Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:08:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Help for first time Asic buyer?  (Read 200 times)
jazzyfarm (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 20, 2021, 09:17:39 AM

Hey all,

Its becoming painfully clear that sourcing a decent gpu for beginner mining isnt likely to happen, at least not easily, and without some luck.

I am living in a summer cottage with 0 insulation.  Have been running the gas fireplace and two spaceheaters 24/7 to make sure no pipes freeze etc.

Going to just make the plunge and order an Asic miner to plug in (in the back bedroom) for a few months til summer comes. 

I see people talking about used bitmain s9's on alibaba for around 45 usd.  Has anyone had experience with ordering something like this off that site?  Also, I am hoping to get a 110v power supply for it to avoid rewiring/electrician fees. 

I figure if I order it, and get a potato, ill only be out a little bit (plus shipping?)

But if I order it, and I can turn off a space heater, maybe have a little fun, earn a few coins in the process, that would be ideal.

Any and all tips are appreciated, Ive been pouring my last few weeks into learning more about crypto and exchanges and wallets and mining etc etc etc, but still lacking alot of information and hoping for any input!

Jazy
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
batsonxl

Activity: 1196
Merit: 26

View Profile
February 20, 2021, 09:36:14 AM

S9 not bad but very old and i dont think you will get brand new, if you have free electricity then out of question you can make good,
Dont trust all alibaba sellers there can be scammers too. dont pay wit crypto.
jazzyfarm (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2021, 10:39:41 AM

ok, did more research and realized I know little about shipping from overseas...

Any tips on a seller to canada? 

Also, can I buy a psu (110v) myself and connect the s9, if so, any tips?
xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2021, 10:34:28 PM
Merited by nc50lc (1)

Any Help for first time Asic buyer?

Don't buy any ASIC or GPU's now for mining , its not the right time. If you do, you going to pay a hefty price for GPU's or ASIC's
If you want to buy a S9 for heating and making some coins, forget about alibaba , get it from eBay Smiley

Not to long ago you was able to buy a S9 for around 100$ or less ... of course bitcoin prices going up (its over 50k) , now you can buy a S9 over 500$ with psu . If the BTC price going to hit 60000$ , then you probably going to pay around 7-800$ for a single S9 ...

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
jazzyfarm (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2021, 12:53:19 AM

Ok,

So what would be a good price for a first time hobbyist?

Not so worried about elec costs, mostly looking to learn and have fun, generate some heat in a back bedroom while I'm at it.

What price would be good in USD for an s9 with 110v psu?  What would you guys/gals consider too much?

Thanks
xxcsu

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2021, 02:10:41 AM

At this point, right now, really doesn't matter what you buying , basically everything overpriced ...

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
batsonxl

View Profile
February 21, 2021, 06:47:10 AM

Ok,

So what would be a good price for a first time hobbyist?

Not so worried about elec costs, mostly looking to learn and have fun, generate some heat in a back bedroom while I'm at it.

What price would be good in USD for an s9 with 110v psu?  What would you guys/gals consider too much?

Thanks
Bedroom? Man you cant sleep with S9 turned on in same room not even sit Smiley imagine some one turned on vacuum cleaner for 24hours. 
Price will be good when BTC goes down.
Ken_terrance

Activity: 574
Merit: 18

Making Smart Money Work

View Profile
February 21, 2021, 07:17:09 AM

I honestly don't know what to say, maybe to give you the advice to buy GPUS or not, as for the overpriced on GPUS it still depends on how many months this bull season will be here, I bought my gtx1660 super for 500$ each and as per present mining profitability it will take me 4months and two weeks to recover my invested money, all I can say it we don't know when or how long the bull run will stay alive, if you can see used ASIC miners then they should be cheaper, go for it, getting your ROI back faster must be your main focus

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬  ▬   Prasaga   │   Making Smart Money Work   ▬  ▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tech WP  /  Commercial WP  //  Twitter  /  Facebook  /  Discord  /  Telegram
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬  Powered by BOUNTY DETECTIVE  ▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
jazzyfarm (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2021, 09:29:24 AM

ok, well I lucked out and was able to grab a 5700xt, it should arrive in 2-3 days. 

I have an older desktop with an i7 930 but I think I need to upgrade the entire system/get a new one because im pretty sure my psu wont handle this card (currently running a 750ti)

ill make a new thread asking for help in parting out the rest of a decent starter system
batsonxl

View Profile
February 21, 2021, 04:57:51 PM

ok, well I lucked out and was able to grab a 5700xt, it should arrive in 2-3 days. 

I have an older desktop with an i7 930 but I think I need to upgrade the entire system/get a new one because im pretty sure my psu wont handle this card (currently running a 750ti)

ill make a new thread asking for help in parting out the rest of a decent starter system
what is your psu? name model? on mining 5700 doent need much power but when gaming it will drain alot.you can still use your i7 just get 1000-1200w psu,
Winscosinally

Activity: 490
Merit: 16

View Profile
February 21, 2021, 05:07:42 PM

Used bitmain s9 for 45$ on alibaba sounds too good to be true even when I knew that the miner is old, that price is red flag, how about a 100$ ? That's fair enough, hope you aren't looking into a defective product? Before buying make sure seller have sold tons of the items already and buyers are talking good about the seller
Claudio99

Activity: 210
Merit: 10

Sovryn - Brings DeFi to Bitcoin

View Profile
February 21, 2021, 07:00:22 PM

Why alibaba? I hope this isn't the first time you would shop on that website, if it is you need to be very careful, the ASIC might be faulty and you won't know until you get the item shipped to you, better buy from eBay, Newegg or Amazon, 45$ per ASIC miner is unbelievable

Paycheck

Activity: 199
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 21, 2021, 10:13:35 PM

I can remember doing random searching on ebay just a few months ago, and S9's were under $100, and even then I wasn't sure it was a good deal. Now they are up around $300 again.  I should have grabbed a few cheaply!

jazzyfarm (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2021, 10:33:37 PM

I figured if I risked $45 and it didnt work out, thats not a big loss... but ive never used alibaba befor, and I dont really understand the shipping options and things like that.

I need something with a 110v psu, or that I can can go purchase my own 110v cheaply, but just not sure best way forward...

**** update on the graphics card*****

an hour after I ordered and had my bank account minus'ed, staples emailed me and told me my order couldnt be processed, they had no stock at the time my order was processed...

They still havent refunded me yet though... lame...
xxcsu

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2021, 02:39:25 AM

I can remember doing random searching on ebay just a few months ago, and S9's were under $100, and even then I wasn't sure it was a good deal. Now they are up around $300 again.  I should have grabbed a few cheaply!

they around 500$ and up Smiley as of today Smiley just check the prices after BTC hit 60k (if its going happen at all ) Smiley

batsonxl

View Profile
February 22, 2021, 07:06:24 AM

I figured if I risked $45 and it didnt work out, thats not a big loss... but ive never used alibaba befor, and I dont really understand the shipping options and things like that.

I need something with a 110v psu, or that I can can go purchase my own 110v cheaply, but just not sure best way forward...

**** update on the graphics card*****

an hour after I ordered and had my bank account minus'ed, staples emailed me and told me my order couldnt be processed, they had no stock at the time my order was processed...

They still havent refunded me yet though... lame...
Sorry to hear that, maybe you can find local pc shops. or look ready gaming pc with good gpu, looks like you wanted gaming pc anyway.
OasisDre

Activity: 532
Merit: 41

View Profile
February 22, 2021, 12:57:12 PM

Yeah it's very very hard to find graphics card in stock right now most stores have already sold all the graphics cards in store and now is not a good time to even build a mining rig because it will be harder to get your return of investment back

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: