Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 01:21:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Higher GPU fan RPM w/ lower temp OR higher temp with lower fan?  (Read 84 times)
tbmc (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 13, 2021, 08:55:45 PM

Hi there,

Can someone describe to me, please that which is better for the GPU when 24/7 mining rigs?
I'm using external fans also to have the whole rig cold, but I'm curious about it Smiley

- higher fans rpm with lower gpu + vrm temp
or
- higher temp with lower fans settings?

What is the highest RPM for GPU fans which could be stable and not harmful for a long time?
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1718

CoinPoker.com

View Profile
February 14, 2021, 06:39:31 AM

Hi there,

Can someone describe to me, please that which is better for the GPU when 24/7 mining rigs?
I'm using external fans also to have the whole rig cold, but I'm curious about it Smiley

or

What is the highest RPM for GPU fans which could be stable and not harmful for a long time?

Are you talking about the GPU fans or are you talking about some external fans you have pointed to your rig to direct airflow? Basically its best to have the lowest temps however its not always smart to have fans running +80%.

If your rig has enough spacing between the GPUs and its open air, then you really don't need to play with the fan speed too much. Just let the default bios regular the fan speeds. If you are finding yourself having to run fans at >80% then most likely you are having some issue with bad circulations. If your fan is already running at 80% then it won't do much difference if it runs at 100%, best is to improve the air-flow. So seperate the GPUs more or add some box fan and point it at your rig.

If you run fans at 80% you will kill them in about a year or so. They aren't blower fans or server chassis fans and weren't designed to run at max load for long periods of time.

JayDDee

Activity: 1397
Merit: 221

View Profile
February 14, 2021, 06:56:20 AM

I do the simple math, which is more likely to fail and which is more expensive to fix.I'll sacrifice the fan to save the GPU.

I still have a GTX980 blower that runs at 80C with the fan at 100% and has been doing so since I bought it the day
it was released 7 years ago. None of my other crads run that hot but I still run the fan higher to keep the temp lower
than the default profile does. I've had no fan failures so far, just one sticky one from dirt.

batsonxl

Activity: 1196
Merit: 26

View Profile
February 14, 2021, 07:31:26 AM

I do the simple math, which is more likely to fail and which is more expensive to fix.I'll sacrifice the fan to save the GPU.

I still have a GTX980 blower that runs at 80C with the fan at 100% and has been doing so since I bought it the day
it was released 7 years ago. None of my other crads run that hot but I still run the fan higher to keep the temp lower
than the default profile does. I've had no fan failures so far, just one sticky one from dirt.
i just imagine the sound of gtx980 blower style at 100% Smiley
batsonxl

View Profile
February 14, 2021, 07:37:13 AM

Hi there,

or

you have to balance it. to keep your gpu running long time you need to know this:
1. Moisture bad
2. Maintenance : open cards clean from dust or any silicon pad leaks. change thermal paste every year.
Best fan lifetime is between 50-60%. For a gpu 60-70C is not hot it can work on this years and you dont have to change fans.
most important maintenance
tbmc (OP)

Activity: 6

View Profile
February 14, 2021, 08:08:54 AM

Thanks a lot, guys!

I'm running with my GPU fans around 52-55% on every 3070 in 4 rigs depends on what manufacturer the car has.
Every and each card has the corresponding distance to have good ventilation, plus supporting them with some external fans.

I was just curious about the fan's percentage.
JayDDee

Activity: 1397
Merit: 221

View Profile
February 14, 2021, 08:09:24 AM

It's too loud to use as a space heater in the living area so it's in the basement. If I could attach a
handle to it I could use it as a hair dryer but I have short hair so I don't need one.

Samayuki

Activity: 574
Merit: 24

View Profile
February 14, 2021, 09:07:58 AM

Lower temp is what matters, even if fan dies they can be easily replace since they don't cost much and I've never have a gpu fan that died on me after several months of mining, it's better to high your fan speed to gain lower temp and your gpu will have a great life

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Samayuki

Activity: 574
Merit: 24

View Profile
February 14, 2021, 09:10:28 AM

Hi there,

or

you have to balance it. to keep your gpu running long time you need to know this:
1. Moisture bad
2. Maintenance : open cards clean from dust or any silicon pad leaks. change thermal paste every year.
Best fan lifetime is between 50-60%. For a gpu 60-70C is not hot it can work on this years and you dont have to change fans.
most important maintenance
I cranked my graphic cards fan speed up to 64% because we have a hot weather here in my country and that lower the graphic cards temp to 68°c maximum, I don't like seeing my gpu going over 60°C even though it's still a safe temp for nvidia graphic cards

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
batsonxl

View Profile
February 14, 2021, 01:46:24 PM

It's too loud to use as a space heater in the living area so it's in the basement. If I could attach a
handle to it I could use it as a hair dryer but I have short hair so I don't need one.
hahaah hair dryer was best
batsonxl

View Profile
February 14, 2021, 01:55:58 PM

Lower temp is what matters, even if fan dies they can be easily replace since they don't cost much and I've never have a gpu fan that died on me after several months of mining, it's better to high your fan speed to gain lower temp and your gpu will have a great life
Yes fan will not fail easily if card is new. But most of my cards are used. and im sure some of them been used at 100% fan. i had many fan fail in my rigs because old owner used them at 100% i changed them. i have gpu running 4-5 years fans are still in good shape. it is up to you i never seen cards broken because of 75C but when fan fail in the night it can get pretty hot. running fans at 100% is not necessary it is just you killing fans nothing more. gpus designed work more higher temps.
Randey Lahey

Activity: 42

View Profile
February 14, 2021, 02:44:48 PM

Depends on the cards too I suppose.  I have a Sapphire Pulse 5700XT, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070, and MSI Ventus 1660 Super in 3 gaming PCs (the 5700XT is in a case without any covers on it).  

I keep the 3070 at 51% fan (950RPM), 48C, 61.9 MH/s, 123W, PM 5.5C.  

The 5700XT is at 35% fan (around 1250RPM, curve), 45C, 80-82C mem temp, 52MH/s, 93W (160W at the wall), lolminer.  

The 1660 Super is in my son's PC.  It's actually surprisingly good at mining (about 8 hrs per day when he's at work).  It's at 50% fan, 50C, 1400RPM, 32.4MH/s, 69W, PM 5.5c.

I'm of the same mind that replacing fans is cheaper that ruining a card, but I think if you're under 50C, no need to crank the fans up (unless you have one of those toaster-oven 3080/3090 cards).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: