Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 06:31:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dual 8pin pcie cable  (Read 119 times)
1JAKY (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2021, 03:35:40 PM
Last edit: July 31, 2021, 09:23:54 AM by 1JAKY

examplens
Legendary

Activity: 3332
Merit: 3286

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2021, 08:46:05 PM

Hi all, I just bought a 1060 and a 1660s added them to my 1660 now I have 3gpus they all require 8pin cables the problem is my psu (game max 700 watts) has only 2 8pin connectors for the pice and 2 6pin connectors.
I've found a 8pin to dual 8pin cable locally, but they told me they can't sell it to me because the cable manufacturer and my psu manufacturer aren't the same they said it could blow up my psu or my gpu? Is that correct do I need a cable from evga and a psu from evga? For example.
Isn't the 8pin pcie connector a standard?

Thanks

Yes, it is universal. Of course, a single cable if is correct cannot cause an explosion. Your seller obviously joking with you.
the only thing you need to pay attention to is the quality of the cable. Low quality can bring some problems on load.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Commie

Activity: 621
Merit: 108

View Profile
April 21, 2021, 10:12:51 AM

Yes, it is universal. Of course, a single cable if is correct cannot cause an explosion. Your seller obviously joking with you.
the only thing you need to pay attention to is the quality of the cable. Low quality can bring some problems on load.

Pinouts on different PSUs are not same, so seller might have a point. Even within one brads pinouts might differ from model to model.

TheBeardedBaby
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 3150

₿uy / $ell ..oeleo ;(

View Profile
April 21, 2021, 11:55:46 AM

Are you using it for mining?
If it's a modular PSU you need the right cables, some of them are not "standart". Sometimes from one brand fit to another brand but not always.
You won't blow your card off but you can damage both the card and PSU if you use only one channel to power the cards. That means that if you use only one group of cables and buy some extenders to connect the other cards, the power provided trough that channel (group of cables) might not be enough for that power consumption you have. If you cannot find the right cables ( I assume that the PSU is Modular) then you can trick the system and use MOLEX or SATA adapters like those:

MOLEX

SATA

Always use 2-to-1 adapters (those type from the pictures above)  to be sure that you have enough power and never use the same channel to power two cards.

At the end you have left with 700 - 375 = 325W which, depending of the processor type, most likely should be enough to power the rest of the components you have.

TheBeardedBaby
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 3150

₿uy / $ell ..oeleo ;(

View Profile
April 21, 2021, 07:13:24 PM

What brand is the PSU? If it's not a quality one often what is written on the box is not true. So if it is very "chinese" probably its not a real 750W but 550w
There comes the first problem.

The info i found online was that the 1660 consumes approx 120W so this will do a 240w on one channel. I do not recommend doing that. You can connect one card and measure the voltages of the PSU and then connect the second one on the same channel and measure again to see the drop of the V. If the cards are idle they consume less power but you can still see the drop.

There are many YouTube videos how to measure the voltage of a PSU.
On the PSU is also indicated the acceptable lows and high of the V, so you can see if you are in those intervals.

Running a card undervolted or overvolted will most certainly damage the card, it can work for a minute or a week but at the end the result will be the same

I suggest after you have thrown a lot of money into cards, don't waste your time and money and invest in proper PSU.

Most of the people don't know that but probably 95% of the computer issues come from bad or not properly chosen power supply.

Wright down your configuration if you want more accurate information.

If you cannot afford new power supply at the moment, then buy those adapters I suggested in my previous post. They will work fine.

Refrumatrix

Activity: 301
Merit: 13

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
April 22, 2021, 06:34:16 AM

Get EVGA or OCZ power supply, 1200watts would do fine and also order for 8pin molex like thebeardedbaby said and you are good to go, don't use power supply that follows your motherboard, OEM powersupplies are bad for mining, they always have fake power capability, 750watts is 450watts so don't trust them

examplens
Legendary

Activity: 3332
Merit: 3286

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2021, 08:55:31 AM

Pinouts on different PSUs are not same, so seller might have a point. Even within one brads pinouts might differ from model to model.

yes, but it does not have to be the same manufacturer. If pinouts are different, he probably can't connect them, but he can use the adequate compatible cable from another manufacturer.
I still think that I'm not missed the essence of the OP's questions. We have a manufacturer who produces these cables and adapters for different standards which are used by all PSU manufacturers.
TheBeardedBaby explained what to pay attention to and it is not obligatory to use EVGA Molex or s-ata adapters, it can be OCZ for example.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
TheMimic1

Activity: 252
Merit: 13

View Profile
April 22, 2021, 09:40:12 AM

Hi all, I just bought a 1060 and a 1660s added them to my 1660 now I have 3gpus they all require 8pin cables the problem is my psu (game max 700 watts) has only 2 8pin connectors for the pice and 2 6pin connectors.
I've found a 8pin to dual 8pin cable locally, but they told me they can't sell it to me because the cable manufacturer and my psu manufacturer aren't the same they said it could blow up my psu or my gpu? Is that correct do I need a cable from evga and a psu from evga? For example.
Isn't the 8pin pcie connector a standard?

Thanks
If you are going for 8pin to molex extensions make sure you grab the costly ones, there are two types of this extension cables and the bad ones are those from china, they use low quality wires on the molex and this easy melts

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀     ITSMYNE     ▀▀▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Social-plus NFT marketplace for official sports NFTs
[      t w i t t e r      ]  [    t e l e g r a m    ]  [   i n s t a g r a m   ]  [      d i s c o r d      ]
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: