Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 09:46:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: US Navy sold 9,000 personal data for Bitcoin  (Read 97 times)
Daltonik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2520
Merit: 1490

View Profile
February 03, 2021, 03:35:42 PM

The US Department of Justice reports that a grand jury in the American city of Fresno has charged a California couple with fraud and identity theft.

Marquis Asaad Hooper and Natasha Rene Chalk served in the Navy.  According to the authorities, Hooper got access to the database of one of the companies under the pretext of checking personnel. According to the indictment, the couple sold personal information to more than 9,000 people for $ 160,000 in Bitcoin. Three months later, the company blocked Hooper's account.  He tried to regain access through the petty officer on the aircraft carrier George Washington.  To sign an agreement with the company, the latter received a fake driver's license and documents. Hooper and Chalk face up to 20 years in prison.

The full case of Marquis Asaad Hooper and Natasha Rene Chalk can be viewed here https://www.scribd.com/document/493195761/Hooper-Indictment-0#from_embed

"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
February 04, 2021, 04:13:48 PM
Last edit: February 22, 2021, 07:36:44 PM by NotFuzzyWarm
Merited by NotATether (1)

@OP
Please change the title of this thread. The US Navy is NOT who did the alleged crime(s). Your title is pure clickbait at its worst.
It was done by Marquis Asaad Hooper and Natasha Rene Chalk who at the time were members of the Navy which is a helluva lot different than what your title says.

A more accurate title would be, "Former US Navy personnel sold 9,000 personal data for Bitcoin". That is just as eye-catching for clicks while also being 100% truthful.
Porfirii
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 2044

The Alliance Of Bitcointalk Translators - ENG>SPA

View Profile
February 04, 2021, 04:25:24 PM

@OP
Please change the title of this thread. The US Navy is NOT who did the alleged crime(s).
It was done by Marquis Asaad Hooper and Natasha Rene Chalk who were  members of the Navy which is a helluva lot different than what your title says.

Thank you for pointing this out. The content in this thread is not what I expected to read (fortunately) when I clicked on the title link.

About the news, 20 years is quite a long time in prison. Let's see how it ends, but it is not worth the risk for $160k, IMO. What I don't know if I have understood well is that they sold the data TO more than 9,000 people or FROM more than 9,000? It seems to me that the title and the text in the post differ here.

BTW, congratulations Daltonik, you are almost there!!
NeuroticFish
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 6366

Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!

View Profile
February 04, 2021, 04:40:27 PM

the couple sold personal information to more than 9,000 people for $ 160,000 in Bitcoin

Committing crime for Bitcoin is far from new. I'm surprised it still happens with Bitcoin since it gives a good chance to the agencies to track - sooner or later - those funds and seize them.
But since I'm not concerned about the well-being of the criminals, this is just fine.
Rruchi man
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1082

View Profile
February 14, 2021, 05:04:10 AM

Marquis Asaad Hooper and Natasha Rene Chalk served in the Navy.  According to the authorities, Hooper got access to the database of one of the companies under the pretext of checking personnel. According to the indictment, the couple sold personal information to more than 9,000 people for $ 160,000 in Bitcoin.

The details of your article and the the topic of the article are both not in line. Hooper and Rene served in united states navy, your topic makes it seems as though it was a collective decision by high ranking decision making officers in the navy to sell the private data for its people for btc.
CryptocurencyKing

Activity: 1288
Merit: 504

View Profile
February 20, 2021, 07:42:35 PM

The details of your article and the the topic of the article are both not in line. Hooper and Rene served in united states navy, your topic makes it seems as though it was a collective decision by high ranking decision making officers in the navy to sell the private data for its people for btc.
I noticed that too, it drove my interest as i imagined a situation where an arm of government meant to be taking actions on the decentralized system the government so detest have got themselves in a complicated a complicated bitcoin situation but, it was nothing like i expected. I won't say i was disappointed but then, its a writing strategy to make your topic as click bate as possible and i think that topic attained that so, its still okay.

These complicated situations are the attentions the surging highs in bitcoin price is attracting to itself and it goes far to spread the news of the bitcoin revolution and how everyone wishes to have one. Own bitcoin today but, use legal means.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: