Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:41:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 3-4 videocards in a regular computer case - is it possible?  (Read 175 times)
panacorn (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2021, 09:27:06 AM

Hi, guys!

I'm gonna assemble a video-cards miner which will look like a regular big PC... Pls, don't ask why I'm gonna do it... Smiley

I think it will be possible to place 3-4 cards like 1080ti and connect two of them directly into a motherboard and two others via riser cables.

I guess the biggest problem is gonna be in cooling. Maybe I will need a big server tower case with powerful fans... Maybe it will be possible to install additional fans into a regular big case...

What do you think, guys? Is is possible to assemble a miner with 3-4 videocards (like 1080ti) in a closed computer case with good cooling conditions?

Thank you in advance!
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
April 20, 2021, 09:42:21 AM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

Sure, it can be done. Some people with big farms use server racks. 3-4 GPU's in a large case shouldn't be a problem. What you want is good air flow of cool air coming in from the front and bottom and hot air going out thee top and rear. Also space the GPU's as far apart as possible. It also helps if you can place a large case fan directly on top of the side of the GPU's blowing away. A case like this would be good for such a build. You can directly add up to 11 fans and even more with the 5.25" bay converters. You can also look in to water cooling the GPU's for a much more quiet build.

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/define/define-7-xl/black
hagbase

Activity: 433
Merit: 254

View Profile
April 20, 2021, 10:53:37 AM

Just get something like this: https://inter-tech.de/en/products/ipc/server-cases/4w2-mining-rack

Was running 6 GPUs without a problem, had to change FANs but thats all.
Refrumatrix

Activity: 301
Merit: 13

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
April 20, 2021, 11:16:20 AM

It's possible, just get risers (powered risers) and big power supply like 1200watts, and if you don't have that big power supply you can still use two power supplies, you can build local racks yourself, I recommend watching few videos on youtube and use pen to draw it out, get the right tools and build one yourself

batsonxl

Activity: 1196
Merit: 26

View Profile
April 20, 2021, 01:28:44 PM

Will be better if you connect only 1 gpu to 16x rest use risers. i have regular working pc with 3 gpu. 1 in the case 2 gpu out. If you connect both 16x slots then it upper gpu will get much hotter and also you will be using to many pcie lanes. Risers use only 1x lane.
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
April 20, 2021, 01:42:57 PM

Another thing to consider is in a closed small room like a dorm room,  if there is not adequate cooling or ventilation, with 3-4 GPU's mining 24/7 the room can get very hot. Especially during the day and with summer coming up in the Northern hemisphere. A/C is a solution or if possible, opening a window to pull fresh air in and opening the door a bit will help venting the hot air greatly.
Philipma1957cellphone

Activity: 416
Merit: 125

View Profile
April 20, 2021, 03:01:11 PM

It is doable. But why not make two two card rigs.

This is philipma1957 alt. Do not conduct business  with this account
Wotan Wipeout

Activity: 438
Merit: 27

View Profile
April 20, 2021, 03:40:09 PM

Another Option is a quad sli board and 4 watercooled cards.
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1035

View Profile
April 21, 2021, 11:55:47 AM

Hi, guys!

I'm gonna assemble a video-cards miner which will look like a regular big PC... Pls, don't ask why I'm gonna do it... Smiley

I think it will be possible to place 3-4 cards like 1080ti and connect two of them directly into a motherboard and two others via riser cables.

I guess the biggest problem is gonna be in cooling. Maybe I will need a big server tower case with powerful fans... Maybe it will be possible to install additional fans into a regular big case...

What do you think, guys? Is is possible to assemble a miner with 3-4 videocards (like 1080ti) in a closed computer case with good cooling conditions?

Thank you in advance!
You can easily build such a personal computer using a mining case. The main problem with a closed case is additional cooling. Your case will have to be supplemented with 4-8 powerful fans, and it will be very uncomfortable to work with such a computer because of the noise.
And everyone you know will ask you about the noise of your PC.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
mak013

Activity: 2366
Merit: 753

View Profile
April 21, 2021, 12:12:49 PM

I can add that there are even motherboard tp connect 6-8 GPUs without risers at mining case. But this is mining motherboard, it does not interesting for home PC.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
████████████▄▄██▄▄
████████████████████▄▄
░████▄▄████████████████
░█████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀██▀
█████████████████░▄██▄
████████████████░░▀██▀
███████████████
███████████
██████████
█████████
████████
██████████
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1709

View Profile
April 22, 2021, 05:28:33 AM

In a regular desktop case the most you can run is 2 GPUs and if its closed, then you will run into issues on one of the cards. Even if you got good intake and exhaust fans. Using those tower tall desktop cases won't really help you either.

Only way to do this with a closed case is to get a server chassis and you can run 5-6 GPUs easily however keep in mind the fans will be crazy loud. They will need to be to move enough air thru them. You can't use regular case fans for this. I tried and basically half the GPUs would overheat very quickly. Only way was some server fans with a push/pull configuration.

I only built one rig like this, was too much of a hassle and just went back to open air rigs.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Wotan Wipeout

Activity: 438
Merit: 27

View Profile
April 22, 2021, 07:19:56 AM

It can be done. I am waiting for my 4. 3080 Suprim X to finish my next rig.

Mainboard:

https://geizhals.de/asrock-z170-oc-formula-90-mxgr80-a0uayz-a1306920.html

All full watercooled.

It will be in a mining case but can be put in any bigger case.
Wont do it again because 3070 are better but i wanted it.
chup

Activity: 736
Merit: 262

Me, Myself & I

View Profile
April 22, 2021, 12:48:53 PM

Yes it is.
Depends on GPUs power, of course. Easy with RX560/570.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: