Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining rig with server boards,  (Read 199 times)
aliitp2 (OP)

Activity: 260
Merit: 46

View Profile
February 26, 2021, 11:02:45 PM

i have a couple of server motherboards been sitting around for a while, this is my first mining rig and id like some help getting it to work...

both boards have 2x CPUs (each) and lots of RAM (which i wont need for mining i know...)

I will probably be filling up the PCI-E Slots with 3060 Ti and 3070 (for now) using risers which i purchased from gpurisers.com

i am pretty sure the boards wont detect the cards immediately as am reading a lot that BIOS settings need to be done to support many GPUs on a single motherboards,

So what settings i will need to do for those boards or any other Intel motherboards in general ?...

need help to get started, thanks...
FireBallex

Activity: 462
Merit: 19

View Profile
February 27, 2021, 07:17:24 AM

You heard wrong, there are some motherboards that won't be needing any BIOS mod or updates to detect all graphics cards onboard, I have two separate rigs here that I don't even look into it's BIOS name at all because it detect all 6 cards with no issue

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
aliitp2 (OP)

View Profile
February 28, 2021, 03:37:32 PM

You heard wrong, there are some motherboards that won't be needing any BIOS mod or updates to detect all graphics cards onboard, I have two separate rigs here that I don't even look into it's BIOS name at all because it detect all 6 cards with no issue

I do hope am wrong and ur right! But I started with my asus x99 deluxe, crappy board if u ask me ! Couldn't get more than 1x gpu (1080 ti) to run on it, adding my other 3060 ti (even one) will make the screen go black once in windows ! Some pcie slots on that board won't even allow os to boot ! Bad start if u ask me !...
batsonxl

Activity: 1196
Merit: 26

View Profile
February 28, 2021, 04:51:39 PM

I do hope am wrong and ur right! But I started with my asus x99 deluxe, crappy board if u ask me ! Couldn't get more than 1x gpu (1080 ti) to run on it, adding my other 3060 ti (even one) will make the screen go black once in windows ! Some pcie slots on that board won't even allow os to boot ! Bad start if u ask me !...
Strange i have little brother of yours x79 from msi with 3930k, it is running very well with 4gpu.I never change anything in the bios of that,i just keep adding and it worked always. 5gpu i did not tried because i dont have space.
About server boards i think you will need both cpu installed otherwise some pcie lanes may not detect (im not sure so search it)
aliitp2 (OP)

View Profile
February 28, 2021, 10:14:22 PM

Strange i have little brother of yours x79 from msi with 3930k, it is running very well with 4gpu.I never change anything in the bios of that,i just keep adding and it worked always. 5gpu i did not tried because i dont have space.
About server boards i think you will need both cpu installed otherwise some pcie lanes may not detect (im not sure so search it)

r u having 4 GPUs on risers ? and YES i have both CPUs installed on the server board Smiley
batsonxl

Activity: 1196
Merit: 26

View Profile
March 01, 2021, 05:14:58 AM

r u having 4 GPUs on risers ? and YES i have both CPUs installed on the server board Smiley
Yes 3 gpus are on risers 1 gpu on 1st 16x slot because this mobo and cpu dont give onboard vga. Psu is 1000w crappy huntek sliver psu but working.
aliitp2 (OP)

View Profile
March 04, 2021, 01:25:06 AM

Yes 3 gpus are on risers 1 gpu on 1st 16x slot because this mobo and cpu dont give onboard vga. Psu is 1000w crappy huntek sliver psu but working.

do you think if my crappy x99 board just wont support more than 2 GPUs, do you think using one of these can be a good work around to trick the board to add mroe GPUs ?...
https://www.amazon.ae/dp/B07CSQDHBV?psc=1&pf_rd_p=61979bca-5bc7-4f08-b7f8-874f271df9b3&pf_rd_r=VDB2F9G58VAY4SAP8QNF&pd_rd_wg=S76NO&pd_rd_i=B07CSQDHBV&pd_rd_w=nv9c0&pd_rd_r=e6de7eb0-f4cc-4951-8573-c91c6be70d3a&ref_=pd_luc_rh_ci_mcx_mr_huc_d_01_01_t_img_lh

kind of a worse case scenario if am STUCK with this board for a while...

thanks,
miner29

Activity: 1264
Merit: 138

View Profile
March 04, 2021, 02:16:58 AM

do you think if my crappy x99 board just wont support more than 2 GPUs, do you think using one of these can be a good work around to trick the board to add mroe GPUs ?...
https://www.amazon.ae/dp/B07CSQDHBV?psc=1&pf_rd_p=61979bca-5bc7-4f08-b7f8-874f271df9b3&pf_rd_r=VDB2F9G58VAY4SAP8QNF&pd_rd_wg=S76NO&pd_rd_i=B07CSQDHBV&pd_rd_w=nv9c0&pd_rd_r=e6de7eb0-f4cc-4951-8573-c91c6be70d3a&ref_=pd_luc_rh_ci_mcx_mr_huc_d_01_01_t_img_lh

thanks,

They work.  Can probably only run one in the system.  But that would get you 4-5 gpus instead of 2. 
aliitp2 (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2021, 06:45:39 PM

thanks a lot for all ur advise guys finally this rig is up and this is the utube video am sharing with you Smiley
https://youtu.be/cmQDMLm5ayw

enojy,

thanks,

thanks,

They work.  Can probably only run one in the system.  But that would get you 4-5 gpus instead of 2. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: