Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 06:57:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best internet connection for mining?  (Read 232 times)
Williamm07 (OP)

Activity: 181
Merit: 14

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
March 28, 2021, 03:09:53 PM

What is the best internet connection for crypto mining for you?

1. Modems.
2. Routers
3. Smartphone mobile hotspots

Toughit

Activity: 378
Merit: 197

View Profile
March 28, 2021, 03:32:38 PM

I have no hard internet service where I live.

For 2 years I used a wireless 3-g, it usually connected at about 144k (long way from the tower). But worked fine for mining.

About 1.5 years ago I got a MIFI 8000 from sprint, it is 4g. I get 33Mbps down and 1.6 up.  100gb cap per month for $65. 

As long as the kids are not home from school updating xbox, i have no problems with the 100g cap.

Devices are connected via ethernet to a router which then goes hardwired to a wireless extender.  From the extender, they go wireless to the MIFI.

About once per week I have a slowdown, and about once per month I have a crash that costs about an hour (after I notice it).

I work from home.

Running the miners actually improves my connection, they keep the link to the tower open 24 hours a day.

It used to be, with no miners, that I would lose that link to the tower after inactivity and I would have a hard time re-establishing.  I was on the phone with sprint 50 times in a year before I restarted the miners about a year ago.
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
March 28, 2021, 04:07:07 PM

The best connection is the one with the lowest latency. Wired broadband is a more stable, always on and direct connection. Mobile connections route traffic through radio towers and can introduce significant latency, especially during peak demand, which is not good for mining as it contributes to stale shares. The same goes for WiFi. Given a choice a wired connection to a modem or router is better for mining.
Toughit

Activity: 378
Merit: 197

View Profile
March 28, 2021, 04:22:06 PM

The best connection is the one with the lowest latency. Wired broadband is a more stable, always on and direct connection. Mobile connections route traffic through radio towers and can introduce significant latency, especially during peak demand, which is not good for mining as it contributes to stale shares. The same goes for WiFi. Given a choice a wired connection to a modem or router is better for mining.

Agreed.

My response time with mobile is always 100-110 ms (until it's not), probably on the borderline for good connection (i'm guessing)

13266/85/38 Valid/stale/incorrect share is where I am today, .83% reject, which is better than normal.

I would think mobile is a last resort.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1711

View Profile
March 28, 2021, 04:39:06 PM
Merited by FP91G (1)

Basically there is hardly any bandwidth usage with mining, its not like watching a Youtube video. All your rig sends to the pool is just some text.

You need to have good latency to your ISP and to your pool. If you are living somewhere in the mountains where your ping is like 1000ms you will get tons of stales and basically lose a little money.

I used mobile tethering before and it was horrible. The ping was all over the place and the iPhone kept dropping the connection every few hours. Best is a regular land type of internet service.

Also if you got more than 1 rig, don't use wifi. There will be interference from all your GPUs. Just a CAT5 LAN cable.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
March 28, 2021, 05:02:08 PM
Last edit: March 28, 2021, 05:17:09 PM by Vann

Basically there is hardly any bandwidth usage with mining, its not like watching a Youtube video. All your rig sends to the pool is just some text.

You need to have good latency to your ISP and to your pool. If you are living somewhere in the mountains where your ping is like 1000ms you will get tons of stales and basically lose a little money.

I used mobile tethering before and it was horrible. The ping was all over the place and the iPhone kept dropping the connection every few hours. Best is a regular land type of internet service.

Also if you got more than 1 rig, don't use wifi. There will be interference from all your GPUs. Just a CAT5 LAN cable.

Yep, always a good idea to ping the pool stratum server to see what the connection is like. Choose the pool stratum with the lowest latency, Typically it's the one closest to your physical location. A ping of <100ms or less is ideal, from there up to <500ms is acceptable.

A good tool to check the stratum servers location is a DNS Geo location query:

Code:
https://tools.keycdn.com/geo?host=<POOL STRATUM ADDRESS> e.g https://tools.keycdn.com/geo?host=us1.ethermine.org
HashingTower

Activity: 285
Merit: 11

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
March 29, 2021, 01:46:00 PM

I think it depends on your internet service provider, in my own country I get low latency using my mobile hotspot and whenever I tried using modem I always get shares rejected, my mobile wifi hotspot is just way better than using modem

shinji.link

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2021, 07:38:31 PM

just make sure you're using the lowest latency (<100ms). in my place, you'll fucked up if you're using the hotspot from smartphone. of course they give a quite good internet connection, but the latency is sucks  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

so it depends on your own place. happy mining  Wink
Ceyflix-Rez

Activity: 420
Merit: 13

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
April 04, 2021, 05:23:08 AM

just make sure you're using the lowest latency (<100ms). in my place, you'll fucked up if you're using the hotspot from smartphone. of course they give a quite good internet connection, but the latency is sucks  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

so it depends on your own place. happy mining  Wink
I'm mining using hotspot from my smartphone mate and I'm doing 120 to 200ms, I have no single shares rejected and I get what I'm expected to get every 24hrs of mining on pools, the best internet connection for mining is LAN Routers cos they have less latency but smartphone can still do the trick if that's all you got

FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1041

View Profile
April 04, 2021, 10:59:10 AM

I use a 4g modem, a compatible router with a USB port for the modem and an additional antenna to amplify the signal.
A mining farm does not require a 100 Mbps connection to work, my farms worked at a speed of no more than 4 Mbps.
So it turns out that in places where the cheapest electricity is usually very bad Internet.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Skinny48

Activity: 448
Merit: 18

View Profile
April 04, 2021, 11:04:46 AM

I use a 4g modem, a compatible router with a USB port for the modem and an additional antenna to amplify the signal.
A mining farm does not require a 100 Mbps connection to work, my farms worked at a speed of no more than 4 Mbps.
So it turns out that in places where the cheapest electricity is usually very bad Internet.

I'm using a H+ modem and the result is very bad, latency around 1000ms to 2000ms and also causes lots of rejected shares, 4g Modem can do better job I believe, using 4g on my smartphone for mining the latency is always around 100ms to 300ms but still router gets the best result when mining, got this experience from a friend mining farm

FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1041

View Profile
April 05, 2021, 03:11:27 PM

I'm using a H+ modem and the result is very bad, latency around 1000ms to 2000ms and also causes lots of rejected shares, 4g Modem can do better job I believe, using 4g on my smartphone for mining the latency is always around 100ms to 300ms but still router gets the best result when mining, got this experience from a friend mining farm
Why does your modem perform worse than a mobile phone?
The 4g modem has an additional slot for connecting an external antenna, so the data transfer rate is higher.
And all mining farms are connected to a router with a Usb port.
In my opinion, a cat 5e cable is cheaper than Wi-Fi adapters for each mining farm Smiley

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██