Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:25:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to mining, but I want to learn, newb help?  (Read 207 times)
jazzyfarm (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 17, 2021, 08:32:05 AM

Hey all,

Ive always loved computer hardware, graphics cards specifically, and used to nerd out reading bench's and keeping up on upcoming release dates, pricing, gpu hierarchies etc, but Ive let that go.  The love is still there, but I feel like most of my knowledge is stuck back in 2004...

Recently found out about mining, which is a dream come true... To have a reason to care about graphics cards again, and to tweak settings chasing ultimate performance/stability, while actually making a little $$, sounds too good to be true... 

So for a guy like me is it a dream? or will it just be a nightmare?

So far I only have a laptop (I know, Ive read the threads, this thing is under warranty and about to be rma'd for other issues so I figure I can learn a little about mining with it before I do so).  It has a geforce 1650.

I have tried mining with:  Honey miner, Awesome miner, and nanominer (went with these after watching vids and doin some readin, still not sure if I should just go with something else like nicehash?)

So far my rig gets about 3.4Mhs, sometimes above 4.  I have read about people tweaking memory settings on other cards and achieving nice boosts while mining, but havent found much re: my 1650m

The main issues I keep running into at the start are things like, the miners dont like my wallet, or my gpu reads as 3.2gigs instead of the req 4gig for some miners/algorithms.  Also, I havent signed up for any sites/pools as I was trying to just find a basic way to get any return at all, to any wallet, with ease and little time.

After farming the 3 miners above, it appears I would need to run my current setup for a minimum 200+ days before I would be eligible to recieve even the minimum payout, is this normal? 

Basically, it feels like after a week of watching and learning and trying... that Im kinda spinning my wheels... I know a big problem is the laptop and cruddy gpu, but I feel I am being held back even moreso by my lack of understanding and knowledge of this whole thing (mining crypto).  Can anyone point me to a decent starting spot for someone in my position?  Ideally I am just trying to learn and have fun, but if I can find a way to get any actual return from mining, my wife will be on board with me buying a new gaming pc or 2, and maybe even a cheap asic miner to play around with... And that will lead to even more learning and fun!

So yeah, if anyone can point me in any good directions from here, it would be appreciated,

Jazy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
batsonxl

Activity: 1196
Merit: 26

View Profile
February 17, 2021, 09:55:40 AM

laptop is not good idea to mining because it has bad cooler but if you can get better cooler then you good to go. 1650 is very low end gpu it has 4g memory.Why memory is important because nearly all people mining ethereum right now because it is most profitable. and to mine ethereum you need at least 6gb gpu. Current dag size of ethereum is 4.08g.
 If you plan play games and mining then you good to go get gaming pc but pay attention it has big PSU and available pcie slots on mobo for future adding gpus.Right now it is difficult get good gpu at msrp. popular gpu right now is rtx 3060 ti and rtx 3080 and from amd rx 5700 rx 5600. amd is a bit difficult to start so nvidia will be good choice for you.
If i were i would sell all that latops and get laptop with rtx 3060 gpu, it is giving 49-50mhs. with 1 or 2 gpu you will not making big money but for fun it is ok. if you want get paid stick with nicehash because there is low threshold especially if you exchange btc to other coins.

PerfectCircle

Activity: 252
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 17, 2021, 10:09:14 AM

You should be getting 14MH on that gpu and that's 46$ per month presently, I will recommend nicehash for a newbie like you, install the software and benchmark, the software will pick the most profitable Algorithm for your gpu and start mining, memory space benefits Ethereum mining that's just the way it's POW was built

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
batsonxl

Activity: 1196
Merit: 26

View Profile
February 17, 2021, 10:25:56 AM

You should be getting 14MH on that gpu and that's 46$ per month presently, I will recommend nicehash for a newbie like you, install the software and benchmark, the software will pick the most profitable Algorithm for your gpu and start mining, memory space benefits Ethereum mining that's just the way it's POW was built
he cant get 14mh because windows uses recourses not enough memory for ethereum
~my gpu reads as 3.2gigs instead of the req 4gig~
Wingsbtc

Activity: 210
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 17, 2021, 10:33:14 AM

To mine Ethereum with that gpu isn't possible because 4gb graphic cards aren't welcome anymore, you should look into other algorithms that are Profitable for 4gb memory GPUs, sorry mate , go for ZANO, it's a ProgpOwz algorithm coin and right now you can make 1.20$ per day

New_order

Activity: 238
Merit: 15

View Profile
February 17, 2021, 05:19:19 PM

Why is no one warning this guy about using a laptop to mine? If that's not a quality high end laptop you will damage it easily, its better to go and buy  a gpu and insert into a desktop and mine with no worries of burning any components, laptops aren't safe for mining
jazzyfarm (OP)

View Profile
February 17, 2021, 06:01:22 PM

hey all, thanks for the replies

Firstly, the laptop im using is going to be sent back for repairs soon (battery and other issues) and is fully under warranty so I feel ok testing on it again until I get a new Desktop (old desktop has just a 750ti, dont believe thats worth using to mine right?)

Also, I was able to change around pagefile sizes and unlock system ram back to the gpu, and now eth mining seems to run, just slow... (i think i need to oc my gpu memory?)

UPDATE
My Wife gave me the green light to build/buy a pc with 1 or 2 initial GPU's...

Does anyone have a good current cheaper build saved up on newegg or similar site (im in Canada) that would work for this?

My priorities would be lots of fans/cooling and low noise (ie, ill pay a little more, if I wont hear it as much or at all while the house sleeps).

I was targetting a FX 5700 but I understand those arent available much, and when they are, they are quite overpriced.  Do I get a lesser gpu for now to start learning/earning and then grab a better gpu when prices/availability changes?
deskless

Activity: 279
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 17, 2021, 06:44:12 PM

I have found the Powercolor RedDeviL/RedDragon 580 GPUs are the most silent GPU among my collection which has other 5xx and 5xxx series and radeonVII
OasisDre

Activity: 532
Merit: 41

View Profile
February 17, 2021, 07:32:54 PM

I have found the Powercolor RedDeviL/RedDragon 580 GPUs are the most silent GPU among my collection which has other 5xx and 5xxx series and radeonVII
Radeon VII? Embarrassed that gpu sucks, I bought one and didn't last me for a year, I ended up with error 43 code and after reading reviews online I find out that many people faced the same fate with the gpu, I just throw the gpu into my basement and forget I ever use one

jazzyfarm (OP)

View Profile
February 17, 2021, 08:03:00 PM

thanks for the tips,

I was thinking of tryingto start with a 570 or a 580, then eventually snagging a 5700 or 5800.

Back when I was researching gpus everyday, SLI was still newer and people had a hard time putting different gpus into the same system, has that been solved?
deskless

Activity: 279

View Profile
February 17, 2021, 11:02:02 PM

Radeon VII? Embarrassed that gpu sucks, I bought one and didn't last me for a year, I ended up with error 43 code and after reading reviews online I find out that many people faced the same fate with the gpu, I just throw the gpu into my basement and forget I ever use one

Please note I did not recommend RadeonVII. I told the OP that RedDevil/RedDragon 580 are very silent.
btcxz

Activity: 24

View Profile
February 18, 2021, 04:01:34 AM

Hi bud,

Don't mine using a laptop. It will permanently damage it. The fans and batteries are not strong enough.

Try investing in a regular desktop if you can.
jazzyfarm (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2021, 10:46:08 PM

*Update*

I have been running nicehash for the past 24hrs or so on and off, seem to avg between 6.8 and 7.1 Mh/s.  Laptop GPU ranges from 51-56c, cooler at night.

When I check my nicehash wallet address 13g6GFPSq3FFQ1SjTD2T9Aov9PPnPnWjs3 it shows my stats, but when I log on to my account on their site, it shows 0 balance and 0 workers... is this because I need to use their wallet address?  What is the difference going one way vs thru my registerd account with them/wallet?

Also, I was targetting picking up a new desktop or building one myself in the next week or two, hoping to get a 3060 or 3060ti, or if a rx5700 came available cheap by some miracle.  Now I read that the 3060's are going to get their hashing value reduced bigtime as per a news release from nvidia today? 

I notice nothing is available for sale on the major websites newegg bestbuy etc, should I look into a prebuilt instead?

Thought I found a prebuilt alienware with a 5700 for 1699 cad, and ther are some prebuilt copms with 3060tis for around 1700-1900 cad before taxes... Any tips on buying a desktop or building my own over the next 2 weeks?

Being that I am goingto likely run this rig hard and game on it hard for the next 2-3 years, I am hoping to get mostly quality parts with at least 1yr warranties from reputable companies... but willing to wiggle if the prices are right.
btcxz

View Profile
February 18, 2021, 11:01:38 PM

*Update*

I have been running nicehash for the past 24hrs or so on and off, seem to avg between 6.8 and 7.1 Mh/s.  Laptop GPU ranges from 51-56c, cooler at night.

When I check my nicehash wallet address 13g6GFPSq3FFQ1SjTD2T9Aov9PPnPnWjs3 it shows my stats, but when I log on to my account on their site, it shows 0 balance and 0 workers... is this because I need to use their wallet address?  What is the difference going one way vs thru my registerd account with them/wallet?

Also, I was targetting picking up a new desktop or building one myself in the next week or two, hoping to get a 3060 or 3060ti, or if a rx5700 came available cheap by some miracle.  Now I read that the 3060's are going to get their hashing value reduced bigtime as per a news release from nvidia today? 

I notice nothing is available for sale on the major websites newegg bestbuy etc, should I look into a prebuilt instead?

Thought I found a prebuilt alienware with a 5700 for 1699 cad, and ther are some prebuilt copms with 3060tis for around 1700-1900 cad before taxes... Any tips on buying a desktop or building my own over the next 2 weeks?

Being that I am goingto likely run this rig hard and game on it hard for the next 2-3 years, I am hoping to get mostly quality parts with at least 1yr warranties from reputable companies... but willing to wiggle if the prices are right.

Firstly, are you using the wallet address they provided to you in there own wallet in the mining software? Also 51c isnt too bad, just don't let it get too hot!

Try getting a 3060ti / 3080 (Best ROI) for your desktop. They can earn up to $6-10 a day if mined and very good GPUs.

Don't buy premade laptops for $2000. A 3060ti is $500 (MSRP) to $1000 (Scalper) and you can make a much better desktop pc for cheaper. Plus laptop GPUs aren't the same as desktop and cannot be resold.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Happy to help newbies out anytime.
jazzyfarm (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2021, 11:56:18 PM

thanks for the reply, the prices for the prebuilds I was mentioning were for desktops... guessing thats waaaaay overpriced then.

the wallet im using is one generated from a binance account, i have messed around with several farming utilities and most of them would only accept a wallet in certain formats I guess?  I tried using ones that started with btc1 or bnb from various wallets and all wouldnt work except this one.  I am guessing nicehash has now 2 separate accounts for me then, one for the wallet address i inputted during install, and a differnt account registered to my account name, with a different 'nice hash' btc address....

Any ideas on sourcing a single gpu in the next week or two so I can just get started more seriously?  I figure I can always add a 2nd one later on?
btcxz

View Profile
February 19, 2021, 01:18:59 AM

Heyo,

I don't think you should buy 2 gpus for your 1 PC. Won't work as efficient I believe.

Shopblt has great GPUs--lots of people buy from them at MSRP prices. Just remember it might take a while for them to arrive.

Also try and use the Nicehash wallet. I think it'll show up then.
Gorosden

Activity: 518
Merit: 30

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
February 19, 2021, 11:54:26 AM

thanks for the tips,

I was thinking of tryingto start with a 570 or a 580, then eventually snagging a 5700 or 5800.

Back when I was researching gpus everyday, SLI was still newer and people had a hard time putting different gpus into the same system, has that been solved?
This can sound crazy but it's true presently I am using a RX 5700 and a RX 580 in a single motherboard and no problem so far in fact I have another motherboard that I built with few NVIDIA graphics card mixed with AMD graphics card and no issue so far if there is any problem all you have to do is switch the risers indifferent PCI slots and it will work

fmz89
Legendary

Activity: 1766
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 24, 2021, 11:23:48 AM

*Update*

I have been running nicehash for the past 24hrs or so on and off, seem to avg between 6.8 and 7.1 Mh/s.  Laptop GPU ranges from 51-56c, cooler at night.

When I check my nicehash wallet address 13g6GFPSq3FFQ1SjTD2T9Aov9PPnPnWjs3 it shows my stats, but when I log on to my account on their site, it shows 0 balance and 0 workers... is this because I need to use their wallet address?  What is the difference going one way vs thru my registerd account with them/wallet?

Also, I was targetting picking up a new desktop or building one myself in the next week or two, hoping to get a 3060 or 3060ti, or if a rx5700 came available cheap by some miracle.  Now I read that the 3060's are going to get their hashing value reduced bigtime as per a news release from nvidia today?  

dont use prebuild desktop for mining and is to expensive, my advice using dedicated motherboard for mining, gigabyte b250 fintech, intel g4400, ddr4 8gb, ssd 250gb, psu antec high current pro 1300w, with some riser 009s

and the gpus you can use 2nd vega 56 for cheap 250$ if available

▄█▀                       ▀█▄
 ██           ▄▄ ▄▄           ██
███       ▄ ▄███ ███▄ ▄       ███
████▄   ███ ████ ████ ███   ▄████
 ██████████ ███▀ ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄██████
  ▀▀███████  ▀▄█████████ ████▀▀
       ███▀▄ ██████▀▀▀ ▄▄
       █▀▄██ ████▄▄█▀▄████
        ████ ▀█████▄▀██▀
        ████ █▄▀█████▄
        ████  ▀▀ █████▀