to get as close to 8 hours of sleep as possible.

Whereas when I work I think, well I don't need to do laundry I sit in a call center all day I guess I can make it to the weekend then do it. Whereas if I'm unemployed I'll do it when the need arises. While employed I push it off to the last minute to enjoy the downtime more.
BlackPinker

Activity: 50
Merit: 5

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 07:16:19 AM

I feel you on the not working part. Although if I were offered my dream job at quadruple my current pay I'd take it since it'd allow me to afford to do more outside of work. If I had a choice though, to work or not, I would never work again. Something like hitting the lottery and allowing me not to work would be awesome - I'd travel, travel, travel, pick up hobbies I couldn't afford now (mountain biking, snow boarding, jet skiing, scuba diving) and play video games all day and night on days I'm feeling lazy.

I agree with the others that you may be depressed though, I think just wanting to only sit in a chair for the rest of your life wasting away isn't a healthy mindset to be honest. Maybe you should take some time for yourself and get out of town or maybe look into a session of therapy.
Vivian Crouch

Activity: 4

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 07:53:16 AM

Why do we reluctantly pull ourselves out of bed and go to work every morning instead of doing what we really want to do? for those who are satisfied with their work, livelihood or money almost never becomes a reason for their work.
so think about this, maybe it's just because you don't love the work and then decide whether you need do some changing.
zerogrown

Activity: 42

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 07:56:54 AM

It isn't that I hate my current job, it's actually pretty easy and pays enough. I just don't want to go. I think even if I were offered my dream job paying quadruple what I make now, I still wouldn't want to do it. People tell me to find a job I love, but even if I loved it, I still wouldn't want to do it unless there's some way to get paid for watching TV - not writing reviews, not being in a focus group, just sitting quietly at my house watching TV and interacting with no one.

That scene in Office Space where Peter says if he had a million dollars he would do nothing? That's exactly how I feel. I just want to eat, drink and sit here in my chair watching TV or playing video games until I die.

I think its completely normal... Always had this feeling every single day that I go to work... Felt it yesterday lol had to take the day off..
Ashley Garrix

View Profile
February 02, 2021, 07:59:43 AM

There are three typical symptoms of job burnout:
Emotional exhaustion. This usually leads to physical exhaustion. In this state, you need extraordinary will power to get into work, and work efficiency drops sharply.
Reduced personal accomplishment. At work, you need to put in more effort to complete the work, but the effect is often not so satisfactory. You will begin to wonder whether your work is meaningful. The success achieved at this time also makes you feel full of irony. Depersonalization. You will become cynical acrimonious and bored with your colleagues and clients. you may complain want to escape everything related to work.
Think about it, dude.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: