Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:51:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Consensus on Colors  (Read 138 times)
venturabay (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 13, 2021, 03:27:39 AM

Hey everyone,
This is fairly random, but I just thought of this fairly complex psychological question and wanted to get other people's opinions on it. Essentially, how do people universally know that a particular color looks the same? A color is initially learned, and later communicated, by association. If I see a stop sign that to somebody else may look blue, for example, the person seeing blue would still consider the color to be red because somebody else had taught that person the association between objects and color. Is there any way to recognize if a group of people can see color differently? Obviously color-blindness exists, but I'm thinking more in the realm of seeing a different color altogether. The only thing I can think of at the moment is if two different, otherwise contrasting colors, do not mix together, then that could indicate different color perception.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
semobo

Activity: 1498
Merit: 146

View Profile
March 13, 2021, 12:45:09 PM

Certainly possible, if you take a new born baby or group of babies and teach them red as blue and blue as red from the beginning then they will recognize the red as blue so its not a random process, this is what your brain tells you while recognizing something.
Mauser

Activity: 1778
Merit: 528

View Profile
March 13, 2021, 09:05:07 PM

Hey everyone,
This is fairly random, but I just thought of this fairly complex psychological question and wanted to get other people's opinions on it. Essentially, how do people universally know that a particular color looks the same? A color is initially learned, and later communicated, by association. If I see a stop sign that to somebody else may look blue, for example, the person seeing blue would still consider the color to be red because somebody else had taught that person the association between objects and color. Is there any way to recognize if a group of people can see color differently? Obviously color-blindness exists, but I'm thinking more in the realm of seeing a different color altogether. The only thing I can think of at the moment is if two different, otherwise contrasting colors, do not mix together, then that could indicate different color perception.

I read an article about someone explaining colors to a blind person. He said for example green, is the fresh color. The gras is green and when it is freshly cut the air smells especially fresh. Or the ocean and sky is blue, so a fresh breeze in the summer morning is refreshing. So even though a person can't see a color we have the same feeling as humans. Giving names to these feelings a just a way to communicate. When not looking at the color blind people, I think the awareness of humans is pretty similar across the board.
boyptc

Activity: 2996
Merit: 680

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
March 14, 2021, 03:21:10 AM

Ask 3-5 people.

And you will know the certain color of what you're asking them. Whether friends or not, I doubt it that someone will fool with their answers if it's a serious concern about eyesight and color blindness.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
decodx

Activity: 1428
Merit: 931

🇺🇦 Glory to Ukraine!

View Profile
March 14, 2021, 11:54:17 AM

Hey everyone,

I read an article about someone explaining colors to a blind person. He said for example green, is the fresh color. The gras is green and when it is freshly cut the air smells especially fresh. Or the ocean and sky is blue, so a fresh breeze in the summer morning is refreshing. So even though a person can't see a color we have the same feeling as humans. Giving names to these feelings a just a way to communicate. When not looking at the color blind people, I think the awareness of humans is pretty similar across the board.

Exactly. That is why red is associated with hot (or warm) and blue for cold. Because the fire is red-orange in color and cold objects are usually darker in color (especially at night because due to lack of light everything turns to darkened shades of gray). And blue is at the opposite end of the color spectrum.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
libertasbella
Copper Member

Activity: 155
Merit: 8

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2021, 05:16:31 PM

There is no way of telling whether people perceive colors the same way you do.

On a related note, you'd be interested in the Asch Conformity Experiment. It showed that people adjust their perception to fall in line with what others say.

DeFi tutorials for noobs and normies. Merchandise for apes and chads who want to share the love with our libertarian clothing and 2nd Amendment shirts.  "Liberty is beautiful" for all - only at Libertas Bella.
TommyGunnn

Activity: 17

View Profile
March 15, 2021, 12:11:28 AM

There is no way of telling whether people perceive colors the same way you do.

On a related note, you'd be interested in the Asch Conformity Experiment. It showed that people adjust their perception to fall in line with what others say.
Didn't VSauce do a video about this a long time ago? I remember it being interesting and he seemed to suggest that there was a way of proving this...
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
March 15, 2021, 01:07:49 AM
Last edit: March 15, 2021, 01:42:57 AM by franky1

the OP is talking about colour. not conformating of teaching your self someting is something else

means
someone reading this physically sees it as the same range as blood.. traffic stop lights

but some people see it as grey(colour blind)
this is because their eye cant tell the light frequency of the red spectrum so just throws it into the monochrome spectrum

however the colours are not randomly picked as you grow to associate tomato/blood/traffic stops with the english word red.

its actually your brain knowing the frequency wavelengths of light

its not that a red wavelength refracts in the eye to change colour (to a totally different wave length).
a strawberry emit the same frequency to everyone (unless colourblind) and everyone brain knows its the same frequency they all get

as for assigning a colour to that frequency
this is not some pot luck brain trick of randomly taging a shade to a frequency.

because the frequency has minor alterations

because if you picked randomly that
400nm was what we deem yellow
425nm was what we deem blue

then because theres no increment of green inbetween. we would see a weird sudden colour swap of yellow-blue rather than a nice progression of violet to indego
imagine instead of a steady smooth transition it was instead
||||||

looks ugly.. no pattern. no reference of it being linked to any close nearby shade

so knowing when you are seeing strawberry red.. you and everyone else is seeing its near the orange and pink family but no where near the blue family of frequency

next is the false theory that people have different assigned spectrum start-end 'colors'
EG
VBGYOR
BGYORV
GYORVB
YORVBG
ORVBGY
RVBGYO
but this is not the case.
each shade goes from darkest at the edges to clear/brightest at the centre
so white/yellow will always be the centre
yep whatis the sun.. and pure blinding light.. is the center colour. and yes its white/yellow

which can then only leave 2 options of formating the brains colour spectrum
VBGYOR
ROYGBV

black dark forms at both the ends of the spectrum
but knowing a dark purple/blue sky is at one side and dark red at the other.

your brain knows that purple is at the lower bands and reds at the higher bands of the nm wavelegth
so the order is
VBGYOR

it definetly wont start with yellow and end with blue and red beside each other at the other end

people can actually say orange in 1 direction turns to yellow and in other direction turns to red. when presented with known wavelengths.
and they all see their vision no longer able to see whats beyond the red spectrum(infrared). so they know red is the final shade. then going backward. they know that violet is the first colour they see when coming from ultraviolet(375) to the visible violet spectrum of 400nm

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
TommyGunnn

Activity: 17

View Profile
March 15, 2021, 12:03:08 PM

the OP is talking about colour. not conformating of teaching your self someting is something else

means
someone reading this physically sees it as the same range as blood.. traffic stop lights

but some people see it as grey(colour blind)
this is because their eye cant tell the light frequency of the red spectrum so just throws it into the monochrome spectrum

however the colours are not randomly picked as you grow to associate tomato/blood/traffic stops with the english word red.

its actually your brain knowing the frequency wavelengths of light

its not that a red wavelength refracts in the eye to change colour (to a totally different wave length).
a strawberry emit the same frequency to everyone (unless colourblind) and everyone brain knows its the same frequency they all get

as for assigning a colour to that frequency
this is not some pot luck brain trick of randomly taging a shade to a frequency.

because the frequency has minor alterations
https://static.sciencelearn.org.nz/images/images/000/000/037/embed/LIS_SCI_ART_02_Colours_of_light_visible_spectrum_waves_v3.jpg?1589331445
because if you picked randomly that
400nm was what we deem yellow
425nm was what we deem blue

then because theres no increment of green inbetween. we would see a weird sudden colour swap of yellow-blue rather than a nice progression of violet to indego
imagine instead of a steady smooth transition it was instead
||||||

looks ugly.. no pattern. no reference of it being linked to any close nearby shade

so knowing when you are seeing strawberry red.. you and everyone else is seeing its near the orange and pink family but no where near the blue family of frequency

next is the false theory that people have different assigned spectrum start-end 'colors'
EG
VBGYOR
BGYORV
GYORVB
YORVBG
ORVBGY
RVBGYO
but this is not the case.
each shade goes from darkest at the edges to clear/brightest at the centre
so white/yellow will always be the centre
yep whatis the sun.. and pure blinding light.. is the center colour. and yes its white/yellow

which can then only leave 2 options of formating the brains colour spectrum
VBGYOR
ROYGBV

black dark forms at both the ends of the spectrum
but knowing a dark purple/blue sky is at one side and dark red at the other.

your brain knows that purple is at the lower bands and reds at the higher bands of the nm wavelegth
so the order is
VBGYOR

it definetly wont start with yellow and end with blue and red beside each other at the other end

people can actually say orange in 1 direction turns to yellow and in other direction turns to red. when presented with known wavelengths.
and they all see their vision no longer able to see whats beyond the red spectrum(infrared). so they know red is the final shade. then going backward. they know that violet is the first colour they see when coming from ultraviolet(375) to the visible violet spectrum of 400nm

This is awesome

"/thread"
Ucy

Activity: 2576
Merit: 402

View Profile
March 15, 2021, 02:56:37 PM

I believe most people can identify a color and compare it with similar color around them without learning that. If you ask most people what colour around them a green tree looks like, majority will likely compare it with colourscolour that look green. Though their answers may vary slightly from the original colour but they will look similar. That will probably prove they know what green colour is, and other colours will likely be viewed thesame by majority of people.
decodx

🇺🇦 Glory to Ukraine!

View Profile
March 16, 2021, 01:44:57 PM

In fact, when I think about it, I have some friends who could never distinguish some shades of color no matter how many times someone tried to explain the difference to them. It's just how their brain si arranged so they can't distinguish between a small change in the wavelength of light as most people can. It is estimated that a person with normal color vision perceives up to one million different shades of colour.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
crypto mushroom

Activity: 40

View Profile
March 17, 2021, 09:29:43 AM

I think people see colors the same way because we all have the same biology. For example, dogs (or many other predators) see the world in black and white because this way they can better see the moving objects they are hunting. Well, people have different needs - we need to understand colors in order to pick fruits (fruits/vegetables/berries, etc., which are all different colors, so as not to be confused with poisonous ones).

In general, as far as I understand, color is just a reflection of sunlight (or other light source). I was very surprised when I learned that the color of an object depends simply on the structure of the surface from which the light is reflected. It turns out that a color is just an uneven surface of a certain type Shocked
decodx

🇺🇦 Glory to Ukraine!

View Profile
March 17, 2021, 03:34:01 PM

I was very surprised when I learned that the color of an object depends simply on the structure of the surface from which the light is reflected. It turns out that a color is just an uneven surface of a certain type Shocked

This isn't exactly right. The wavelengths of light that an object reflects are determined by the arrangement of electrons in the atoms on its surface. Different substances absorb and re-emit photons of varying energies according to complicated quantum laws. 
Most plant leaves, for example, contain a pigment called chlorophyll, which absorbs photons of the blue and red colors of the spectrum while reflecting the green. It has almost nothing to do with the uneven surface texture, so we have leaves that are rough or smooth to the touch but still green in color.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
JillianTaft

Activity: 135
Merit: 16

View Profile
March 18, 2021, 02:53:21 AM

sometimes people conceive different opinions towards some color. like yellow and orange, blue and green, orange and red, red and purple...colors can vary under different lights coz lights have their own color as well. when colors are superimposed, the outcome is different from its parent color Lips sealed
sportclub2010

Activity: 1582
Merit: 117

View Profile
May 12, 2021, 07:22:15 PM

Is there any way to recognize if a group of people can see color differently?
Give this group of people colored pencils and ask them to draw shapes in different colors. For example, green, red, purple ... Then see who draws what.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: