Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:01:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Manipulator is back  (Read 1742 times)
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2011, 09:52:23 PM

After a nice quiet weekend of slow increase in price, the manipulator is back.

With huge bid walls and fluctuating prices.

Get ready for the price to drop. That is the mission of "the manipulator".

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Edward50

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 10:03:09 PM

The manipulator is basically subsidizing the bitcoin price right now. He is paying money out of his own pocket. You have to always look at the fundamentals and understand that supply is much higher than demand, and without the manipulator the price would be in the $1.00 range.

The question remains if he actually profits from selling above his bidwalls. I am not convinced that he is able to do this. I think many more people are still selling than buying, and he will have to buy up alot of bitcoins to hold these higher price levels.

The higher he tries to push the price up the more money it will cost him. It will also cost him exponentially as he pushes higher, as more hoarders decide to take advantage and unload into his bidwalls.

In all honesty he is a fool, and will lose.

Fundamentals will win in the end, I doubt he can be that stupid to throw this much money away buying up all these, basically useless, bitcoins.

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.
gimme_bottles

Activity: 316
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 10:11:27 PM

can't wait for that wall to get pulled out  Grin
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 10:13:54 PM

Look, lol...

First of all, what you describe is not called manipulation, it's called buying. Second, though it is quite possible, I don't see any reason to believe that a single person is buying up half the market. Most of the volume is in smaller trades, and we don't know who orders them. And finally, it's quite a stretch to call Bitcoins useless. If the project does indeed reach critical mass, this large buyer will have made the deal of his lifetime.

And what does this all mean to us? Oh wow, someone put up 150k USD into a single order. That's like what, not even a third of today's trade volume. Get over it, this is vastly insufficient to turn the world upside down.
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2011, 10:17:44 PM

I would have thought that he was smart and manipulating to make money...but after watching long enough, he drives the price down over and over...most often keeping it low before vanishing again

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
epetroel

Activity: 431
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 10:30:28 PM

Saw this today on mtgoxlive.  Apparently the mysterious manipulator wanted to be REALLY sure the price didn't drop below $2.80

Hawkix

Activity: 531
Merit: 505

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2011, 10:38:38 PM

I saw this glitch too, while working with MtGoxLive. I thought its just problem with re-zooming after the bids/asks wall got updated. When I reloaded the page (which unzooms completely), the problem disappeared.

If it was not a glitch in viewer, then, it would indicate that the manipulator is someone from MtGox itself and that he, once again, screwed things a bit.

Donations: 1Hawkix7GHym6SM98ii5vSHHShA3FUgpV6
http://btcportal.net/ - All about Bitcoin - coming soon!
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 02:55:34 AM

Not a glitch, someone genuinely has over $36Billion USD on deposit with mtgox and they're about to make you rich Wink

(coz that's just the kind of fantasy that flies around here!)

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Rejinx

Activity: 728

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 03:05:59 AM

Not a glitch, someone genuinely has over $36Billion USD on deposit with mtgox and they're about to make you rich Wink

That would make the list of possible people a short one. Only 5 poeple in the world with that kind of money.
(Not serious)
bittenbob

Activity: 560

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 03:19:30 AM

Either that or MTGox Live has been having all kinds of bugs lately. I have seen lines that dont make sense and that is likely what this is. They seem to be updating MtGox for some grand reopening in 2 days which is probably causing these glitches. Either that or it is having a hard time keeping up with the volume.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 05:05:26 AM

Maybe Mt. Gox was just testing their systems to make sure that things will be working with the kinds of numbers that will probably be the norm in 2012.  It's prudent to be pro-active with these kinds of things.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2011, 05:15:54 AM

The balance on mtgox is just numbers anyway.

As other possibilities besides that this screenshot is a fake is that mtgox is, and was compromised the whole time.
We really need a decentralized exchange.

Badly.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 05:36:46 AM

It wasn't 13billion BTC, but I did see a 350k order for a minute earlier today. Biggest I've seen until this shot. There have been a few other anomalies on GoxLive lately too. I don't think they've been compromised, or  they would have rolled back... again.  Roll Eyes

old_engineer

Activity: 387
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 06:13:40 AM

As other possibilities besides that this screenshot is a fake is that mtgox is, and was compromised the whole time.

Badly.
Does anyone here use #bitcoin_otc?  I have in the past, but it was dead the last time I visited.
BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 08:01:11 PM

Badly.
Does anyone here use #bitcoin_otc?  I have in the past, but it was dead the last time I visited.
No, I don't use #bitcoin_otc. I use #bitcoin-otc, and it's very much alive Smiley

epetroel

Activity: 431
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 09:05:25 PM

Badly.

I'm sure it was some sort of mtgoxlive bug.  The screenshot isn't a fake, but as soon as I refreshed the page after taking the screenshot, things were back to normal.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: