Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:38:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: When is Authenticator code needed?  (Read 247 times)
Darkelf11

Activity: 509
Merit: 43

View Profile
March 30, 2021, 04:56:48 AM

Twoway factor authentication or the 2FA is just commonly used if you want to take another security layer or security feature on your account or devices but this requires a n application or devices to use this kind of feature like on the steam they have a steam guard. Also for google they have their authentication which is commonly use.
It's your choice if you want to add too if you want to become comfortable.

Some of the application we are using they are now supporting this feature.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RVDowning (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 30, 2021, 12:23:35 PM

As I know, Coinbase uses the Authy app for 2FA until 31 march. They will no longer be supported after this date. If you do not migrate to Google 2FA or Duo, they will automatically remove the 2FA protection from your account.
Which time zone use on your phone, is there any difference in other devices which had regular access to Coinbase? it was a problem for me at one point until I put it on automatic time zone determination.

All my devices show the same time zone and I haven't moved out of this time zone.  Gemini uses Authy, but I thought Coinbase/Coinbase Pro used Google Authenticator.  I pretty sure that is asked for an Authenticator code not an Authy code.
Smartvirus
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1110

View Profile
March 30, 2021, 02:54:11 PM

Which time zone use on your phone, is there any difference in other devices which had regular access to Coinbase? it was a problem for me at one point until I put it on automatic time zone determination.
Thats true, I experienced this at one point and I wondered what I did wrong because. It brought an error message until I did a synchronisation of the account with my time zone and it worked smoothly. So, sometimes its about the timing that makes the code wrong and as such, its best you allow your device to automatically set the time zone and then, you synchronise the app or site with the time zone and your good to go.

Mind you, the 2FA is one way to add extra protection to your account or wallet on a non custodial site or exchange and a good one at that, loosing it would as well bring you trouble so, its best you be careful and see a way of getting back on track with the system.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Findingnemo

Activity: 2324
Merit: 758

Bitcoin = Financial freedom

View Profile
March 30, 2021, 06:31:12 PM

As I know, Coinbase uses the Authy app for 2FA until 31 march. They will no longer be supported after this date. If you do not migrate to Google 2FA or Duo, they will automatically remove the 2FA protection from your account.

All my devices show the same time zone and I haven't moved out of this time zone.  Gemini uses Authy, but I thought Coinbase/Coinbase Pro used Google Authenticator.  I pretty sure that is asked for an Authenticator code not an Authy code.
Authy is an app like google authenticator and lot other similar authenticating apps which gives TOTP based codes. So if your authenticating apps is having sync issue then you need to resync it on the settings and he is saying if you are an Authy user you need to move to other authenticating apps or else your account will lose 2FA protection.

But why Coinbase decided to close 2FA from authy and it is actually possible to find which authenticating apps we are using?

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
View ArchiveReport to moderator
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2300

View Profile
April 01, 2021, 03:36:06 AM

I was unaware that I was given any recovery codes. 

When you first setup authenticator, you were shows a QR code, and a string below. The QR code was that string plus some additional meta data. The string is what the authenticator app needs to calculate the code to display when considering the current time. It would have been best for you to have saved that string outside of your phone, so you can load the code onto a new phone if your phone were to get damaged or stolen.
Grafen

Activity: 26
Merit: 6

View Profile
April 01, 2021, 10:49:28 AM

I managed to destroy my Authenticator keys and just got re-enabled by Coinbase.  So, any time that I had been asked for my Authenticator code it would fail.  So, I could not access Coinbase or Coinbase Pro on my phone, but could access both on my tablet, and could only access Coinbase Pro on my desktop.  If any of these would have had occasion to ask for my Authenticator code it would have failed and then I would have no longer have had access.  I can still access other exchanges that use Authenticator codes.

So, my question is under what circumstances is one asked for an Authenticator code?
For the future, use two phones with authenticators. If one is lost, the other will be near
RVDowning (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 01, 2021, 10:16:40 PM

Just to add some more information.  Today I transferred some bitcoin out of BlockFi, and was texted a code to use.   Afterwards I got an email requiring me to authenticate by uploading front and back images of an ID, and in addition required me to use my camera to scan my face as I gradually looked to my left and to my right.  Shortly thereafter it was approved. 
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: