Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 04:11:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Powering one s9 Hashboard with only 2 PCI-e connectors?  (Read 53 times)
Maschine32 (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 07, 2021, 01:50:07 PM

I want to sell my s9 which I did not use for more than 1 year. 1 fan is already broken and I think to remember that at least one hashboard was broken too.
I only want to test them (maybe 1 hours at max) but I only have 3 PCI connectors (1 for the mainboard). Are there risks? Will it work? I thought about testing one hashboard with 2 connectors, turning the psu off and then again with one connector to have the hasboard fully tested.

Thank you Smiley

EDIT: How do I know if the hashboard is broken or if it is the mainboard?
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 2549

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
April 07, 2021, 08:03:54 PM

Bad idea to use only 2 power connections to a hash board. You will be overloading the pins and wiring from PSU to the connectors. Even using all connectors there is very little margin between maximum rated current per-pin and actual current the boards draw. Yeah running that way for a very short time *might* work but still a bad idea because depending on the PSU used there may too much voltage drop through the wiring.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: