Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 08:27:28 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Restore ETH keys from one wallet in another with 12-word seed?  (Read 65 times)
AnotherCryptoNoob (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 4

View Profile
February 07, 2021, 01:00:40 AM

Hello,

See same question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5315268.msg56286185#msg56286185: I was doing the following experiment with the desktop wallets "Atomic Wallet" and "Exodus":

• Created a new wallet with Atomic Wallet, noted down the 12-word seed, chose password etc.
  • Then launched Exodus, right at the beginning chose "Restore from Backup", then typed in the 12 words under "Restore Wallet" and proceeded through some other dialogues

I would have expected that in both wallets, all keys (public and private) are exactly the same, particularly for ETH, because both wallets derive all keys from the seed based on BIP39 and BIP44. I used the functions "Show private keys" or similar to display them in both apps. But the ETH key pair is not identical: Both wallets show one key pair each, but different.

Why doesn't it work? Why are the keys not identical? If I wanted to switch from Atomic to Exodus with some active currencies, it would not work like this. Is any of my expectations wrong?

In addition: What I also wondered: In Exodus, it shows a column "Path" with value "m/0/0". I thought the path always has the format "m/44'/0'/0'/0/0"?
CuriousGeorge

Activity: 1498
Merit: 251

KUWA.ai

View Profile
February 07, 2021, 01:25:00 AM

Hello,

See same question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5315268.msg56286185#msg56286185: I was doing the following experiment with the desktop wallets "Atomic Wallet" and "Exodus":

• Created a new wallet with Atomic Wallet, noted down the 12-word seed, chose password etc.
  • Then launched Exodus, right at the beginning chose "Restore from Backup", then typed in the 12 words under "Restore Wallet" and proceeded through some other dialogues

I would have expected that in both wallets, all keys (public and private) are exactly the same, particularly for ETH, because both wallets derive all keys from the seed based on BIP39 and BIP44. I used the functions "Show private keys" or similar to display them in both apps. But the ETH key pair is not identical: Both wallets show one key pair each, but different.

Why doesn't it work? Why are the keys not identical? If I wanted to switch from Atomic to Exodus with some active currencies, it would not work like this. Is any of my expectations wrong?
If you are feeling doubt about that, you can try to download mycrypto.com desktop wallet and open your wallet with your seedphrase on mycrypto wallet. I think it will work fine.

In addition: What I also wondered: In Exodus, it shows a column "Path" with value "m/0/0". I thought the path always has the format "m/44'/0'/0'/0/0"?
It looks like the problem is located on the derivation paths. m/0/0 related to the BIP 32 path.

|
|

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ █████████████▀█████ ██
██ ███ ▀█████▀      ▀█ ██
██ ███     ▀▀      ▐██ ██
██ ███▌            ███ ██
██ ████▌          ▄███ ██
██ ██████       ▄█████ ██
██ ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ ████████████▀▀▀████ ██
██ ████████▀▀     ████ ██
██ █████▀    ▄▀  ▐████ ██
██ ██▀     ▄▀    ▐████ ██
██ ████▄▄ █▀     █████ ██
██ ██████ ▄▄█   ▐█████ ██
██ ████████████ ██████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
AnotherCryptoNoob (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 4

View Profile
March 23, 2021, 12:46:24 PM

Thank you for your quick answer, sorry that my reaction was a lot slower than that  Grin

If you are feeling doubt about that, you can try to download mycrypto.com desktop wallet and open your wallet with your seedphrase on mycrypto wallet. I think it will work fine.

Unfortunately it does not work. Here is what I tried:

1.) Downloaded "linux-x86_1.7.13_MyCrypto.AppImage" and launched it
2.) "How would you like to access your wallet?" --> clicked on "Mnemonic Phrase"
3.) Enter 12 words as "Mnemonic Phrase", "Passphrase" I left empty, then clicked "Choose address"
  a) In the combo box at the top, I tried "Default (ETH)" --> None of the addresses displayed matches my original address
  b) Tried the same with "Custom" -> "m/44'/60'/0'/0 --> None of the addresses displayed matches my original address
  c) Tried the same with "Custom" -> "m/44'/60'/0" --> None of the addresses displayed matches my original address (interestingly, the addresses are different to b), so omitting the final "/0" seems to make a difference)
  d) Tried the same with "Custom" -> "m/44'/0'/0'/0 --> None of the addresses displayed matches my original address
  e) Tried the same with "Custom" -> "m/44'/0'/0" --> None of the addresses displayed matches my original address (interestingly, the addresses are different to d), so omitting the final "/0" seems to make a difference)
4.) Tried the same steps 3.) a) b) c) d) e), but this time, I entered the password of my original Atomic Wallet as "Passphrase" beforehand --> Same result, none of the addresses match (Note: Addresses are different  to related ones from 3.) a)...e))
5.) Tried "Custom" = "m/0/0", "m/0'/0'", "m/0'/0'/0'/0" etc., but it won't let me choose any of these, the checkmark button for applying is grayed out for all of them.

Note: d) and e) I tried because I found it here: https://support.atomicwallet.io/article/146-list-of-derivation-paths (but I had to append a single quote character to the second last zero, otherwise MyCrypto would not have accepted it; this is all so confusing and/or messy):
Ethereum (ETH)
m/44'/0'/0'/0/0

When I try the same thing by installing Atomic Wallet and entering the 12 words, it displays the correct original address under "ETH". And it is independent of the password which I enter after the 12 words here. I tried with different random passwords. The resulting ETH address is always the same. I understand that the password is only for storing the data on the local disk, it has nothing to do with the 12 word mnemonic phrase.

Now I am worried. It seems like the 12 words mnemonic phrase only works with Atomic Wallet, nothing else. So if Atomic is not available in the future for any reason and I need to restore my wallet, I will have no chance.

Can anyone help me? How can I restore my Atomic Wallet 12 words mnemonic phrase on another wallet (application)? Or is anything wrong with my assumption that the 12-word seed is meant to work universally, independent of the wallet (application)?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: