Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 08:52:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Exodus Wallet Question  (Read 150 times)
darkdude (OP)

Activity: 113
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 15, 2021, 05:38:44 PM

If I end up using Exodus wallet to manage BTC and XRP, but one day, Exodus decides to get out of the business and shutdown, will their wallet still work?  From what I can tell their wallet seems to be a hybrid personal wallet but requires you to be online to function.  Is the need to function driven due to the need to sync with the blockchain and if yes, does it sync with nodes on the network or does it need to sync with its master node that it manages that could become offline if it goes out of business.
miner29

Activity: 1264
Merit: 138

View Profile
March 15, 2021, 06:11:46 PM

As long as you are the holder of the wallet seed (keys) then your wallet can be easily moved to another wallet with the seed.

darkdude (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2021, 02:01:15 AM

Thank you!
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1050

View Profile
March 16, 2021, 05:02:08 PM

For long-term storage, it's best to use full node wallets. For bitcoin, this is Bitcoin core, for ripple, find an official wallet too.
With this approach, your coins will be 100% safe.
Only it is probably worth using a separate computer for these purposes.
dubber09

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 16, 2021, 05:35:35 PM

IMHO, for long term storage Trezor or similar wallet are best, they are very portable as well.
For short term with 'use' - crypto.com Visa debit card works great.
Exodus wallet may be a good solution to mine to.
JayDDee

Activity: 1397
Merit: 221

View Profile
March 16, 2021, 07:05:58 PM
Last edit: March 16, 2021, 07:24:20 PM by JayDDee

The "wallet" actually lives on the blockchain. As long as you own the keys, and protect them, you can use any
software to access your wallet. A full node just means you have a local copy of the blockchain, 100s of GB,
but it's the keys that are most important.

Some wallet apps manage the keys on your behalf. Those are the ones that can disappear with your crypto.
They are also only accessible from the app.

Edsemen

Activity: 413
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 16, 2021, 10:43:20 PM

If I end up using Exodus wallet to manage BTC and XRP, but one day, Exodus decides to get out of the business and shutdown, will their wallet still work?  From what I can tell their wallet seems to be a hybrid personal wallet but requires you to be online to function.  Is the need to function driven due to the need to sync with the blockchain and if yes, does it sync with nodes on the network or does it need to sync with its master node that it manages that could become offline if it goes out of business.

Make sure to have a back-up of your wallet seed phrase if you have secured for its safety reason. Don't ingnore this simple methods of preventions, because you might have the assurance that your asset will be recovered when a device will be lost or electronically damaged. Once you can transfer your funds to other wallet like, trust wallet of whatsoever hardware wallet it automatically sync if you're connected online.

darkdude (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2021, 02:04:50 AM

For long-term storage, it's best to use full node wallets. For bitcoin, this is Bitcoin core, for ripple, find an official wallet too.
With this approach, your coins will be 100% safe.
Only it is probably worth using a separate computer for these purposes.

Thank you everyone....

Say for eth, what full node wallet is there.  I tried searching for the "native" full node client but was not too lucky.  Any chance you can point me in the right direction?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: