Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:20:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does 1MH/s more actually matter?  (Read 185 times)
Randey Lahey (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 07, 2021, 08:58:34 PM

I've been mining for a few weeks now.  I have two PC's going on Wndows 10 on the Ethermine pool.  I get maybe 1 stale share per day between the two of them, no rejected or incorrect:

- Sapphire Pulse 5700XT: 1860 mem, 1250 clock, 750mv, 35% fan, 45C, 82C memory, 52.6MH/s, 96W, lolminer 1.20

- (My gaming PC) EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070: 1300 mem, -500 core, 52% power, 50% fan (940RPM), 52C, 124W, 62.1 MH/s, PM 5.5c

At 1150 mem I get about 60.2MH/s with the 3070.  Does it matter though if the 3070 runs at 60MH/s or 62MH/s?  How much difference does this actually make to monthly profits?  $1? I don't want to push my 3070 too hard on the memory if I don't have to.  Nobody seems to want to guess if sustained high memory clocks are bad for the long-term health of the card...youtubers seem scared to answer.

Thanks!

"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
February 07, 2021, 09:29:32 PM

Mining bitcoin with a gpu seems a bad idea. Try and find the best coin to mine with it (you can check every so often to see if there's anything better than what you're currently mining at the time).

I'd suggest moving across to eth or xmr and seeing how they perform.
Randey Lahey (OP)

View Profile
February 07, 2021, 09:59:38 PM

Mining bitcoin with a gpu seems a bad idea. Try and find the best coin to mine with it (you can check every so often to see if there's anything better than what you're currently mining at the time).

Huh  I am mining Ethereum...I thought the Ethermine pool would give it away.  There is no way to mine bitcoin with a GPU AFAIK.  My performance is exceptional I think, but that's not what I'm asking at all.
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3234
Merit: 2943

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2021, 11:17:20 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

Actually, it depends on your current electricity rate if the rate is cheap then you can push them more and it also depends on the temp of your GPUs.

Look at your cards temp 52C and 45C just confused about 82C. Is that the temp of 5700XT?

Below 70C temp is fine but more than that it can hurt your miner in the short-term.

About calculation how much you earn I suggest you use this https://whattomine.com/ to calculate the profit minus the Electricity rate.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Randey Lahey (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 12:12:20 AM

Actually, it depends on your current electricity rate if the rate is cheap then you can push them more and it also depends on the temp of your GPUs.

Look at your cards temp 52C and 45C just confused about 82C. Is that the temp of 5700XT?

Below 70C temp is fine but more than that it can hurt your miner in the short-term.

About calculation how much you earn I suggest you use this https://whattomine.com/ to calculate the profit minus the Electricity rate.

82C is the temp of the memory on the 5700XT.  The card temp is 45C.  I'm far more concerned about the long-term health of the 3070.  

I use that WhattoMine site all the time, but never thought to use it for the 1MH/s difference, thanks.  

I guess my question is more of will that extra 1 or 2 MH/s make it easier to 'solve' blocks (or whatever) and lead to exponentially bigger profits, or is it just a linear thing where you get X amount of Eth for every extra 1MH/s?  So, is it worth bumping up the memory so much, or is 60MH/s good enough?
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1029

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 01:15:06 PM

82C is the temp of the memory on the 5700XT.  The card temp is 45C.  I'm far more concerned about the long-term health of the 3070.  

I use that WhattoMine site all the time, but never thought to use it for the 1MH/s difference, thanks.  

I guess my question is more of will that extra 1 or 2 MH/s make it easier to 'solve' blocks (or whatever) and lead to exponentially bigger profits, or is it just a linear thing where you get X amount of Eth for every extra 1MH/s?  So, is it worth bumping up the memory so much, or is 60MH/s good enough?
What hashrate to use depends only on the cost of electricity. You must answer this question yourself.
To do this, measure the electricity consumption from the wall with a wattmeter.
Sometimes increasing the hash rate by 2-3 megahash increases the power consumption by 10-15 watts.
I do not think that increasing the memory frequency will lead to a quick breakdown of the video card. My GTX 10x0 video cards have been working with a memory frequency of + 600 + 1000 for 4 years already and RTX 20x0 video cards have been mining with a similar memory overclocking.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Randey Lahey (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 01:38:34 PM

What hashrate to use depends only on the cost of electricity. You must answer this question yourself.
To do this, measure the electricity consumption from the wall with a wattmeter.
Sometimes increasing the hash rate by 2-3 megahash increases the power consumption by 10-15 watts.
I do not think that increasing the memory frequency will lead to a quick breakdown of the video card. My GTX 10x0 video cards have been working with a memory frequency of + 600 + 1000 for 4 years already and RTX 20x0 video cards have been mining with a similar memory overclocking.

My power usage (measured at the wall...I have a meter) is the same no matter what memory clock I set, but memory clock does greatly affect the hashrate with Eth.  Power usage seems to only be affected by the power limit I set in Afterburner.  It dropped from 131W to 124W going from 55% to 52%.  Power cost here is about $0.142/kwH CAD ($0.11/kwH USD).

Thanks.  The XC3 Ultra has the same cooler as on the 3080 version, so I'm thinking it should be ok. I haven't been able to find any solid evidence on mining and long-term memory degradation.  I thought Gamers Nexus would have done this kind of testing by now.

Do you ever have to replace the thermal pads?  The guy on 'Son of a Tech' recently posted a video saying we should replace the thermal pads on the 3070 every 3 to 6 months!
Skinny48

Activity: 448
Merit: 18

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 01:58:03 PM

I don't see where OP write anything about mining bitcoin, are you even reading before making any post at all?

Skinny48

Activity: 448
Merit: 18

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 02:00:33 PM
Merited by Mighty_crypt (1)

I've been mining for a few weeks now.  I have two PC's going on Wndows 10 on the Ethermine pool.  I get maybe 1 stale share per day between the two of them, no rejected or incorrect:

- Sapphire Pulse 5700XT: 1860 mem, 1250 clock, 750mv, 35% fan, 45C, 82C memory, 52.6MH/s, 96W, lolminer 1.20

- (My gaming PC) EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070: 1300 mem, -500 core, 52% power, 50% fan (940RPM), 52C, 124W, 62.1 MH/s, PM 5.5c

At 1150 mem I get about 60.2MH/s with the 3070.  Does it matter though if the 3070 runs at 60MH/s or 62MH/s?  How much difference does this actually make to monthly profits?  $1? I don't want to push my 3070 too hard on the memory if I don't have to.  Nobody seems to want to guess if sustained high memory clocks are bad for the long-term health of the card...youtubers seem scared to answer.

Thanks!

To me it makes much difference because every single drop of water can make a mighty ocean, if you can get the extra hashrate I would say go for it, about gpu getting too hot I guess that's on RTX3090 and RTX3080, the RTX3070 is still better

Also Nvidia works best with their memory clock turned down, this will even reduce the Temp on the memory chip

KaratX

Activity: 252
Merit: 29

Sovryn - Brings DeFi to Bitcoin

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 02:25:49 PM

Thanks!

The stable hashrate you can get on a RTX3070 is 61.79MH per second with energy draw of 117 watts, play around with the core settings and memory settings, also put the power draw limit to 65%, I can't give a certain settings since every cards carries different memory type, mine is samsung

Randey Lahey (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 07:19:31 PM

The stable hashrate you can get on a RTX3070 is 61.79MH per second with energy draw of 117 watts, play around with the core settings and memory settings, also put the power draw limit to 65%, I can't give a certain settings since every cards carries different memory type, mine is samsung

Mine is also Samsung.  What are your exact settings in AB?  Do you lock the core voltage?  Are you also in Win 10?  Newest Nvidia drivers?  

I've played around with the settings a lot, but maybe I missed something.  I mean at 62.1MH/s and 124W, my MH/s/W is 0.50, which is pretty good for a 3070 from what I've read, but I would like to get that higher if possible.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: