Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 08:16:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gpu mining temperatures  (Read 85 times)
adiemus123 (OP)

Activity: 43
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 09:36:17 AM

My vram on 3080's reach critical 110 then the speed drops down on all of them about 7-8mh/s, i keep my rig in a balcony with windows, its pretty warm in there, i open both windows and then it drops to 106-108 ish and the speed is back to normal, thing is outside its - 10 to - 18 during nights, can my gear get fucked up from that kind of cold? Cards indicate from 35 to 40 degrees at all times, fan speed is 100%, the balcony itself is pretty warm even with both windows open. Do i go with the balcony windows open or invest in another external fan directed straight at the backplate to cool down vram. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
JHORN

Activity: 252
Merit: 15

Sovryn - Brings DeFi to Bitcoin

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 10:07:53 AM

It's why I don't invest on RTX3080 and 3090, I am from a high temp country so it's a big no for me, the oy solution I can think of is to buy small fans that can be powered with usb cable and direct it at the back plate of the gpu, there is no other way than this, honestly only RTX3060ti interests me

th00ber

Activity: 789
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 10:14:14 AM

https://imgur.com/a/2ONFgGw

I made a backplate cooler for my 3090.
So not more throttling, I can steady hash @112-113 MH/s with my settings (290-295W power limit). Without the backplate cooler, the hash goes to 90-95 MH/s after some minutes.

I the cards are on rig, add fans to blow the backplate and the mem chips, it will really help to maintains mem in the 90-100°c range
Novatech8

Activity: 700
Merit: 27

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 10:49:13 AM

https://imgur.com/a/2ONFgGw

I made a backplate cooler for my 3090.
So not more throttling, I can steady hash @112-113 MH/s with my settings (290-295W power limit). Without the backplate cooler, the hash goes to 90-95 MH/s after some minutes.

I the cards are on rig, add fans to blow the backplate and the mem chips, it will really help to maintains mem in the 90-100°c range
Damn what are nvidia rtx3090 builders thinking? That's some cool fan modding you got there, I prefer the slim fan setup it will work better on the card because it's very thin, I'm glad I don't go for the cards anyways cos I will have to spend money on fans too, Nvidia got this wrong this time around, this is the type of building you get from AMD cards

batsonxl

Activity: 1196
Merit: 26

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 11:55:54 AM

you need change thermal pads with high conductive pads, there is many videos on youtube but you will loose warranty. you can try installing extra fan to keep backplate cool it helps too.
Claudio99

Activity: 210
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 11:59:51 AM

you need change thermal pads with high conductive pads, there is many videos on youtube but you will loose warranty. you can try installing extra fan to keep backplate cool it helps too.
There is no need to change thermal paste or pads since the gpu is cool, only the memory chip is getting hotter and I'm sure all RTX3090 comes with the pads on the memory in them, without extra fan there is no way to cool RTX3090 memory temp down

batsonxl

Activity: 1196
Merit: 26

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 12:12:35 PM

There is no need to change thermal paste or pads since the gpu is cool, only the memory chip is getting hotter and I'm sure all RTX3090 comes with the pads on the memory in them, without extra fan there is no way to cool RTX3090 memory temp down
im not talking about gpu temp, you need better idea to dissipate hot from memory chip and thermal pads with high conductive helps memory cool better, usually they come with 5-6w but you can change them with 12w then there will be no throttling again.
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1055

View Profile
February 08, 2021, 12:48:16 PM

My vram on 3080's reach critical 110 then the speed drops down on all of them about 7-8mh/s, i keep my rig in a balcony with windows, its pretty warm in there, i open both windows and then it drops to 106-108 ish and the speed is back to normal, thing is outside its - 10 to - 18 during nights, can my gear get fucked up from that kind of cold? Cards indicate from 35 to 40 degrees at all times, fan speed is 100%, the balcony itself is pretty warm even with both windows open. Do i go with the balcony windows open or invest in another external fan directed straight at the backplate to cool down vram. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

If you had problems with the temperature of the GPU, then you can use an additional fan, and if the memory overheats, then you need to modify the cooling system.
Watch a video about replacing thermal pads with your video card model.
Gigabyte  videocards can mine well after replacing thermal pads.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMyT8Sh0g5M
But it's better to buy Palit 3080 GamingPro
Sledge0001

Activity: 592
Merit: 151

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2021, 02:46:02 PM

I run several 3090's and there is absolutely no way to run them @ 120MH/s without supplemental cooling.

Even in an open air rack with a row of fans behind the cards I still find that these still require a larger "box" fan blowing on to them to keep them happy and cool.

Invest in a moderately sized box fan and your heat issues should be a thing of the past.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: