Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:23:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pandaminer B3 Plus 4G GPU upgrade?  (Read 100 times)
ovmega (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 20, 2021, 05:34:55 PM

Hello,

I just bought a Pandaminer B3 Plus 4G. It has 8 RX 470 4GB cards.
I have searched on google and on this forum and I can't find anything related to this: is it possible to change the GPUs inside the miner? Maybe upgrade them to 8GB models? If so, what models work with this miner?
It's currently running SMOS.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cryptominer420

Activity: 450
Merit: 255

View Profile
February 20, 2021, 08:03:16 PM

I believe those use MXM GPU'S, AKA Laptop Socket GPU's, you could replace them but those GPU's are much harder to find in bulk.

╖   ╓╖╖                         ╖╖╖ ,
  ▒   ╢▒,@▒▒▒║ ╓╣╝║║*╢  ╢▒╣ ],`]░╢▒▒╖ ▒ ╥╢▒▒▒╢  @╝╢▒
  Ñ▒▒]▒▒` ]`╢║▒╣▒╢▒▒  ╢▒╝▒▒▒  ╢▒╜║▒▒▒╢▒╜  ╢╢║N
 ║╢   ▒▒╜ ║▒▒╢▒▒@@╢▒║  ╢▒╜ ▒ ╙▒▒,║░▒╣ ▒║ ╢▒▒╢▒▒▒»@╢@@╢╜

▬▬  A Miner Built Mining Platform  ▬▬[/url]
Powered by Our Mining Community

buraz11

Activity: 115
Merit: 4

View Profile
February 20, 2021, 08:17:01 PM

I think its just a box wit a 8 gpu motherboard and fanless gpus wit 5 fans on the outside, if it is you can put some other gpus, but i think the inside connectors are 6 pin not 8 pin for power.
If you dont want to mess with it and interested in selling contact me
P00P135

Activity: 1123
Merit: 136

View Profile
February 20, 2021, 08:30:26 PM

Hello,

I just bought a Pandaminer B3 Plus 4G. It has 8 RX 470 4GB cards.
I have searched on google and on this forum and I can't find anything related to this: is it possible to change the GPUs inside the miner? Maybe upgrade them to 8GB models? If so, what models work with this miner?
It's currently running SMOS.

Save yourself some trouble and just go mine RVN with them using teamredminer and call it a day.
ovmega (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2021, 09:07:34 PM

I believe those use MXM GPU'S, AKA Laptop Socket GPU's, you could replace them but those GPU's are much harder to find in bulk.

They are desktop RX 470 4GB but fanless and with only HDMI output, which is not used. They use a 6-pin power connectors.

I think its just a box wit a 8 gpu motherboard and fanless gpus wit 5 fans on the outside, if it is you can put some other gpus, but i think the inside connectors are 6 pin not 8 pin for power.
If you dont want to mess with it and interested in selling contact me

You are right. I was thinking it was some sort of custom PCB/motherboard and it wouldn't accept any other card besides what it shipped with, considering the variant of RX 470 in it isn't standard (no fans, no fan pin, no other output besides HDMI, no brackets to take it out of the Pandaminer and mount it inside a PC). Not interested in selling it, I just got it and I want to learn, since I have very little experience in GPU mining. Thank you for the offer though.

Save yourself some trouble and just go mine RVN with them using teamredminer and call it a day.

It's mining RVN, I was just wondering of the possibility to upgrade it in the future. I don't have any other GPUs and was curios if I could ever upgrade it but it seems that the only way to know for sure is to try it myself. If someone else tried it already, I couldn't find the results online.

Thank you all for your input, I'll try and come back to this post with the results of my upgrade attempt. Will try with an RX 570 first and see how it goes.

Cheers!

P00P135

Activity: 1123
Merit: 136

View Profile
February 20, 2021, 09:51:37 PM

The limiting factor is the size of the case and the brackets the GPUs are mounted to.  You would have to find GPU's under 200w so you can use the single 6pin power cable inside, and take off the fan shrouds so they will fit in the limited space provided.  Pandaminer does make 8GB versions but I'm not sure if they will fit in a B3 Plus.  The newer Pandaminers have a different proprietary layout.  They will be hard to find on the used market as most people are just trying to dump their 4GB versions while keeping the 8GB for obvious reasons.
ovmega (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2021, 09:48:19 AM

The limiting factor is the size of the case and the brackets the GPUs are mounted to.  You would have to find GPU's under 200w so you can use the single 6pin power cable inside, and take off the fan shrouds so they will fit in the limited space provided.  Pandaminer does make 8GB versions but I'm not sure if they will fit in a B3 Plus.  The newer Pandaminers have a different proprietary layout.  They will be hard to find on the used market as most people are just trying to dump their 4GB versions while keeping the 8GB for obvious reasons.

I was thinking that since the GPUs were custom, the motherboard would be the same and would "look" for its GPUs on start-up. You're right, 8GB versions are hard to find but to be fair, most miners are hard to find these days. I was lucky I found this.
I'll keep your advice in mind when searching for a GPU for this. Thank you very much for your help
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: