Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 08:27:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Old mobo PCI-E 2.0 and new AMD 5XXX cards work?  (Read 118 times)
BoMa94 (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 21, 2021, 07:22:45 PM

Hi Guys!

I am a newbie in mining and I have an Asus M4N78-AM mobo with an RX580. They work nice and smooth, but I would like to install another vga. Since my mobo isn't UEFI capable I was wondering an RX5600 XT could work with a single PCI-E x1 slot with a riser? Will the mining software recognize the new card, or I will stuck in BIOS?

Thanks for helping me!

Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
March 22, 2021, 03:55:28 AM

Yes, you can run PCI-E v3 cards on a PCI-E v1.1 and up board as long as you use a card that is recogized by the Bios in the primary PCI-E slot. I was running a HD 7850 PCI-E v2.0 card and two RX 480's with powered USB risers on a Dell XPS 700 motherboard that had PCI-E v 1.1 slots. The speed of the slot makes no difference for mining. The newer PCI-E specifications are able to deliver more power through the slot, but as long as you use powered risers the card can get enough power without overloading the motherboard. The problem I had on the XPS 700 was the BIOS would not recognize the PCI-E v3 cards on Post. I had to use the HD 7850 PCI-E v2 card in the primary PCI-E slot to be able to access the Bios. Once in the OS, all the cards were recognized and mined.
BoMa94 (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2021, 12:00:10 PM

Yes, you can run PCI-E v3 cards on a PCI-E v1.1 and up board as long as you use a card that is recogized by the Bios in the primary PCI-E slot. I was running a HD 7850 PCI-E v2.0 card and two RX 480's with powered USB risers on a Dell XPS 700 motherboard that had PCI-E v 1.1 slots. The speed of the slot makes no difference for mining. The newer PCI-E specifications are able to deliver more power through the slot, but as long as you use powered risers the card can get enough power without overloading the motherboard. The problem I had on the XPS 700 was the BIOS would not recognize the PCI-E v3 cards on Post. I had to use the HD 7850 PCI-E v2 card in the primary PCI-E slot to be able to access the Bios. Once in the OS, all the cards were recognized and mined.

Thanks! So the main thing is I leave the RX580 in the primary pci-e x16 slot, and put the 5600XT in a riser. I hope it will work. Smiley
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1056

View Profile
March 22, 2021, 12:46:42 PM

I had a farm running on an old motherboard with an AM2 socket.
There was 1 port x16 and 3 ports x1. 4 video cards were connected using raisers.
The motherboard lasted for over a year because I bought it second-hand.
For mining, you need at least 4 GB of RAM and a 2-core processor

BoMa94 (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2021, 01:11:00 PM

I had a farm running on an old motherboard with an AM2 socket.
There was 1 port x16 and 3 ports x1. 4 video cards were connected using raisers.
The motherboard lasted for over a year because I bought it second-hand.
For mining, you need at least 4 GB of RAM and a 2-core processor

May I ask what kind of cards did you use?
Bravehash

Activity: 196
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 22, 2021, 01:36:20 PM

Do not worry yourself much, even if you have a core2duo PC which is too oldy today it will still works, I have one now and I'm running three cards on the core2 motherboard ( rx580 x2, gtx1660Ti ), risers works neat on the motherboard with no hiccups

BoMa94 (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2021, 02:20:11 PM

Do not worry yourself much, even if you have a core2duo PC which is too oldy today it will still works, I have one now and I'm running three cards on the core2 motherboard ( rx580 x2, gtx1660Ti ), risers works neat on the motherboard with no hiccups

Thanks! Then my last question is what kind of riser do you recommend? V009S is okay for any card?
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1723

View Profile
March 22, 2021, 04:27:14 PM

I think if its PCIe 1.1 it will work. However if you got a really really old motherboard and its the first generation of PCIe 1.0, then it won't work. It says backwards compatible however I've had issues before in the past.

I forgot which card it was but the GPU worked on all motherboards except one at my place of work. It was a very old, maybe Pentium 4 type of computer and basically as soon as you added the GPU, the fans ran at 100% and didn't post boot or anything like that.

I knew the slot worked because some other cheap GPU worked but the newer generation of GPUs wouldn't work for some reason. So keep in mind that it needs to be 1.1 at least because the original ones won't work with newer GPUs.
BoMa94 (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2021, 07:47:31 PM

I think if its PCIe 1.1 it will work. However if you got a really really old motherboard and its the first generation of PCIe 1.0, then it won't work. It says backwards compatible however I've had issues before in the past.

I forgot which card it was but the GPU worked on all motherboards except one at my place of work. It was a very old, maybe Pentium 4 type of computer and basically as soon as you added the GPU, the fans ran at 100% and didn't post boot or anything like that.

I knew the slot worked because some other cheap GPU worked but the newer generation of GPUs wouldn't work for some reason. So keep in mind that it needs to be 1.1 at least because the original ones won't work with newer GPUs.

This mobo has pci-e 2.0, so I think we are good. Thanks a lot! Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: