Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 05:41:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining with 2 HD6970 2GB  (Read 241 times)
roat (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 15, 2021, 03:16:52 PM

Greetings,

I have an old Celsius Workstation equipped with two AMD HD6970 2GB, connected through Crossfire. Due a bit of luck electricity is free for me at the moment, so I´d like to let it run a bit. What is the best Miner for my setup? I´d prefer a simple gui, but I´d also go with a robust CLI version of anything.

Thanks for your input
roat

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1709

View Profile
March 15, 2021, 03:41:11 PM

Cant mining anything worth while with that GPU. It was old even in the Scrypt days and never even optimized due to its age. Even with free power you are wasting your time.

My advice, since there is a GPU shortage you should just throw them on Facebook marketplace or Craiglist and sell it as a Crossfire setup. Somebody will buy it most likely because there is no supply out there. You will get more money this way than you would mining anything at the moment.

You can't mine ETH because its only 2GB, with ETH you need 6GB or higher at the moment.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1031

View Profile
March 15, 2021, 04:45:57 PM

Your video cards are useless in mining even with free electricity.
If you want to mine, then sell them and buy at least 2 used rx470 video cards (4GB).
When installed into a motherboard without using raisers, the hashrate can be from 18 to 25 megahash from each card.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
FloridaKid

Activity: 375
Merit: 15

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
March 16, 2021, 05:59:33 AM

I still have one of this gpu in my basement, it's very good for cryptonight coins honestly, if you can find a good cryptonight coin that's profitable to mine then you can give a try, the card do more than 800Hashrate when mining cryptonight algorithm

CryptoATM

Activity: 368
Merit: 15

View Profile
March 16, 2021, 06:56:22 AM

If you want to mine, then sell them and buy at least 2 used rx470 video cards (4GB).
When installed into a motherboard without using raisers, the hashrate can be from 18 to 25 megahash from each card.

With free electricity it's worth mining with hd69** series because these cards can do 3.47H on BTG (Zhash) and that's equals to 2.68$ per day presently, it's because these cards are old that's why most mining calculators don't show them up presently
FP91G
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2021, 04:00:23 PM

With free electricity it's worth mining with hd69** series because these cards can do 3.47H on BTG (Zhash) and that's equals to 2.68$ per day presently, it's because these cards are old that's why most mining calculators don't show them up presently
Have you compared AMD Radeon RX 470 vs Radeon HD6970 2048MB Graphics Cards?
AMD Radeon RX 470 has higher video chip frequency, higher number of universal processors, higher maximum memory bandwidth, and it is much faster and more modern.
What then is the hashrate of the Radeon RX 470?

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
batsonxl

Activity: 1196
Merit: 26

View Profile
March 17, 2021, 05:24:49 AM

Wooow hd6900 doing 2.68$ per day. must super duper coin that giving.
HardCore12V

Activity: 223
Merit: 13

View Profile
March 17, 2021, 05:47:56 AM

Wooow hd6900 doing 2.68$ per day. must super duper coin that giving.
It's wrong information, HD6900 can only bring 2.68$ per month not per day, I'm guessing the calculator that CryptoATM used isn't working right, hd series are not profitable for mining anymore

FP91G
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2021, 01:10:39 PM

In this post, the user wrote that he earns $ 12 from mining per day on 5 old processors Cheesy
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5324242.msg56579459#msg56579459

I spent a little time, found the hashrates of these processors and the profit turned out to be 60 cents a day.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5324242.msg56582024#msg56582024
This is if the electricity is free. If electricity is paid, then mining is not profitable.

If you carry out calculations for these video cards, I am sure the profit will be very small.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1709

View Profile
March 18, 2021, 04:13:24 AM
Merited by FP91G (1)

You don't need any calculators to figure out that this GPU is useless at mining. I remember when it came out and it was about a decade ago, somewhere in the year 2010. Its successor was the Radeon 79xx series. So basically the HD7950,7970, and R9 280X. And these days you can't even find anything decent to mine on those GPUs which are a huge step above in performance and have more memory.

I actually had the HD6990 which was the dual GPU version of the 6970. It was a pretty powerful card. It could mine BTC, LTC, X11, ETH and ZEC. Basically it was a huge power hog however it was like 40nm technology instead of the 14nm in the newer GPUs. Hence not ideal for mining at all.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Bare

Activity: 130
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 24, 2021, 01:58:11 AM

You don't need any calculators to figure out that this GPU is useless at mining. I remember when it came out and it was about a decade ago, somewhere in the year 2010. Its successor was the Radeon 79xx series. So basically the HD7950,7970, and R9 280X. And these days you can't even find anything decent to mine on those GPUs which are a huge step above in performance and have more memory.

I actually had the HD6990 which was the dual GPU version of the 6970. It was a pretty powerful card. It could mine BTC, LTC, X11, ETH and ZEC. Basically it was a huge power hog however it was like 40nm technology instead of the 14nm in the newer GPUs. Hence not ideal for mining at all.

ah.. the good ol' days. I had 2x HD5970(also dual GPU) both supplied with arctic coolers as my first mining/gaming cards
I remember they could withstand worse mining environments unlike the later cards probably because of the larger fab process - 28nm,
vrm @105-110c was totally fine for them.
One of them is still in working condition.

Cheers!
fmz89
Legendary

Activity: 1766
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 24, 2021, 10:50:11 AM

this card came up at bitcoin release and before tahiti which is the first gpu has advantage doing good number on compute performance, the 5000series is better compared this card,

▄█▀                       ▀█▄
 ██           ▄▄ ▄▄           ██
███       ▄ ▄███ ███▄ ▄       ███
████▄   ███ ████ ████ ███   ▄████
 ██████████ ███▀ ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄██████
  ▀▀███████  ▀▄█████████ ████▀▀
       ███▀▄ ██████▀▀▀ ▄▄
       █▀▄██ ████▄▄█▀▄████
        ████ ▀█████▄▀██▀
        ████ █▄▀█████▄
        ████  ▀▀ █████▀
         ▀▀█      ▀█▀
.REXX.|||
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████▀    ▐███████
███████████    ▄▄█████████
▐██████████▀    ▀▀█████████▌
▐█████████▌       █████████▌
▐███████████    ███████████▌
███████████    ███████████
██████████    ██████████
▀████████▄  ▄████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀  █████
████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
████████████████▄▄██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
████ ▄▀██████████  █████
██████▄▀▄▀██████  ████████
▐████████▄▀▄▀██  ██████████▌
▐██████████▄▀▄ ████████████▌
▐██████████  ▄▀▄▀██████████▌
████████  ████▄▀▄▀████████
█████  ████████▄▀ ██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|.BUY REXX.
shinji.link

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2021, 07:47:37 PM

IMO, that GPU is useless at mining nowadays. You just waste your time setting up the configuration. And if you trying to mine ETH, just forget it man, to mine ETH you need at least 6GB or higher  Cheesy
miner29

Activity: 1262
Merit: 138

View Profile
April 03, 2021, 09:58:44 PM

IMO, that GPU is useless at mining nowadays. You just waste your time setting up the configuration. And if you trying to mine ETH, just forget it man, to mine ETH you need at least 6GB or higher  Cheesy

At least 4gb (5gb without lolminer tricks)...to mine eth. 
CrossroadBTC

Activity: 182
Merit: 14

View Profile
April 04, 2021, 04:55:25 AM

Greetings,

I have an old Celsius Workstation equipped with two AMD HD6970 2GB, connected through Crossfire. Due a bit of luck electricity is free for me at the moment, so I´d like to let it run a bit. What is the best Miner for my setup? I´d prefer a simple gui, but I´d also go with a robust CLI version of anything.

Thanks for your input
roat
You can't mine a thing with those GPUs mate, it's you either used them for graphic work on PC and give them out to some gaming freaks who likes old PC games, if monero still runs on cryptonight this gpu could still make sense but right now they aren't profitable anymore even with free electricity

Ceyflix-Rez

Activity: 420
Merit: 13

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
April 04, 2021, 05:06:35 AM

I still have one of these cards laying around, the last time I used it for mining was in 2018 and it works very well with turtle coin cryptonight-lite algorithm back then, I'm not sure that turtle coin still runs on cn-lite today, you might look for other coins that runs on cn lite

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: