Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:28:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is altcoin mining still a thing?  (Read 224 times)
Ultegra134 (OP)

Activity: 1554
Merit: 744

View Profile
February 21, 2021, 11:51:31 PM

I remember back in 2017/18 mining Altcoins with Nicehash and making a decent profit per day back then. I no longer have my PC (What used to be my mining rig) to try it out, nor remember what hash rate it was achieving. Is anyone still mining with Nicehash? Are you generating any profit? What equipment are you using?

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TGJ

Activity: 173
Merit: 5

View Profile
February 22, 2021, 02:13:24 AM

Everybody is mining right now. It’s why you can’t find a GPU in stores anywhere.
Sledge0001

Activity: 582
Merit: 149

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2021, 02:25:49 AM

Yeah there is a little coin called ethereum!
xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2021, 03:30:29 AM

Is altcoin mining still a thing?

If altcoin mining is not a " thing", then this forum wouldn't make any sense Wink

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
batsonxl

Activity: 1196
Merit: 26

View Profile
February 22, 2021, 07:02:56 AM

I remember back in 2017/18 mining Altcoins with Nicehash and making a decent profit per day back then. I no longer have my PC (What used to be my mining rig) to try it out, nor remember what hash rate it was achieving. Is anyone still mining with Nicehash? Are you generating any profit? What equipment are you using?
people most mining altcoins since bitcoin only profitable with ASICs.
Stanlo

Activity: 952
Merit: 110

View Profile
February 22, 2021, 10:57:51 AM

Altcoin mining is still big  Cool that's why majority of miners are on here to share knowledge about mining rigs and also solve problems too, right now GPUS are very scare and even if you find them they are triple in price already, right now is not a good time to build mining rigs
Ultegra134 (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2021, 12:54:49 PM

Altcoin mining is still big  Cool that's why majority of miners are on here to share knowledge about mining rigs and also solve problems too, right now GPUS are very scare and even if you find them they are triple in price already, right now is not a good time to build mining rigs
I see, the profits back then were quite decent, even with a moderate build using Nicehash. I had two average AMD cards with 2 gbs of RAM and was earning about $2-3/day if I remember correctly. However, I was starting to learn less after a while due to low GPU RAM.

I was considering to repair my old build and buy one graphic card and try it out. My laptop isn't really living up to my expectations, it's quite slow for anything stressful.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Winscosinally

Activity: 490
Merit: 16

View Profile
February 22, 2021, 02:21:50 PM

It's kinda too late to build a mining rig right now because does graphics card have skyrocketed in price, it's like using the money that can buy 3 graphics card to buy one right now is just better to invest your money in altcoins rather than thinking about getting GPUS for mining..
Skinny48

Activity: 448
Merit: 18

View Profile
February 22, 2021, 03:37:31 PM

Yes I'm still using Nicehash till date and it's profitable too, running on 6x gtx1660 super and Ti, it's a good time to start mining cryptocurrency once again and I believe that some coins will bring better profits to miner in short term than even ethereum itself

nsummy

Activity: 1179
Merit: 131

View Profile
February 22, 2021, 03:47:34 PM

Its still a thing (as others have mentioned ETH) but its not quite the same as 2017/2018.  Back then new shitcoins were popping up daily, along with a steady stream of coins that may be more profitable depending on what GPU you had.  Those days are pretty much gone.  A lot of those coins went to asic and there isn't the influx of new coins.  Right now ETH is about the only game in town if you have a card with more than 4 GB of RAM.
nsummy

Activity: 1179
Merit: 131

View Profile
February 22, 2021, 03:47:59 PM

It's kinda too late to build a mining rig right now because does graphics card have skyrocketed in price, it's like using the money that can buy 3 graphics card to buy one right now is just better to invest your money in altcoins rather than thinking about getting GPUS for mining..

Incorrect
Apostlekin$$$

Activity: 238
Merit: 17

Sovryn - Brings DeFi to Bitcoin

View Profile
February 22, 2021, 06:19:21 PM

Its still a thing (as others have mentioned ETH) but its not quite the same as 2017/2018.  Back then new shitcoins were popping up daily, along with a steady stream of coins that may be more profitable depending on what GPU you had.  Those days are pretty much gone.  A lot of those coins went to asic and there isn't the influx of new coins.  Right now ETH is about the only game in town if you have a card with more than 4 GB of RAM.
Well we still have some new altcoins but no one cares much about them, we have conflux which is already topping the chart of the most profitable altcoins presently, we have ergo too which is a DeFi PoW algorithm coin, there is another too which is has a name like 🦊 Foxd or something like that, it was dumped months ago and now back with a vengeance

Ultegra134 (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2021, 09:49:02 PM

Ethereum was gaining ground fast when I stopped mining. It was already becoming the most profitable way to mine, while the other algorithms (I remember Decred and a few others) were starting to be unprofitable to run older rigs.

Incorrect
I'm not quite sure if I'd build a rig now for the whole purpose of mining. My PC has a malfunctioning motherboard and could use some upgrade, in the meantime, my laptop doesn't meet my needs. Thus, I could combine these two needs to mine  and simultaneously repair my computer.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x