Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 03:04:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU Fans not spinning on Riser  (Read 219 times)
Flabbypinata (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 17, 2021, 08:03:23 PM

Hi Everyone,

So very weird issue, I have a rog strip 1660s and a palit 1660s. The fans will not spin when plugged into a riser. Both cards are detected and work fine, their hash rates are on par with bench marks, but the fans refuse to spin, Iv tired multiple different softwares to get them going but no luck. As soon as I plug them into a 16x slot on the board, I can control the fans.

I have check the risers and changed them, used different brand and versions but still no luck, Iv also tried flashing different vbios with no results...

Mobo has been forced to 2nd Gen, 4g decoding enabled, and bio updated. Power is plugged into both riser and GPU . Keep in mind my msi gaming x 1660s works fine. PSU is a 1200w and this problem occurs with just one card plugged in

Iv run out of ideas, are manufactures doing this on purpose to stop mining ? These cards are brand new, 1 week old.

Anyone got any ideas or solutions ? I would greatly appreciate it, I can’t be the only person having this issue.
ummasek

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 18, 2021, 01:28:26 AM

I had this same this week. My 1660s started to spin the fan after pluging into a real pciex16.
Dont ask why. Just dont know.
First - riser - no spin.
Than pcix16 - spinning fine, nxt step - riser - all fine.
Maybe this will help you too ??

p.s. I was ready to send it over, but seller forced me to plug it into real PCIx16 - helped.
Sledge0001

Activity: 586
Merit: 150

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2021, 01:49:43 AM

Hi Everyone,

So very weird issue, I have a rog strip 1660s and a palit 1660s. The fans will not spin when plugged into a riser. Both cards are detected and work fine, their hash rates are on par with bench marks, but the fans refuse to spin, Iv tired multiple different softwares to get them going but no luck. As soon as I plug them into a 16x slot on the board, I can control the fans.

I have check the risers and changed them, used different brand and versions but still no luck, Iv also tried flashing different vbios with no results...

Mobo has been forced to 2nd Gen, 4g decoding enabled, and bio updated. Power is plugged into both riser and GPU . Keep in mind my msi gaming x 1660s works fine. PSU is a 1200w and this problem occurs with just one card plugged in

Iv run out of ideas, are manufactures doing this on purpose to stop mining ? These cards are brand new, 1 week old.

Anyone got any ideas or solutions ? I would greatly appreciate it, I can’t be the only person having this issue.

Not sure which Motherboard you are using but try to drop it to Gen 1.

I run my Asrock H110 BTC+'s on gen 1 and have never had an issue.
ManicMiner276

Activity: 24

View Profile
February 18, 2021, 08:29:46 AM

I had this same this week. My 1660s started to spin the fan after pluging into a real pciex16.
Dont ask why. Just dont know.
First - riser - no spin.
Than pcix16 - spinning fine, nxt step - riser - all fine.
Maybe this will help you too ??

p.s. I was ready to send it over, but seller forced me to plug it into real PCIx16 - helped.

Similar experience - just with the RX 5700XT, riser power connected to SATA connector over a SATA->6-pin PCIe adapter, the fans were spining, but only with low rpm, unable to get it spining more.
When connected riser power directly to 6-pin PCIe connector, now the fans are rotating well. Weird, but real.
RabbiTANK

Activity: 224
Merit: 18

Sovryn - Brings DeFi to Bitcoin

View Profile
February 18, 2021, 09:25:48 AM

That's mining for you, you are definitely going to deal with different weird stuffs when building rigs, mine is on rx580, whenever I boot up the pc the fan spins but when boot is up and windows is up the fan stop spinning, even when under heavy load the fan stood still, I later detect it's the AMD driver, after uninstall with DDU everything is back to normal

JHORN

Activity: 252
Merit: 15

Sovryn - Brings DeFi to Bitcoin

View Profile
February 18, 2021, 09:42:26 AM

If the gpu spins in the PCie x16 slot then something is wrong with the riser cable or the power part, are you powering the riser with sata cable? Try changing to PCIe connector cable instead or molex cable, also it can be issue with beta version of msi afterburner, it sucks

FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1050

View Profile
February 18, 2021, 10:03:30 AM

I have not heard of such a problem.
But if I had a similar situation and the BIOS firmware and changing the operating system with drivers would not have helped me, then I would have removed the cooling of the video card and installed 2 80x80 fans instead.
I did the same on my 2070, because the fans were spinning badly, and the Authorized Service Center refused to replace it.
epichaberdasher

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 19, 2021, 07:02:33 AM

Im interested to know whats going on here.

Ive heard of other people having this issue lately. Could it be new firmwares that are being made to stop miners ? Since the older cards never had these issues, it seems it only happens on newer batches of cards.

Sourhearrt

Activity: 166
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 19, 2021, 07:53:44 AM

Im interested to know whats going on here.

Ive heard of other people having this issue lately. Could it be new firmwares that are being made to stop miners ? Since the older cards never had these issues, it seems it only happens on newer batches of cards.

What new firmware you talking about? That's on RTX3060 and OP is using gtx1660s, I'm also mining with 6x gtx1660 super here on risers and no issue with fan not spinning or something like that, it can be issue with power supply, riser or motherboard, if OP have spare parts he can get to the bottom of this faster

Swaap | Nova Bank
----------------------------------------------
[ GET | ACCEPT | EXCHANGE | WALLETS ]
Ken_terrance

Activity: 574
Merit: 18

Making Smart Money Work

View Profile
February 19, 2021, 07:57:01 AM

It could be the motherboard, I have a AMD motherboard here doing same thing with rx580 cards, after ordering for a new motherboard they cards works very well in the pcie x1 slot with no issue, later I found out that the AMD motherboard bios is outdated, I upgraded and it works but gave the PC to my little brother for gaming

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬  ▬   Prasaga   │   Making Smart Money Work   ▬  ▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tech WP  /  Commercial WP  //  Twitter  /  Facebook  /  Discord  /  Telegram
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬  Powered by BOUNTY DETECTIVE  ▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Flabbypinata (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
February 19, 2021, 02:16:12 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, So this is what I have tried to get it working;

- Changed the riser, iv used different risers of the same version(008c) and 1 version 007s riser
- tried all 3 different power options and combinations of them
-Tried 2 different PSU, both high wattage
- changed the motherboard
-flashed old bios, and used the bios of similar cards
-forced gen 1 PCI

This is the really weird one, I taped the PCI pins on the GPU so that only the 1x pins in the front were exposed, I plugged the card into the 16x slot and it worked like a charm, fans could be controlled. Then I plugged the 1x riser into the same 16x slot, plugged the GPU into the riser, and it didn't work Huh This tells me it's riser related, but it looks like a signaling issue and I have no idea how to fix it.

So nothing iv tried worked, please let me know if I missed something. Keep in mind it's not all my 1660 supers have this issue, only the Palit and rog cards.

The only thing left to try is a ver 009 riser, but from my understanding, the only difference is the power input option?

Thanks again for the help thus far.
Furryball

Activity: 490
Merit: 19

View Profile
February 19, 2021, 05:06:43 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, So this is what I have tried to get it working;

- Changed the riser, iv used different risers of the same version(008c) and 1 version 007s riser
- tried all 3 different power options and combinations of them
-Tried 2 different PSU, both high wattage
- changed the motherboard
-flashed old bios, and used the bios of similar cards
-forced gen 1 PCI

This is the really weird one, I taped the PCI pins on the GPU so that only the 1x pins in the front were exposed, I plugged the card into the 16x slot and it worked like a charm, fans could be controlled. Then I plugged the 1x riser into the same 16x slot, plugged the GPU into the riser, and it didn't work Huh This tells me it's riser related, but it looks like a signaling issue and I have no idea how to fix it.

So nothing iv tried worked, please let me know if I missed something. Keep in mind it's not all my 1660 supers have this issue, only the Palit and rog cards.

The only thing left to try is a ver 009 riser, but from my understanding, the only difference is the power input option?

Thanks again for the help thus far.
There is nothing wrong with those risers 007 and 008, I'm using them in my rigs right now and no issues or whatsoever, now it's even more confusing since you've changed the motherboard too, how many graphics cards can you get running on the motherboard with no issue ?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Torter49

Activity: 3

View Profile
March 26, 2021, 06:42:51 PM

Having exact same issues with palit and kfa2 1660s, did you find a fix? Tried everything you have already. They work when directly in the mobo.
MiningNerd

Activity: 8

View Profile
March 26, 2021, 07:05:20 PM

Having exact same issues with palit and kfa2 1660s, did you find a fix? Tried everything you have already. They work when directly in the mobo.
Usualy a riser issue.
Check if their deliver pcie voltage.  
Torter49

View Profile
March 26, 2021, 07:46:04 PM

Usualy a riser issue.
Thanks for the quick reply. When I put both my 1060 or 1080ti in the exact same risers, the fans work. However put either the 1660 super palit or kfa2 in the same risers, the fans don't work. The 1660s work perfectly And get a hash rate of about 32 but the fans don't work at all... Its very confusing.
JayDDee

Activity: 1397
Merit: 221

View Profile
March 26, 2021, 08:09:54 PM

Does the fan work in an x16 slot? How hot does the card get when hashing wiith no fan?
Either a fan problem or it isn't getting hot enough to need the fan.

Torter49

View Profile
March 26, 2021, 08:17:59 PM

Does the fan work in an x16 slot? How hot does the card get when hashing wiith no fan?
Either a fan problem or it isn't getting hot enough to need the fan.
It gets to the point where it crashes. I have no control over the cards fans through afterburner when on risers. Put them on a full 16x slot and they function as normal with fans working properly. But 1080ti and 1060 work absolutely fine in these risers. It's almost like the GPU has firmware that stops it being used in a 1x slot.
JayDDee

Activity: 1397
Merit: 221

View Profile
March 26, 2021, 08:45:59 PM

Seems like an issue with those cards. You could try to return them but will have to explain
why you're using a riser.

Otherwise I hope you have a lot of x16 slots.

FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1050

View Profile
March 27, 2021, 08:38:21 PM

Usualy a riser issue.
Thanks for the quick reply. When I put both my 1060 or 1080ti in the exact same risers, the fans work. However put either the 1660 super palit or kfa2 in the same risers, the fans don't work. The 1660s work perfectly And get a hash rate of about 32 but the fans don't work at all... Its very confusing.

This problem occurs with 1660 super palit graphics cards. The culprit is the graphics card manufacturer, because 1660 super palit fans do not work in all raisers.
First, clean all raiser pins that come in contact with the graphics card and motherboard.
If this does not help, you will have to buy another raiser.
Try a 6 pin raiser, then a sata raiser
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: