Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:52:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Forgot btc passphrase to hidden wallet please help  (Read 290 times)
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509

View Profile
March 12, 2021, 08:41:17 AM

is the address absolutely essential? i have some btc sent address from my wallets in my exchanger maybe one of them is from the hidden wallet, also i can try to dig some info from shapeshift history, some btc receive address maybe one of them is the hidden wallet, if i got maybe some potential sent or receive address, can btcrecover find the exact hidden wallet?
A specific address is very useful, but if you have a handful of addresses and are not sure which one it is, you can build a small address database from these addresses (provided you are sure that at least one of them is from the passphrase protected wallet). This would prevent you from having to create/download a several gigabyte address database file. Although in terms of the length of time taken to perform the brute-force, the difference between checking against a single address or a large address database won't make that much difference:

The main time cost in this process is in downloading the blockchain and generating the AddressDB, the actual checking part of the process runs at about the same speed regardless of whether it is being tested against a single address or an addressDB with 600,000 addresses in it... So if you are even a bit unsure about the addresses your wallet used, an AddressDB is very worthwhile

the last transaction is from around mid 2018
The simplest thing to do in that case would be to either create your own database with the handful of addresses you mentioned above, or to download the pre-made one I linked to earlier in this thread, which contains all used addresses up to January 2021.
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16587

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2021, 10:07:00 AM

That can't be right for all addresses, my list of all Bitcoin addresses ever used is 16 GB compressed.
Out of curiosity... how many addresses are in your list of all addresses ever used? Huh I've just run the create-address-db.py script... and it came up with 793,722,051 unique addresses (as at ~block# 674206)
I counted last summer:
Some interesting (?) statistics (updated until blockchair_bitcoin_outputs_20200719.tsv.gz)

Unique address count: 693,180,830
1... address count: 470,943,308
3... address count: 167,941,821
bc1q... address count: 39,137,878
...-... (with a "dash") weird address count: 15,157,808
That makes your current number plausible.

I'm starting to think gzip compression does a terrible job at compressing Bitcoin addresses.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: