Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 08:55:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows wont post when connecting 4th riser and gpu  (Read 134 times)
aliitp2 (OP)

Activity: 260
Merit: 46

View Profile
March 23, 2021, 09:10:12 PM

Hi guys

I recently built my first gpu mining rig with 3x 3060 tis / 3070

Today I got some splitters (seemingly good and high quality) and decided to put on the fourth 3070

With the cards installed I was mining flawlessly for at least 3 days 24/7 straight !....

So now I turned off windows 10

Plugged in the fourth risers 009s and inserted the 3070 onto it...

Started the rig

It booted just fine to windows and since Nvidia drivers already installed for other cards then it started installing drivers for the 4th card

I monitored device manager card was showing with small warning sign and task manager said it was still installing driver repository... after few seconds drivers installed and the card showed PERFECTLY FINE IN DEVICE MANSGER !... But it was time to reboot windows before start using ...

Now I reboot windows, windows is loading but then stuck / freezes during loading and won't post !

Turned off, rebooted, same issue except windows is corrupted and needs to be repaired (apparently something went wrong when it was trying to boot) and it gave me bsod !...

I have Gen 1 enabled for all riser pcie slots and g4 decoding

Plz I need ur help to figure this out I got less knowledge and experience how to troubleshoot such issue

Any options i can try to change in bios ?!?

And is having a lot.of ram sticks on the board can coz such issues?? (It's a servers motherboard with 2 cpus and 192 gb ram)

Help appreciated...

Thanks,
Bravehash

Activity: 196
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 24, 2021, 05:27:51 AM

Motherboard issues can be too complicated at times, have you tried gen 2 on your motherboard first? Also it's possible that RAM could be the culprit because I have a intel motherboard that won't boot with two RAM sticks inserted in the motherboard if I install 4 GPUs on the motherboard, it's a weird issue cos I haven't seen such before

MCcryptonia

Activity: 155
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 24, 2021, 05:32:28 AM

A bad gpu can cause the BSOD
A bad riser can cause the BSOD

I suggest trying all GPUs with a riser one by one and try testing all risers with one GPU one by one too, after this if problem still exists try downloading a mining OS like hiveOS, I'm sure the problem will vanish

jim007

Activity: 12
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 24, 2021, 09:18:52 AM

I had a similar issue with my rig. The first thing I'd recommend is don't do anything crazy like reinstalling windows. The solution is usually the simplest. In my case I solved it by:

1. If you're using two PSU, make sure your gpus share the same psu, don't mix them (pus powering a riser different than the gpu's psu).
2. The gpu that was giving me problems to yours, I connected it by itself on the first pcie slot and installed the drivers. Then I connected the other gpu on the second pcie and installed the drivers. After that, I plugged the rest and windows recognized all.
3. Try one gpu at a time, then keep adding. I'd start with the problematic one.

Make sure to get the DDU app to completelly uninstall nvidia drivers if everything fails, and try again.
aliitp2 (OP)

Activity: 260
Merit: 46

View Profile
March 24, 2021, 08:46:06 PM

well thanks everyone guys, i might have been wrong after all...  Huh

the thing finally booted after a second reboot normally and now am mining for almost 24 hours straight...  Huh its kinda weird !...

the funny part is this...

MY rig will sometimes FREEZE after the first reboot when adding new GPU and installing drivers...

the second time it will start normally and from there on i can reboot 10x indefinitely it will always work fine !

windows only freezes (need to reset) after the first reboot AFTER adding a new GPU, i think it has something to do with the server motherboard am using !...

the only change i did in the bios was disabling Virtualization not sure if that fixed everything !...

Motherboard issues can be too complicated at times, have you tried gen 2 on your motherboard first? Also it's possible that RAM could be the culprit because I have a intel motherboard that won't boot with two RAM sticks inserted in the motherboard if I install 4 GPUs on the motherboard, it's a weird issue cos I haven't seen such before

i couldnt agree more will try to reduce the number of stick, i 12x sticks ATM which came with the server since day one and wroking fine, but i guess its about time i run this rig with less ram slots !...

thanks,
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: