Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:50:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A bitcoin group buying business / or increase bitcoin demand / stability  (Read 1160 times)
worldly (OP)

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2011, 10:13:55 PM

Hi community,

Since I first discovered bitcoin in July, ive been searching for a potential entry into some kind of business.
After the conference in Prague I was quite surprised just how many developers are in the community that are passionate about bitcoin and are trying to set up some kind of business.  The environment im used to is the opposite, its the entrepreneurs trying to convince a good cto to be passionate about their idea.  Im very surprised more entrepreneurs aren't flocking in.

So here is an idea, (feel free to steal it as long as you tell me where to find it):

If we started a group buying club and targeted an area like:
electricity
fuel card
Telecoms
Hosting
starbucks? (its just an idea)
credit cards
Insurance

Something we all use and spend fiat money on every month.

Set up a group account like a corporate account with these companies. Allow members to pay in bitcoin and pay the bills in fiat.  Profits could be taken from commissions from the service provider and everyone could use hundreds bitcoin every month on living expenses.

Im guessing the states would be the obvious choice due to the numbers as i feel you would need do it country by country.  If you know of any services we all use that dont relate to country then im listening.

If you are a developer and see some issues with the idea, or would like to be involved I would need a few to come in on an equity only deal.

When i was 21 i negotiated a mobile phone deal with a company in Sydney, the prices i negotiated were about half that of regular retailers.  The deal was about to get over the line but i was a bit cocky with my marketing rhetoric and the legal team had an issue with it at the 11th hour and cut me off.  I had hundreds of people registering every day.....My marketing message was something like;
 "lets control these corporate phone companies by joining our buying power together".

Of course once you have everyone on one account, you have stronger negotiating skills to move the account elsewhere and secure bigger discounts, Since then ive been thinking about it for over a decade, and i think this might be the right group of people to make something work.  If its a stupid / good idea then please make some comment. 

I would suggest electricity is a good place to start, as you cant tell the difference between electricity form company A and company B.  But i have knocked on their door before and they arent so easy to get to.  This could be expanded to food and other products, although you would have to support a big chain.

I dont think it would be advertised as bitcoin buying group either, just a regular buying group that accepts bitcoins but maybe not even advertised on the site.  Here is an example of a buying group: http://www.buyinggroups.co.uk/mercia.html

Who's interested? Whos' got feedback?

Mitch

European Bitcoin Conference Prague 2011

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2011, 10:19:09 PM

Hi community,

Since I first discovered bitcoin in July, ive been searching for a potential entry into some kind of business.
After the conference in Prague I was quite surprised just how many developers are in the community that are passionate about bitcoin and are trying to set up some kind of business.  The environment im used to is the opposite, its the entrepreneurs trying to convince a good cto to be passionate about their idea.  Im very surprised more entrepreneurs aren't flocking in.

So here is an idea, (feel free to steal it as long as you tell me where to find it):

electricity
fuel card
Telecoms
Hosting
credit cards
Insurance

Set up a group account like a corporate account with these companies. Allow members to pay in bitcoin and pay the bills in fiat.  Profits could be taken from commissions from the service provider and everyone could use hundreds bitcoin every month on living expenses.

Im guessing the states would be the obvious choice due to the numbers as i feel you would need do it country by country.  If you know of any services we all use that dont relate to country then im listening.

If you are a developer and see some issues with the idea, or would like to be involved I would need a few to come in on an equity only deal.

When i was 21 i negotiated a mobile phone deal with a company in Sydney, the prices i negotiated were about half that of regular retailers.  The deal was about to get over the line but i was a bit cocky with my marketing rhetoric and the legal team had an issue with it at the 11th hour and cut me off.  I had hundreds of people registering every day.....My marketing message was something like;
 "lets control these corporate phone companies by joining our buying power together".

Of course once you have everyone on one account, you have stronger negotiating skills to move the account elsewhere and secure bigger discounts, Since then ive been thinking about it for over a decade, and i think this might be the right group of people to make something work.  If its a stupid / good idea then please make some comment. 

I would suggest electricity is a good place to start, as you cant tell the difference between electricity form company A and company B.  But i have knocked on their door before and they arent so easy to get to.  This could be expanded to food and other products, although you would have to support a big chain.

I dont think it would be advertised as bitcoin buying group either, just a regular buying group that accepts bitcoins but maybe not even advertised on the site.  Here is an example of a buying group: http://www.buyinggroups.co.uk/mercia.html

Mitch

I think you're on to something. I've been thinking the exact same thing and even did some cursory research into reselling electricity. It doesn't seem to be that easy here in Texas, either.

By the way, I also think turning BitBrew into the next Starbucks is a great idea.  Wink

Still around.
worldly (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2011, 10:28:59 PM

Hi community,

electricity
fuel card
Telecoms
Hosting
credit cards
Insurance

Mitch

I think you're on to something. I've been thinking the exact same thing and even did some cursory research into reselling electricity. It doesn't seem to be that easy here in Texas, either.

By the way, I also think turning BitBrew into the next Starbucks is a great idea.  Wink

That would be excellent i'd definitely go there, its all about buying power.  After prague im addicted to spending money in bitcoins, enough to make me want to go to room 77 in Berlin.

MimiTheKid

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 01:26:03 PM

At the most railway-companies in Europe a company/coops gets a "business-card".
They are credit-cards. You can buy you tickets at the stations, and at the end of the month you get charged.

The bill shows in detail which card was used for which ticket. --> So the amount for the "customers" is easy to calculate.
The customer gets a discount of 20% (if she hasn't an other card) and the company 1% to 3%.

So the tickets can be paid in bitcoins and the coop pays in euro.

worldly (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2011, 01:59:30 PM

They are credit-cards. You can buy you tickets at the stations, and at the end of the month you get charged.

The bill shows in detail which card was used for which ticket. --> So the amount for the "customers" is easy to calculate.
The customer gets a discount of 20% (if she hasn't an other card) and the company 1% to 3%.

thats a good example, also very simple place to start
Im imagining the best place to start would be one company that services all of europe or one company that services all of the states.
Would these rail passes be for s pecific country in Europe only?

MimiTheKid

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 02:21:07 PM

Im imagining the best place to start would be one company that services all of europe or one company that services all of the states.

I don't know a european-wide card.
It's quite complicate to get foreign tickets. If you order one, you can pay with the "businesscard".
There are travel agencies, which sell tickets all over europe, but I don't know, how they do it.
worldly (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2011, 02:41:28 PM

I don't know a european-wide card.
It's quite complicate to get foreign tickets. If you order one, you can pay with the "businesscard".
There are travel agencies, which sell tickets all over europe, but I don't know, how they do it.

I dont think its the right place to start, but its an example of how it could work.
If there were greater numbers of bitcoin people in one place it would work, the most i heard of was Berlin and they have 4-8 people at each meetup.

If we 100 people from 1 country, all prepared to get a mobile phone / internet / insurance or electricity that would be a much better place to start.

yossarian

Activity: 492
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 06:22:10 PM

I'm actually working on a railway-related Bitcoin project for Germany right now. The only thing that's missing is someone to do the website. Which is harder than I would have anticipated, since I'm pretty much only offering a share of the potential profits and not a fixed payment. Cheesy

So if anyone interested reads this: PM me. Cheesy

I'm always buying and selling BTC, PM me for details. Rating and GPG-key: http://is.gd/yossarian

Buy and sell BTC via SEPA: https://www.bitcoin.de/r/nrnxg6

Bitmessage: BM-2DAoXPtLdQEnR2iSneCTjpgRPtzXsSAi1m
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: