Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 07:34:26 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Show me your watt power draw  (Read 102 times)
Daodex (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 12

View Profile
March 04, 2021, 04:19:53 PM

Can someone actually prove to me that their single rig is pulling more watt power than what miner software is displaying? Show me some wattmeter result and I'd shut up thanks, anyways I'm just too poor to buy a wattmetter like some suggested

adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1723

View Profile
March 04, 2021, 04:24:41 PM

The real power from the wall will always be higher than what is displayed in your miner software. There are a few reasons for this.

With GPUs like the RX 470 the power consumption displayed there is only the GPU compute power and doesn’t include the memory controller power which is another 30-40 watts or so.

Another reason is the miner software has no idea how much power your motherboard, fan, SSD, cpus are consuming. These are usually 30-40 watts per system.

Another is your choice of PSU. You got a Good PSU with 90% efficiency it will use less power than a PSU with 75% efficiency.

shiftoshi

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 04, 2021, 04:42:38 PM

Hive OS rig with 2 cards. Hive OS says its 175w.

470 4gb
1060 3gb
Intel g3220
8 gb ram

Wall socket says 300w. System without cards is 55w.

Cards use 245w so HiveOS is off by 65w.
fmz89
Legendary

Activity: 1766
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 05, 2021, 12:22:52 PM

Can someone actually prove to me that their single rig is pulling more watt power than what miner software is displaying? Show me some wattmeter result and I'd shut up thanks, anyways I'm just too poor to buy a wattmetter like some suggested
lol you can buy gpu but to poor for buying 10$ wattmeter and yeah miner only showing core gpu, not include memory & board watt, you should buy one just in case for monitoring when you optimized the gpus efficiency

▄█▀                       ▀█▄
 ██           ▄▄ ▄▄           ██
███       ▄ ▄███ ███▄ ▄       ███
████▄   ███ ████ ████ ███   ▄████
 ██████████ ███▀ ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄██████
  ▀▀███████  ▀▄█████████ ████▀▀
       ███▀▄ ██████▀▀▀ ▄▄
       █▀▄██ ████▄▄█▀▄████
        ████ ▀█████▄▀██▀
        ████ █▄▀█████▄
        ████  ▀▀ █████▀
         ▀▀█      ▀█▀
.REXX.|||
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████▀    ▐███████
███████████    ▄▄█████████
▐██████████▀    ▀▀█████████▌
▐█████████▌       █████████▌
▐███████████    ███████████▌
███████████    ███████████
██████████    ██████████
▀████████▄  ▄████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀  █████
████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
████████████████▄▄██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
████ ▄▀██████████  █████
██████▄▀▄▀██████  ████████
▐████████▄▀▄▀██  ██████████▌
▐██████████▄▀▄ ████████████▌
▐██████████  ▄▀▄▀██████████▌
████████  ████▄▀▄▀████████
█████  ████████▄▀ ██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|.BUY REXX.
MCcryptonia

Activity: 155
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 05, 2021, 03:02:35 PM

The real power from the wall will always be higher than what is displayed in your miner software. There are a few reasons for this.

With GPUs like the RX 470 the power consumption displayed there is only the GPU compute power and doesn’t include the memory controller power which is another 30-40 watts or so.

Another reason is the miner software has no idea how much power your motherboard, fan, SSD, cpus are consuming. These are usually 30-40 watts per system.

Another is your choice of PSU. You got a Good PSU with 90% efficiency it will use less power than a PSU with 75% efficiency.

Sorry if my question sounds dump, how will one know a PSU that has 90% efficiency? Isn't 400 watt draw a 400watt draw? Are you saying some power supplies can draw more than 400 watt draw if they are 75% efficiency? I will wait for a reply on this

tg88
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1412

View Profile
March 05, 2021, 03:37:47 PM

This rig of the photo has 2 psu corsair RM1000X, 11 x 1660 super and 2 x 3060 ti the phoenixminer displays 1014 watts and 1144 watts in the wattmeter. I hope it helps you save money on the watt meter.
HashingTower

Activity: 285
Merit: 11

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
March 05, 2021, 04:16:31 PM

This rig of the photo has 2 psu corsair RM1000X, 11 x 1660 super and 2 x 3060 ti the phoenixminer displays 1014 watts and 1144 watts in the wattmeter. I hope it helps you save money on the watt meter.
That is a reasonable result compared to what shiftoshi got, I'm guessing that's because he is using AMD gpu? I heard they draw insane amount of watts from the wall compare to what mining software is reading, yours have a close result because you are using Nvidia gpu, well done

adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1723

View Profile
March 05, 2021, 04:27:29 PM

Sorry if my question sounds dump, how will one know a PSU that has 90% efficiency? Isn't 400 watt draw a 400watt draw? Are you saying some power supplies can draw more than 400 watt draw if they are 75% efficiency? I will wait for a reply on this

Yes there is a difference. Different components inside the PSU determine how efficient it can be. The more efficient the more expensive parts it uses.

When a PSU says 400Watts, its the max power it can deliver to your computer. If the effiency is 90%, it means 10% is lost due to heat. So from the wall it might pull 440 Watts.

However the curve is most efficient when you are pulling around 50% load, so if you are maxing out the PSU, it might only be like 85% efficient and if you are only using 10% load it might also be 85% efficient. This is why there is usually a curve drawn on the box to show you this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: