Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 09:43:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 3x faulty s17's eastern Canada  (Read 73 times)
mtnrotary (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 08:42:44 AM

Hi all,

Long story short, I've got three s17's that are faulty at a hosting company in eastern Canada. They all failed pretty much simultaneously, likely courtesy of the hosting company  Roll Eyes

I am looking for someone to be able to assist in diagnosing what's up (and if there's interest, possibly acquiring them at a discounted rate). I'm in NZ on the other side of the world, so shipping here is a bit cost prohibitive.

If you're interested and located somewhere in North America please get in touch, I'm sure we can figure something out.

Link to kernel logs here and the post below

I promise to somehow make it up to whoever's able to assist Smiley
wndsnb

Activity: 544
Merit: 589

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 01:29:19 PM

What exactly is the current condition? From the logs it looks like one of the three has 0 working hashboards (or maybe a dead PSU), and the others have one dead hashboard each. Do the two with single dead hashboards work at 2/3 of the expected hashrate?

Did the host try swapping a PSU on the one with 0 working boards?

What I'd suggest is:

1 - Swap PSUs between the miner with 0 working boards and one of the other ones.

2 - Take a working hashboard from one partially working miner and use it to replace the bad one in the other miner. You might need to use 3rd party firmware to get this to work (like asic.to).

With a bit of luck, that might get you 2 fully working miners back.

After trying that, I might be interested in buying whatever pieces you have left. I'm located in the northeast USA, so shipping shouldn't be too crazy.

Have some dead Bitmain 17 series hashboards or full miners?
I'll buy them ... send me a PM with what you have and I'll make you an offer!
BASE16

Activity: 180
Merit: 38

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 01:55:53 PM

If they all 3 fail at the same time it can only be two things.

1. Power surge on the mains network. (like a lightning strike or industrial machinery proximity)
2. Overheated due to bad cooling. (like a bad ventilation)

In case of a power surge it can damage or fry the hardware and that is usually beyond repair, not always though it depends on the strength of the blast.
In case of overheating a heat sensor buried in the hardware will sensor an overheat and shut down, this can be temporarily.

All 3 failing at the same time does not happen very often and this indicates that there is a common cause between these cases.

Swapping PSU's is a good start for logic analysis but make sure to check the other variables i mentioned above especially when there are more miners running which are also at risk of being fried.
mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 6405

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 02:34:57 PM

I did check the kernel logs of the three miners and here my conculsion :

Your first miner has 2 working hash boards, to fix it, simply ask them to disconnect the bad board which is chain1.

The second miner also has 2 working hash boards and chain  2 is the one you need to disconnect.

The third miner seems like all 3 hash boards are dead according to the kernel log, this could be a bad PSU.

I believe the hosting company should provide such maintenance for free or at a small cost, disconnecting a board or swapping PSUs isn't something that takes a lot of time or effort and if they won't do it for you, they are far from trustworthy.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
wndsnb

Activity: 544
Merit: 589

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 02:57:38 PM

I believe the hosting company should provide such maintenance for free or at a small cost, disconnecting a board or swapping PSUs isn't something that takes a lot of time or effort and if they won't do it for you, they are far from trustworthy.

I agree ... there are a number of hosts in eastern Canada, if the one you are using isn't helpful I'd suggest you look for another host to move your miners to.

Have some dead Bitmain 17 series hashboards or full miners?
I'll buy them ... send me a PM with what you have and I'll make you an offer!
mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 6405

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 05:38:19 PM

I agree ... there are a number of hosts in eastern Canada, if the one you are using isn't helpful I'd suggest you look for another host to move your miners to.

I saw someone a while ago on telegram complains about the same thing, I think one of his miners needed a PSU and the host wouldn't do it, they provided to ship it to him and then he had to change the PSU and send it back, the cost of shipping + the downtime cost a lot more than paying someone to do the job, this is why I don't like my miners to be hosted by some random person that is a few thousand miles away, and should that be your only option, you should at least check their terms and sign a contract that "forces" them to do the basic maintenance such as disconnecting hashboards, swapping PSUs and all that.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████