Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 06:00:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using SATA cable to power mounted fans?  (Read 107 times)
Didz (OP)

Activity: 192
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 10, 2021, 12:06:19 AM

Hi Bitcointalk community,

I would like to know if my thought processes is correct.
For my 6 GPUs mining rig I have the following PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ PSU and I have 5 DC 12V mounted fans (with molex cables).

I have used the 3 EVGA molex cables to plug 3 fans. The problem I have is that I have 2 more fans to plug on the PSU. Is it correct and safe to use the EVGA SATA cable with a female Molex to Male SATA Adapter to plug the 2 other fans ?

Thank you

Viva Ethereum Blockchain Revolution...What About Helium Network?
miner29

Activity: 1264
Merit: 138

View Profile
April 10, 2021, 12:09:11 AM

What are the wattage requirements of the fans?

Add those up and compare against 54W for a sata plug/chain

Didz (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2021, 12:16:21 AM

On the fan it's written this: "VD12SH-AA+. Ice Engine For Mining. Veddha. DC 12V 0.60A. +2800+. VD Precision Creative+".

Not sure what's the wattage requirements of the fans. How can I know that ? Sorry I am a newbie.

Is it 12V X 0.60A = 7.2 Watts ?

tg88
Legendary

Activity: 2394
Merit: 1411

View Profile
April 10, 2021, 12:56:16 AM

On the fan it's written this: "VD12SH-AA+. Ice Engine For Mining. Veddha. DC 12V 0.60A. +2800+. VD Precision Creative+".

Not sure what's the wattage requirements of the fans. How can I know that ? Sorry I am a newbie.

Is it 12V X 0.60A = 7.2 Watts ?

You could connect up to 7 fans of these in a single SATA cable without problems. In the end you found the answer yourself.

7 x 7.2 = 50,4 Watts And the amperage of 4.2;
Not bad for a newbye.  Grin
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1718

CoinPoker.com

View Profile
April 10, 2021, 04:09:27 AM

Yes it should be safe however the only issue might be in the quality of that Molex to SATA adapter you are using. The SATA plug on the PSU is good quality however many of the Molex to SATA adapters are very badly built.

Many of the burnt SATA connections were due to the cheap and bad Molex to SATA adapter plug, usually thats where it started to melt. So plug them in however I would inspect from time to time. Maybe touch it after running it for a few hours make sure its not hot, if its hot it means its a bad connection and something will melt.

FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1054

View Profile
April 10, 2021, 03:18:28 PM

For my 6 GPUs mining rig I have the following PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ PSU and I have 5 DC 12V mounted fans (with molex cables).

I have used the 3 EVGA molex cables to plug 3 fans. The problem I have is that I have 2 more fans to plug on the PSU. Is it correct and safe to use the EVGA SATA cable with a female Molex to Male SATA Adapter to plug the 2 other fans ?

Thank you
You don't have to use adapters. Cut off the adapters on the fans. On the sata - molex adapter, cut off the molex plugs and wires other than yellow and black.
Clean the terminals, connect accordingly, solder the connections and insulate them.
Your 5 fans will be connected to one wire (35 watts), this method will save your mining farm from unnecessary wires and adapters
JayDDee

Activity: 1397
Merit: 221

View Profile
April 10, 2021, 04:39:24 PM

Using the sata cable for fans is a great idea but I wouldn't use it for many fans on a mining rig.
If you need that much airflow a box fan is much more effective.

Didz (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2021, 11:35:58 PM

Thank you so much for your help I really love Bitcointalk community.
I ordered on Amazon this: Modeshell 6 Inch Sata 15-Pin Female to Dual 4 Pin Molex Lp4 Male
It should do the work!

adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1718

CoinPoker.com

View Profile
April 11, 2021, 05:30:03 AM

Thank you
You don't have to use adapters. Cut off the adapters on the fans. On the sata - molex adapter, cut off the molex plugs and wires other than yellow and black.
Clean the terminals, connect accordingly, solder the connections and insulate them.
Your 5 fans will be connected to one wire (35 watts), this method will save your mining farm from unnecessary wires and adapters

The issue with the melting won't be on the molex side of the adapter but usually the SATA side. When you say cut the adapter on the fans you mean connect it directly to the SATA cable correct? Then he has to plug that into the PSU and the issue is usually that cheap SATA connector melts.

Molex usually has more surface area and can handle all this current. I think in the past I ran maybe 2 risers off a series of MOLEX connectors and didn't have any issues, the connectors never got hot.

With SATA the issues lies in the quality of the SATA adapter to molex, and usually even with little current, that area near the +12V pin, will always be warm or hot. Reason why is the poor connection. The pins inside the adapter need more grip or tension because they are too lose and cause the wire to get hot and melt.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: