Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 01:17:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Always take a burned odor seriously  (Read 185 times)
melpheos (OP)

Activity: 557
Merit: 5

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 09:34:00 AM

My mining shack is sending it's warm air to my basement to heat up the house, and since a few days I noticed a burned ordor coming from the vent.
Found the issue this morning  Roll Eyes

With the current plastic I dont think it would have started a full blown fire but I guess i'm out to the DIY shop to buy some electrical parts
The multitap is rated for 3500w and was getting 2600w so maybe it was just some bad contact
New_order

Activity: 238
Merit: 15

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 09:38:48 AM

This is the reason one should never go away from your mining basement for too long, wires can melt, plugs can melt and start a fire at any time especially if you are drawing up to 1000 watts to your mining rigs, it's better to stay around at home when mining and if it's a most to leave do not go too far away
melpheos (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 09:51:21 AM
Last edit: February 08, 2021, 02:42:20 PM by melpheos

This is the reason one should never go away from your mining basement for too long, wires can melt, plugs can melt and start a fire at any time especially if you are drawing up to 1000 watts to your mining rigs, it's better to stay around at home when mining and if it's a most to leave do not go too far away
I had no issues for 3 years. Only when I reconnected everything I made a mistake and connected 3 farms on the same plug (I have two 10A plugs)
But even in this case, I was well within the rated wattage of the plugs so I guess it was low quality parts
RabbiTANK

Activity: 224
Merit: 18

Sovryn - Brings DeFi to Bitcoin

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 10:02:00 AM

True, only low quality parts and wiring will cause fire, to build a mining rig you have to use quality wiring and quality sockets too, make sure the amps are high, 10 to 20amp I think, before I made this move I can't count how many times I've changed extension socket and fuse too, I ended up going to the best stuffs

FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1052

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 12:37:29 PM

I had a similar case. Ideally, ceramic rosettes are best.
But such problems arise from poor quality plugs, electrical outlets, or poor contact.
Miners advise you to assemble all devices yourself and tighten the contact attachments.
If you have a large consumption, then it is better to make such connections through circuit breakers of 10 amperes
KaratX

Activity: 252
Merit: 29

Sovryn - Brings DeFi to Bitcoin

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 02:34:26 PM

All this burnt happened because you are drawing too high amp from the wall and the socket can't withstand the high current, it's better to go with 10amp minimum, I used to use a 5 amps socket and this was what happened too

I could smell the foul odour from a block away, glad I caught this real quick, the wall sockets also took some damage

Phoenix_PROG

Activity: 224
Merit: 28

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 04:02:42 PM

For your own safety and also people living around you pls do not go away from your mining rigs or farm, any unnecessary sparks can happen at any time and can bring fire disaster along with it, make sure you stay closer and not too far away, always monitor your rigs 24/7
melpheos (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 05:28:23 PM

All this burnt happened because you are drawing too high amp from the wall and the socket can't withstand the high current, it's better to go with 10amp minimum, I used to use a 5 amps socket and this was what happened too

I could smell the foul odour from a block away, glad I caught this real quick, the wall sockets also took some damage

It was 16 amp rated connector with 20 amp rated electrical cable and I was pulling at most 10 amp
The multitap is also rated 16 amp...
I'm not sure which one burned however but it could also just had been bad connections causing frequent sparks.

Trust me, I was not pulling too much for what it was supposed to support... I was pulling too much for what it could deliver however :p
It held 3 years and just started recently to burn.
Just bought higher quality connectors rather than the cheap one I used and in any case, I wont be pulling more than 7A once I have splitted my rigs.
Sourhearrt

Activity: 166
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 05:32:38 PM

It was 16 amp rated connector with 20 amp rated electrical cable and I was pulling at most 10 amp
The multitap is also rated 16 amp...
I'm not sure which one burned however but it could also just had been bad connections causing frequent sparks.

Trust me, I was not pulling too much for what it was supposed to support... I was pulling too much for what it could deliver however :p
It held 3 years and just started recently to burn.
Just bought higher quality connectors rather than the cheap one I used and in any case, I wont be pulling more than 7A once I have splitted my rigs.
Little sparks can cause burnt on any wiring even if they are gigantic amps, you can't always judge base on what your wiring setup is, it's better to be safer than sorry, always stay around your mining equipments from time to time and be sensitive to smells and odours, it's the fastest way to know that something is wrong

Swaap | Nova Bank
----------------------------------------------
[ GET | ACCEPT | EXCHANGE | WALLETS ]
melpheos (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 09:48:57 PM

Little sparks can cause burnt on any wiring even if they are gigantic amps, you can't always judge base on what your wiring setup is, it's better to be safer than sorry, always stay around your mining equipments from time to time and be sensitive to smells and odours, it's the fastest way to know that something is wrong

Yes, there is higher chances that it was sparks rather than too much power draw. Anyway, will put the new part tomorrow... Of course I realized only after dismanteling one of my rig completely that it was coming for the plug ^^
Well it was time to clean it up anyway
miner29

Activity: 1264
Merit: 138

View Profile
February 09, 2021, 02:26:00 PM

Poor connections will lead to more heat on connections.  Probably had some corrosion on the metal mating pieces caused the sparking between the two and in no time flat melted.  Was this connection thst melted recently plugged back in?
melpheos (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2021, 12:25:36 AM

Poor connections will lead to more heat on connections.  Probably had some corrosion on the metal mating pieces caused the sparking between the two and in no time flat melted.  Was this connection thst melted recently plugged back in?
You might be on something. Didn't thought about corrosion but I indeed plugged a connector back in after a fuse breakout.

Also my shack is almost openair and with the temperature difference in winter, it possible that some condensation formed and some corrosion appeared.
I will definitely check plugs more often
deskless

Activity: 279
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 10, 2021, 06:39:24 PM

I had a fire due to Sata cable used on a rig with 5700xt. I removed all the Sata based risers. I had a warning sign of burning smell that was ignored. Now I keep checking the rigs for any such odor.
Greatchu

Activity: 490
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 10, 2021, 07:38:23 PM

This is a warning for those who likes mining and leave for miles away while their Mining rigs are still running, these things runs on wattage consumptions, fire can break out at any point in time, it's not recommendable to leave your mining rigs behind and go away

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: