Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:20:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Just built rig for first time, windows not seeing card.  (Read 141 times)
thelonerangers (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 18, 2021, 09:47:57 PM

Like the title says, I just built a new rig.  I only got 1 msi 2070 super.  I updated the drivers from nvidia, but afterburner doesn't see the card. I go to the device manager and its listed but it has the little triangle error symbol and says windows won't let it run due to an error.  I'm using the onboard graphics for the monitor not the video card.  Any help on what I'm doing wrong or missing.  Thank you in advance.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hustleman

Activity: 155
Merit: 6

View Profile
February 19, 2021, 05:25:14 AM

If your using the latest Nvidia drivers, you may need to update windows if your running an older version.  More information is needed to assess your problem.  Did drivers fully download when installed?
FireBallex

Activity: 462
Merit: 19

View Profile
February 19, 2021, 11:00:10 AM

Avoid using on-board graphics right now for display plug your HDMI cable into the graphics card and see if MSI Afterburner can detect the graphics card I'm sure the problem is within the onboard graphics display so don't bother using that for now

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
FireBallex

Activity: 462

View Profile
February 19, 2021, 11:04:29 AM

If your using the latest Nvidia drivers, you may need to update windows if your running an older version.  More information is needed to assess your problem.  Did drivers fully download when installed?
It's OP's fault, whenever you install a new graphics card you have to plug-in display cable at the back of the graphics card to get display and later you can start using on board graphics using on board graphics can make the discrete graphics card undetected, this has happened to me severally in the past when dealing with motherboard and graphics card

PerfectCircle

Activity: 252
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 19, 2021, 11:35:40 AM

Like the title says, I just built a new rig.  I only got 1 msi 2070 super.  I updated the drivers from nvidia, but afterburner doesn't see the card. I go to the device manager and its listed but it has the little triangle error symbol and says windows won't let it run due to an error.  I'm using the onboard graphics for the monitor not the video card.  Any help on what I'm doing wrong or missing.  Thank you in advance.
You should install the display Cable on the graphics card itself not the inbuilt gpu, this will make the motherboard and other tools like afterburner detect the RTX2070 fully, after that you card start using the inbuilt gpu display, for a easy walkthrough hi would recommend you to remove the driver and plug the display cable on the RTX2070 and reinstall the driver again, after fully detecting the gpu that you can start using the inbuilt gpu display

thelonerangers (OP)

View Profile
February 19, 2021, 02:08:00 PM

After a few pain staking hours, I think the card is no good.  I just bought it open box from a store, but was old they have the cards sent out for testing to make sure its good.  So I got the issue with the onboard graphics straightened out, but the card would not be seen by afterburner no matter what I did, I ran out got a hdmi to dvi adapter.  It would display through the card but I would get dotted green lines when it got into windows.  I swapped out the card for my older msi card and had none of those issues and msi afterburner was able to see the card.  I'm gonna safely guess at this point the card is no good.
thelonerangers (OP)

View Profile
February 19, 2021, 02:20:57 PM

Also let me add, I would run nvidia experience to update the drivers, it would download, install restart and when I opened nvidia experience to verify the install it said it needed the driver.  None of this happened when I put in my older msi card.
deskless

Activity: 279
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 19, 2021, 02:30:25 PM

Telling from my experience. Try the linux based OS such has simplemining, hiveOS. Life would be much easier.
Furryball

Activity: 490

View Profile
February 19, 2021, 03:01:59 PM

Also let me add, I would run nvidia experience to update the drivers, it would download, install restart and when I opened nvidia experience to verify the install it said it needed the driver.  None of this happened when I put in my older msi card.
It is pretty hard to believe that the card is new, do you break the seal yourself? What you are describing seems like artefacts appearing on the GPU it is better to return the graphics card to the store and make the seller test it in their own PC or motherboard just to confirm, you have to return it before it's too late

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
thelonerangers (OP)

View Profile
February 19, 2021, 06:45:52 PM

I didn't clarify, it was a open box from microcenter.  Sorry I didn't mention that part.
Stanlo

Activity: 952
Merit: 110

View Profile
February 20, 2021, 08:07:34 AM

I didn't clarify, it was a open box from microcenter.  Sorry I didn't mention that part.
The pack was already opened and you paid for that? C'mon pal that card has issue, why was it opened in the first place? How much do you paid for the GPU? I bet you get it cheaper, anyways make sure you return the card and get a brand new one with unbroken seal on it
thelonerangers (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2021, 12:49:39 PM

At microcenter they send the open box stuff out for testing before they put it up for sale.  There were no other cards to buy, I would of bought brand new if I could.  They'll even sell me an extended warranty on it, so I don't care.  I ended up getting an open box evga 2080 ti kingpin, got the rig up and running yesterday.  Thank you again for the help
Greatdev

Activity: 266
Merit: 16

Sovryn - Brings DeFi to Bitcoin

View Profile
February 20, 2021, 05:09:16 PM

At microcenter they send the open box stuff out for testing before they put it up for sale.  There were no other cards to buy, I would of bought brand new if I could.  They'll even sell me an extended warranty on it, so I don't care.  I ended up getting an open box evga 2080 ti kingpin, got the rig up and running yesterday.  Thank you again for the help
A quick advice here mate next time don't buy a computer equipment that has broken seal or that have been opened before, it is very risky moreover there are many online stores you can order gpus from like Amazon or newegg or even eBay, pay for the goods and let them ship is right your doorstep is not hard at all

thelonerangers (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2021, 10:54:31 PM

When was the last time you tried to buy a graphics card?  You can't find them, you think my first move was to buy an open box card from a store.  If they had brand new in box cards that were able to mine Ethereum I would of bought those.  Any of the new generation cards are being sold second hand new in box for over retail price.  They will give me an extended warranty on an open box card, go right ahead.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: