Bitcoin Forum
July 05, 2024, 03:29:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which are the best long-term energy efficient coins for GPU miners to mine and hold?
VertCoin
QuarkCoin
DarkCoin
MaxCoin
Hirocoin
heavycoin
none of the above

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Scrypt ASICs Will Force GPU Miners To Look For Energy Efficient Coins  (Read 1684 times)
coins101 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 01:05:53 PM

The Scrypt ASIC arms race has started. Those with GPUs will want to either sell their GPUs or more likely look for another coin to mine.

But which is the best coin to mine and hold for the long-term, whilst also helping out on lower electricity costs?

This is for Proof of Work only.

Did I miss any you think should be on the list? Let me know.
El Dude

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 01:12:03 PM

scrypt-n will also be mineable with asics.

every good coin gets ASICs.

Bitcoin and Litecoin hodler
AlterMiner

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 01:47:19 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/vertcoin/comments/212ksm/bliss_devices_ceo_says_their_asics_can_change/cg90upb
Hi Guys

This is interesting but by no means alarming, I have just spoken with the rest of the team and here are our thoughts.

Vertcoin has never claimed its impossible for ASIC’s to mine Nfactor it does however make it more difficult, with that said Vertcoin has said that it will do everything in it’s powers to remain ASIC resistant.

We have a number of measures in our arsenal to stop these ASIC’s in their tracks, could they spend a year and invest millions to mine Vertcoin? the answer is probably yes, in response would we change Vertcoin to make the time and investment worthless? most definitely yes.

We could hard fork now and make these claims redundant but we think that its best to keep our cards to our chest and keep them second guessing, this isn’t bravado this is protecting all of our investments and helping to maximise our strategy that continues to be keeping vert coin ASIC resistant.

Paul talks on this matter in his recent interview with David Seaman so check it out.

Keep holding on to your nuggets and enjoy the ride.

Best

Webbs for Team Vertcoin
El Dude

Activity: 770

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 01:54:59 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/vertcoin/comments/212ksm/bliss_devices_ceo_says_their_asics_can_change/cg90upb
Hi Guys

This is interesting but by no means alarming, I have just spoken with the rest of the team and here are our thoughts.

Vertcoin has never claimed its impossible for ASIC’s to mine Nfactor it does however make it more difficult, with that said Vertcoin has said that it will do everything in it’s powers to remain ASIC resistant.

We have a number of measures in our arsenal to stop these ASIC’s in their tracks, could they spend a year and invest millions to mine Vertcoin? the answer is probably yes, in response would we change Vertcoin to make the time and investment worthless? most definitely yes.

We could hard fork now and make these claims redundant but we think that its best to keep our cards to our chest and keep them second guessing, this isn’t bravado this is protecting all of our investments and helping to maximise our strategy that continues to be keeping vert coin ASIC resistant.

Paul talks on this matter in his recent interview with David Seaman so check it out.

Keep holding on to your nuggets and enjoy the ride.

Best

Webbs for Team Vertcoin

and how would Team Vertcoin even know they are getting ASICed , what if the company keeps it a secret mines a whole bunch then sells them.

Bitcoin and Litecoin hodler
mkasiak

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 02:15:28 PM

I am not sure whether X11 is solution to prevent ASICs - see this interesting thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=528872.0;all
But it is sure that mass moving of miners and traders from scrypt to something else will discourage future developers of X11 or scrypt-n ASICs.
TTM

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 02:29:13 PM

But it is sure that mass moving of miners and traders from scrypt to something else will discourage future developers of X11 or scrypt-n ASICs.
No, only part of GPU miners will leave scrypt. And why traders ?
atp1916
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 02:31:58 PM

It is about time Scrypt got relegated to the ASICs.  Litecoin came out in October 2011.  It has had a heck of a run.

The wheel must be re-invented when necessity dictates.  That time is now.  

Do not fear change - be its master.
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 02:40:50 PM
Last edit: March 26, 2014, 03:09:24 PM by Wipeout2097

Vertcoin winning this poll ??  Roll Eyes

There is no such thing as popular opinion on this matter. You mine each of those coins, tune for max hashrate, and measure the power draw at the wall.

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
iopq

Activity: 658

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 02:57:48 PM

groestl-coin is very energy efficient
tromp
Legendary

Activity: 988
Merit: 1108

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 03:23:05 PM

The Scrypt ASIC arms race has started. Those with GPUs will want to either sell their GPUs or more likely look for another coin to mine.

But which is the best coin to mine and hold for the long-term, whilst also helping out on lower electricity costs?

This is for Proof of Work only.

Did I miss any you think should be on the list? Let me know.

The most energy efficient PoW for a GPU is one that saturates the memory
with random accesses, and minimizes energy-wasting computation,
hence none of the above.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: