Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 06:32:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Miner is not Hashing | Started after 1 and half Year | Please Help!  (Read 87 times)
so98nn (OP)

Activity: 2086
Merit: 603

View Profile
March 14, 2021, 02:27:39 PM

Hello Guys!

So I had this miner turned off as it is since 1 and half years! Well you can imagine why is that. The lockdown, emergency shifting and bunch of other factors.

Few days ago I have initiated this miner. Got it updated with the command:
Code:
sudo ethos-update && sleep 5 && sudo reboot
. Rig successfully booted.

Then got the miners updated itself for the services and other upgrade with this command:
Code:
sudo update-miners && sudo service ethos-miner-monitor restart

After getting updated to the latest version also the Miners are stubborn and don't hash at all.

The fans are spinning pretty fast as if they are mining!! But screen shows 0 hash.

Also is there anyway ethOS / nanopool has removed my worker from the server? Can that affect it?

Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
March 14, 2021, 02:48:31 PM

ethOS hasn't been updated in over 2 years. It doesn't have support for the latest miners, drivers or cards. I would switch to SMOS or HiveOS. Also the ETH DAG size has exceeded 4GB, so 4GB GPU's are no longer supported. There are some miner work around, like with lolminer.
so98nn (OP)

View Profile
March 14, 2021, 03:01:55 PM

ethOS hasn't been updated in over 2 years. It doesn't have support for the latest miners, drivers or cards. I would switch to SMOS or HiveOS. Also the ETH DAG size has exceeded 4GB, so 4GB GPU's are no longer supported. There are some miner work around, like with lolminer.

So I need to switch to a different OS ?

Any guide you can help me with ?

(Not a techy guy, read and perform).
Vann

View Profile
March 14, 2021, 03:18:41 PM

You may be able to cobble ethOS together to get it to run, but why take the time when there are better and current options. SMOS is the simplest option as it is all setup through a web interface and has an extensive startup, knowledge base and support. It has a 30 day free trial for new users and costs nothing upfront.

https://simplemining.net

HiveOS is another similar option.

https://hiveos.farm

You could also build your rig from scratch on Windows or Linux.

https://2miners.com/blog/build-ethereum-mining-rig-2019

http://mining.help
so98nn (OP)

View Profile
March 14, 2021, 03:26:33 PM

You may be able to cobble ethOS together to get it to run, but why take the time when there are better and current options. SMOS is the simplest option as it is all setup through a web interface and has an extensive startup, knowledge base and support. It has a 30 day free trial for new users and costs nothing upfront.
[...]

Thanks mate. That looks really promising.  I will start reading about these options right away. I’m not sure why it free trail and then no cost up front kind but will read first to know more about it. Thanks.

Edit:

Cool. Saw their costing structure. And yeah it’s nothing at all. Just a buck per rig. That’s amazing man.   Grin
miner29

Activity: 1264
Merit: 138

View Profile
March 14, 2021, 04:27:55 PM

ive got 23 rigs on ethos.

it will work fine for him just needs to update.

update to 1.3.3

Then go install the miner-manager script here

https://github.com/cynixx3/third-party-miner-installer-for-ethos

Then you can load all newest miners...claymore is not useful anymore.  For your cards run Teamredminer.

Any questions post up.

Since you already paid for Ethos why not keep that buck....your cards are not new enough to be a problem.
Vann

View Profile
March 14, 2021, 05:29:32 PM
Last edit: March 14, 2021, 05:50:27 PM by Vann

Since you already paid for Ethos why not keep that buck....your cards are not new enough to be a problem.

For one thing, the latest ethOS build is based on Ubuntu 14 which has reached End of Life and hasn't received any security or maintenance updates since 2019. You would be better off setting up your own Linux distro from scratch. For the small price you pay, SMOS and other current mining distro options make it easy to securely manage your rigs remotely which saves time and increases productivity.
so98nn (OP)

View Profile
March 15, 2021, 04:45:19 AM

[...]

I already got updated with latest version and that was the first step I followed. However, I havent loaded the newer script and that could be the problem. Since for the mining is not routine I am learning different stuff everyday by watching videos and bitcointalk forum topics.

I have one rig up and running with ethOS. Unfortunately another one got corrupted and that's why searching for alternative.

SMOS looks amazing and I was able to set it up within an hour! ethOS is way more difficult for me. I was surprised to see the SMOS support over discord. My querries were solved within few minutes after posting my problems.

For one thing, the latest ethOS build is based on Ubuntu 14 which has reached End of Life and hasn't received any security or maintenance updates since 2019. You would be better off setting up your own Linux distro from scratch. For the small price you pay, SMOS and other current mining distro options make it easy to securely manage your rigs remotely which saves time and increases productivity.
Thanks @Vann! You were the one who directed to me towards SMOS and it was worth it.

Recommended for anyone who is new in the world of mining.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: