Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:15:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Connecting GPU's with and w/o Risers  (Read 247 times)
mantonio333 (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 07, 2021, 09:05:48 PM

This might be a dumb question but...any issues connecting some GPU's directly on the motherboard and some using risers?

Most mining rigs I see in the internet either have all their gpu's connected on the motherboard or all via risers.

I'm planning to use Asus Z370-E for my rig.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
miner29

Activity: 1264
Merit: 138

View Profile
February 07, 2021, 09:16:37 PM

try to keep those on the motherboard to a minimum.  1 or 2 shouldnt be a problem.  but air flow and power draw are concerns.  Be sure to plug in any supplimental power.  Some boards have an 8 pin cpu + another 4 or 8pin cpu or 4 pin molex at either or both ends of the slots.  Some even have 6pin pcie plugs like gpus and risers take. 

But whatever you plug directly in the motherboard will be pulling power through the traces of the board.  Its why most rigs are built with risers...that and airflow airlow airlow.
mantonio333 (OP)

View Profile
February 07, 2021, 09:51:02 PM

try to keep those on the motherboard to a minimum.  1 or 2 shouldnt be a problem.  but air flow and power draw are concerns.  Be sure to plug in any supplimental power.  Some boards have an 8 pin cpu + another 4 or 8pin cpu or 4 pin molex at either or both ends of the slots.  Some even have 6pin pcie plugs like gpus and risers take. 

But whatever you plug directly in the motherboard will be pulling power through the traces of the board.  Its why most rigs are built with risers...that and airflow airlow airlow.

Got it thanks!

I was only planning to plug in one GPU. The rest will be on risers.
Sledge0001

Activity: 582
Merit: 149

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2021, 10:45:09 PM

Got it thanks!

I was only planning to plug in one GPU. The rest will be on risers.

I'd put them all on risers to get more airflow. Heat is the enemy of any miner!
th00ber

Activity: 789
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 07, 2021, 11:19:56 PM

This might be a dumb question but...any issues connecting some GPU's directly on the motherboard and some using risers?

Most mining rigs I see in the internet either have all their gpu's connected on the motherboard or all via risers.

You have to understand how a GPU is powered.
Some power come from the PCI-E slot (75W max on PCI-E 16x slot) and some power come from the 6/8 pins PCI-E connector(s) of the GPU.

The motherboard is compatible with SLI/Crossfire, so at least using 2 PCI-E slots directly is totally fine. Because it's design to give power simulteously to 2 GPU from the PCI-E slots.
If you want to use more GPU, you have to use powered risers (like USB risers) so the power draw that the GPU expect from the slot will not come through the motherboard (and it's a good thing, because it will not be able to safely provide so much power to 4-6 GPU on the slots).
The power will come from the risers with the molex or sata power cable directly from the PSU.

Do not use to much risers on 1 PSU cable.
For exemple, if you have 1 SATA cable from the PSU with 5 SATA plugs ... do not plug 5 risers, be cause it could stress this cable.
I prefer to have max 2 risers per cable on the PSU
mantonio333 (OP)

View Profile
February 07, 2021, 11:38:21 PM

Some power come from the PCI-E slot (75W max on PCI-E 16x slot) and some power come from the 6/8 pins PCI-E connector(s) of the GPU.

The motherboard is compatible with SLI/Crossfire, so at least using 2 PCI-E slots directly is totally fine. Because it's design to give power simulteously to 2 GPU from the PCI-E slots.
If you want to use more GPU, you have to use powered risers (like USB risers) so the power draw that the GPU expect from the slot will not come through the motherboard (and it's a good thing, because it will not be able to safely provide so much power to 4-6 GPU on the slots).
The power will come from the risers with the molex or sata power cable directly from the PSU.

For exemple, if you have 1 SATA cable from the PSU with 5 SATA plugs ... do not plug 5 risers, be cause it could stress this cable.

Okay I see. I will have two separate 850w PSU's to power eight 3070. I'll make sure to distribute powering the risers between the two psu's. Thanks!

Sledge0001

Activity: 582
Merit: 149

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2021, 12:42:53 AM

Okay I see. I will have two separate 850w PSU's to power eight 3070. I'll make sure to distribute powering the risers between the two psu's. Thanks!

If you choose to use 2 PSU's then you need to make damn good and sure that you select a single PSU to power up both the riser and GPU. DO NOT mix the power sources on risers and GPU's or you can cause damage to your equipment and possibly start a fire!
JayDDee

Activity: 1386
Merit: 220

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 01:27:07 AM

Newbie should avoid multi-PSU, keep it simple to start.
Regarding the initial question, connecting 2 GPUs directly to the motherboard is
fine if the x16 slots are properly spaced. It will run a little hotter but saves one
extra power connection. There is some good discussion in recent threads about how
to power risers. TLDR: SATA is bad.

KuromaYoichi

Activity: 756
Merit: 251

Sovryn - 300-500% APY on USDT Deposit

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 02:03:15 AM

Are you going to mine inside a case? because usually the one that want to connect 2 GPU directly to the motherboard doen't use open case. It's okay but the temperature will be higher than using riser because you will space them properly. You'll probably run into thermal throttle if you are planning to use 3080 / 3090 but other than that i think it will be okay. I've seen someone open the side panel and using 1 riser for the 2nd gpu.

.The DeFi for Bitcoin Platform.            ███   ███
           ███   ███
          ███   ███
         ███   ███
        ███   ███
       ███   ███
      ███   ███
     ███   ███
    ███   ███
   ███   ███
  ███   ███
 ███   ███
███   ███
▄  ▄██████████████████████▄  ▄
 ▀▄ ▀████████████████████▀ ▄▀
  ▀█ ▀████▀ ▄▄            █▀
   ▀█▄ ▀█ ████████████▀ ▄█▀
     ██▄ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███  ██
      ███      ▀█▄ ▀ ▄██
       ███▄ ▀█████ ▄███
        ████ ▀██▀ ▄███
         ▀███▄  ▄███▀
          ▀███▄ ▀██▀
            ████▄ ▀
             ████▀
              ▀█▀
SOVRYN███   ███
 ███   ███
  ███   ███
   ███   ███
    ███   ███
     ███   ███
      ███   ███
       ███   ███
        ███   ███
         ███   ███
          ███   ███
           ███   ███
            ███   ███
.300% APY on USDT Deposits.
████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
Stanlo

Activity: 952
Merit: 110

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 05:22:39 AM

If you are planning to power 8x RTX3070 it will be wiser to buy power supplies with 1200watt capability because a single RTX3070 draws up to 117-120watts per gpu now do the math, that's 960 watts and motherboard and CPU will need some power too
TanakabZX

Activity: 504
Merit: 16

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 05:31:51 AM

It makes more sense to use risers for all the graphic cards to get better cooling, if you insert a card into the 1st pcie slot and use riser on others there will be heat because a card is underneath doing a hardwork too, user risers and create space between the gpus

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
mak013

Activity: 2366
Merit: 754

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 06:18:27 AM

I used motherboard PCI-e without risers only in 2 choices: it was test rig for 1-2 GPUs and I mistaked and had not enough risers but had reserve PSUs and motherboards.
It will work fine but it will not be easy to construct normal rig with different GPU connection.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
████████████▄▄██▄▄
████████████████████▄▄
░████▄▄████████████████
░█████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀██▀
█████████████████░▄██▄
████████████████░░▀██▀
███████████████
███████████
██████████
█████████
████████
██████████
fmz89
Legendary

Activity: 1766
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 08:04:32 AM

only heat the issue but if youre running on water cooled grapics it will be more stable gpu direct on pcie mobo, there is 7 / 8 full pcie mobo and put all together with small  case and only gpu blower fan will do the trick, or all liquid cooler will be nice for looking and silent with lower gpu consumption just for hobbies

▄█▀                       ▀█▄
 ██           ▄▄ ▄▄           ██
███       ▄ ▄███ ███▄ ▄       ███
████▄   ███ ████ ████ ███   ▄████
 ██████████ ███▀ ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄██████
  ▀▀███████  ▀▄█████████ ████▀▀
       ███▀▄ ██████▀▀▀ ▄▄
       █▀▄██ ████▄▄█▀▄████
        ████ ▀█████▄▀██▀
        ████ █▄▀█████▄
        ████  ▀▀ █████▀
         ▀▀█      ▀█▀
.REXX.|||
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████▀    ▐███████
███████████    ▄▄█████████
▐██████████▀    ▀▀█████████▌
▐█████████▌       █████████▌
▐███████████    ███████████▌
███████████    ███████████
██████████    ██████████
▀████████▄  ▄████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀  █████
████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
████████████████▄▄██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
████ ▄▀██████████  █████
██████▄▀▄▀██████  ████████
▐████████▄▀▄▀██  ██████████▌
▐██████████▄▀▄ ████████████▌
▐██████████  ▄▀▄▀██████████▌
████████  ████▄▀▄▀████████
█████  ████████▄▀ ██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|.BUY REXX.
th00ber

Activity: 789
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 10:09:17 AM

If you choose to use 2 PSU's then you need to make damn good and sure that you select a single PSU to power up both the riser and GPU. DO NOT mix the power sources on risers and GPU's or you can cause damage to your equipment and possibly start a fire!

So true ! Smiley
https://www.thegeekpub.com/11955/using-dual-power-supplies-mining/

The key is :
Everything you plug on the MB comes from one PSU (24 pin, CPU pin, molex etc ...)
Everything you plug for a GPU comes from one PSU (Riser power + 6/8 pins PCI-E connector to GPU)

So you will not mix the ground of the 2 PSU and everything will be fine  Smiley
batsonxl

Activity: 1196
Merit: 26

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 12:16:50 PM

im not sure how many pci lanes that mobo will support, you can try and see. if after some gpus you will not see in device manager then you are run out pci lanes because when you plug directly to 16x you will loose lanes. my msi x79 no problem 1 gpu plugged to 16x rest 3 out with risers.
mantonio333 (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 01:21:42 PM

Do you mean I need to make sure to connect each GPU/Riser pair on the same PSU each? For example, connect GPU/Riser 1-4 pairs on first PSU and connect GPU/Riser 5-8 pairs on second PSU?
murgorx

Activity: 443
Merit: 13

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 01:28:28 PM

Hey,

if you are using dual power supplies do the following :
connect one GPU and its riser to power supply A until you have no more free slots.

Then go to power supply B , and connect each GPU and IT'S Riser to the same PSU!

Do not connect GPU_1 to PSU A and the riser of GPU_1 to PSU 2. Hope it's clear Cheesy
murgorx

Activity: 443
Merit: 13

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 01:30:02 PM

Also, check this diagram here :
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Yc7foXYMC58/WmUmqYWR_MI/AAAAAAAAAUk/dl5jRq-YLBUnmQj3JFCuxh5EFjRIj-r6gCLcBGAs/s1600/powerrig.png

A more clear representation of what I wanted to say with my post above.
mantonio333 (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 01:30:56 PM

So true ! Smiley
https://www.thegeekpub.com/11955/using-dual-power-supplies-mining/

The key is :
Everything you plug on the MB comes from one PSU (24 pin, CPU pin, molex etc ...)
Everything you plug for a GPU comes from one PSU (Riser power + 6/8 pins PCI-E connector to GPU)

So you will not mix the ground of the 2 PSU and everything will be fine  Smiley

Very useful article thank you! I was not aware that you couldn't mix and match psu connection with the GPU and mobo.

So basically I'll use the first psu for the mobo and 4 GPU/Risers. Then use the second psu isolated on the other 4 GPU/Riser pairs. This should be ok?
mantonio333 (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 01:42:00 PM

Hey,

if you are using dual power supplies do the following :
connect one GPU and its riser to power supply A until you have no more free slots.

Then go to power supply B , and connect each GPU and IT'S Riser to the same PSU!

Do not connect GPU_1 to PSU A and the riser of GPU_1 to PSU 2. Hope it's clear Cheesy

Got it thanks!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: