Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:43:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What's generally considered the best pool to join?  (Read 6606 times)
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2011, 06:20:00 AM
Last edit: December 01, 2011, 08:28:33 PM by Meni Rosenfeld

I agree the 10% is amazingly high!
and Bitpenny was PPS with 10% fee.
Later Bitpenny was hit by a bad luck run and had to close because 10% turned out to be not enough. That's one of reasons why I decided not to make it lower.
It's only "not enough" if there isn't enough reserve. In AoBPMRS I describe the reserve needed at a given fee level (or vice versa) to make bankruptcy probability arbitrarily low.

Didn't anyone here hear about pool-hopping? I don't know how big the problem is in Deepbit specifically but those looking for a small proportional pool could easily suffer 20% loss. Use a hopping-proof method like PPS, PPLNS, DGM, shift-PPLNS.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 01, 2011, 07:59:40 PM

Hi Meni,  I do agree hopping would be more of a problem in smaller pools, but I haven't been watching the big pools to see if they have suffered the short term hop-swings.  Comes back to reward systems and consistency of hash rates.  Anyway, I'm lazy with my set up and doing something else with the GPUs so was never too interested in optimising every last bit cent.  A card failure would wipe that out quickly enough.

Smiley
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2011, 04:21:31 AM

Runing a 6 core 1090T OC'd at 3.6Ghz ...  I did blow up my 600 watt PSU doing this however and am now running a 850W lol. With afterburner and custom fan profile the 6950 runs at 77C and the CPU at 53 (Corsair A50 and Arctic Cooling MX-4 paste). Also have 3 120mm intake fans and 2 140mm exhaust fans. I am not worried about power consumption but temps are important to me.

This kind of post confirm why I got you on "ignore",   You made the 500$ 1ghs thread completely unbearable, and now you're posting about CPU Mining and the color of your thermal paste.

Not going to explain why you are irrelevant, but you are, REALLY.
worldinacoin

Activity: 756

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 04:26:45 AM

I am using deepbit, have tried others but find deepbit best in terms of getting pay outs.
bittenbob

Activity: 560

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 04:30:14 AM
Last edit: December 02, 2011, 04:48:33 AM by bittenbob

Runing a 6 core 1090T OC'd at 3.6Ghz ...  I did blow up my 600 watt PSU doing this however and am now running a 850W lol. With afterburner and custom fan profile the 6950 runs at 77C and the CPU at 53 (Corsair A50 and Arctic Cooling MX-4 paste). Also have 3 120mm intake fans and 2 140mm exhaust fans. I am not worried about power consumption but temps are important to me.

This kind of post confirm why I got you on "ignore",   You made the 500$ 1ghs thread completely unbearable, and now you're posting about CPU Mining and the color of your thermal paste.

Not going to explain why you are irrelevant, but you are, REALLY.

Ignore favor returned. I was stating my config to rule out a configuration problem due to invalid shares. The color of the paste is not what I was talking about it was the brand and model.  Might be useful if someone wants to use an aftermarket cooler for their cpu or gpu.

"Transisto

Re: What's generally considered the best pool to join?
Today at 04:21:31 AM
This user is currently ignored."

Ahhh thats the stuff!
bittenbob

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 04:38:26 AM
Last edit: December 02, 2011, 01:22:35 PM by bittenbob

Back to the ABCPool vs Deepbit

I have earned 0.40950177 BTC since joining last night. The shares I have produced do not match their calculations but my payout seems to be. It also seems to have a higher payout than Deepbit. I will be sticking with this pool and have deepbit set as my backup. I noticed three times around noon their server ran out of work so that is when I decided to set up the backup. Havent cofirmed the backup but am running it in GUIMiner as parameter  --backup http://user:pass@f1.deepbit.net:8332 (for some reason I cannot connect to the main deepbit server).

I would now recommend this configuration to anyone else looking for a pool. Plus with ABCPool you can get the cool picture that updates your hash rates in real time like in my picture courtesy of BTStats.
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2011, 06:08:49 AM

I have earned 0.40950177 BTC since joining last night. The shares I have produced do not match their calculations but my payout seems to be. It also seems to have a higher payout than Deepbit. I will be sticking with this pool and have deepbit set as my backup. I noticed three times around noon their server ran out of work so that is when I decided to set up the backup. Havent cofirmed the backup but am running it in GUIMiner as parameter  --backup http://user:pass@f1.deepbit.net:8332 (for some reason I cannot connect to the main deepbit server).

I would now recommend this configuration to anyone else looking for a pool. Plus with ABCPool you can get the cool picture that updates your hash rates in real time in my picture courtesy of BTStats.
Why not start your own thread in technical support ?  I don't think you can help anyone decide which pool is "generally best" based on your limited observations.
bittenbob

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 12:50:56 PM
Last edit: December 02, 2011, 01:23:14 PM by bittenbob

I would now recommend this configuration to anyone else looking for a pool. Plus with ABCPool you can get the cool picture that updates your hash rates in real time in my picture courtesy of BTStats.
Why not start your own thread in technical support ?  I don't think you can help anyone decide which pool is "generally best" based on your limited observations.

What exactly is limited about noticing that I get more payout from ABC than Deepbit? That to me seems like a very astute and relevant observation. It is also relevant if the pool cannot supply enough work. Stop trying to flame me already and stay on topic.
bittenbob

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 10:39:52 PM

As per my suspicion earlier I am definitely getting more stales/invalids at ABCPool than deepbit. There is long polling but it does not seem to be as effective. Even wiht this I am sure the payout is higher (assuming you do not donate). If you take donations into account you might just be better off at Deepbit with their proportional. The regular use miners are to allow for HD videos so they are not run as often.

Transisto
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2011, 02:23:30 AM

What exactly is limited about noticing that I get more payout from ABC than Deepbit? That to me seems like a very astute and relevant observation. It is also relevant if the pool cannot supply enough work. Stop trying to flame me already and stay on topic.
To stay on topic ? The topic is not about you doing observation on two pool. Are you aware there is ~50 pools ?   As much as you want to help there are people who have much more knowledge about what pool is best for X or Y.

What is limited your actual knowledge of how pools works, it shows by your claim that "X pool cannot supply enough work".

People with 10-100 Ghs had incentives to do this research more than 6 months ago and they did.
 For more information on pool there is this 30 000 post subs named "Pools" located here : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=41.0

Note that I am not challenging your assumption but simply trying to spare you some work while sparing us some pointless reading.

Flaming ? I am trying to be polite, your private message are full on insult.
You are a real ass you know.
Inaba got mad because I pointed stuff out and he was in love with the people he met obviously because he took offence and started flaming too.
...done a pretty good job of making an ass of yourself and are turning the pool thread into a clusterfuck with your irrelevant posts."
JACKASS!
Please grow up.

Tip : Do not expect to provide help unless you think you know better than all previous people who posted. (same goes for BFL thread)
bittenbob

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 03:10:40 AM

Well maybe the user doesnt want to stray from the thread. It might have been too much reading to read many threads and asked advice which is what the topic of this post is about.The person obviously didnt find the thread themselves or they wouldnt have posted.

When you assume you make and ASS out of U and ME
plastic.elastic

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 11:05:50 PM

To stay on topic ? The topic is not about you doing observation on two pool. Are you aware there is ~50 pools ?   As much as you want to help there are people who have much more knowledge about what pool is best for X or Y.

What is limited your actual knowledge of how pools works, it shows by your claim that "X pool cannot supply enough work".

People with 10-100 Ghs had incentives to do this research more than 6 months ago and they did.
 For more information on pool there is this 30 000 post subs named "Pools" located here : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=41.0

Note that I am not challenging your assumption but simply trying to spare you some work while sparing us some pointless reading.

Flaming ? I am trying to be polite, your private message are full on insult.
You are a real ass you know.
Inaba got mad because I pointed stuff out and he was in love with the people he met obviously because he took offence and started flaming too.
...done a pretty good job of making an ass of yourself and are turning the pool thread into a clusterfuck with your irrelevant posts."
JACKASS!
Please grow up.

Tip : Do not expect to provide help unless you think you know better than all previous people who posted. (same goes for BFL thread)

Do you speed French?

Tips gladly accepted: 1LPaxHPvpzN3FbaGBaZShov3EFafxJDG42
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
December 07, 2011, 10:49:07 PM

Later Bitpenny was hit by a bad luck run and had to close because 10% turned out to be not enough. That's one of reasons why I decided not to make it lower.
It's only "not enough" if there isn't enough reserve. In AoBPMRS I describe the reserve needed at a given fee level (or vice versa) to make bankruptcy probability arbitrarily low.

Didn't anyone here hear about pool-hopping? I don't know how big the problem is in Deepbit specifically but those looking for a small proportional pool could easily suffer 20% loss. Use a hopping-proof method like PPS, PPLNS, DGM, shift-PPLNS.
Um - as you do well know (or all those pages of guff you have written are based on a severe lack of knowledge)
Pool hopping does not make a Prop pool lose n% needed to be covered by fees.
So it has nothing to do with the fees charged by pools.

Of course, it may make people leave the pool ...

It simply makes the miners get what some consider less value for their shares than if hoppers didn't hop.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2011, 04:44:17 AM

Um - as you do well know (or all those pages of guff you have written are based on a severe lack of knowledge)
Pool hopping does not make a Prop pool lose n% needed to be covered by fees.
So it has nothing to do with the fees charged by pools.

Of course, it may make people leave the pool ...

It simply makes the miners get what some consider less value for their shares than if hoppers didn't hop.
I put two blank lines to clarify that the hopping comment has nothing to do with the PPS fee comment.

The hopping comment was addressing all the people who were talking as if there is nothing wrong with proportional and looking for a small proportional pool.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 05:02:01 AM

Ah OK - maybe something a bit more obvious that you were going on a complete tangent Cheesy

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2011, 05:40:34 AM

Watching.

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 12:11:39 PM

You might consider even if a pool has merged mining i.e. it mines namecoins with no additional effort on your part. At current exchange rate it means a +1% bonus.
ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 03:05:33 AM

What's generally considered the best pool to join that someone could link me to, or perhaps even a website that is reputable that handles rankings? I'm not so sure solo mining is going to get me anything.

I'm churning out 870 mh/s, I'm unsure if that's good enough for solo'ing exactly, or if I'm even doing this correctly. If that is good enough for solo what's a really good guide for solo mining that goes into great detail so a noob like me can learn the ropes to it?

What's the best software for mining? I'm currently using GUIMiner for my 2x 5870's and my 4670, is that good?

Also, my bitcoin wallet program had to be re-installed and I've lost my original receive coins address, is there a way to get this back or should I just concentrate on the new address?

EclipseMC is the best I know...

You can have:

1- Payouts directly to your PayPal account! Instead of Bitcoins!;
2- SMS alerts of everything! New blocks founds, wallet changes, cashouts, offline miners, etc...

It will be awesome when EclipseMC reaches 200GHash!!

Cheers!
Thiago
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: