Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:37:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Metamask chrome extension recovered unexpectedly  (Read 79 times)
Hippocrypto (OP)

Activity: 1484
Merit: 277

View Profile
April 20, 2021, 11:34:34 PM

I wanted to share my experiences last Sunday April 05 during that early afternoon. Been doing the reformat of my personal computer, then came up to my mind to try recovering those coins stored at my metamask chrome extension that was lost a year ago without having any back-up.
Gladly, I found the corrupted hard drive then I was able to find the old chrome app data profile. I wasn't having any idea that time, then suddenly after doing internal search within the hard drive itself it went a series of trials.

What I did at first, fresh google chrome installation has been initiated then I did a first try from old hard drive username profile app data to be overwritten on new install app data on pc then I logged on my chrome account then run.
There it goes metamask wallet software extension also successfully run. Same thing I did towards the other profile, and fortunately I was able to recover my lost tokens unexpectedly.
Hopefully this discussions would help everybody who needs ideas onwards, and what's important is always backup your pc data profile because someday you'll be able to use it specially those extension softwares related to cryptocurrency wallets.
Share your thoughts here, and we will talk about it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8921

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2021, 12:38:37 AM

For any sane crypto-person (a bit of an oxymoron, I know) on the list of things to avoid Chrome and Metamask should be near the top, somewhere between CSW and bitcoin doublers.

Other than that, what does this have to do with Bitcoin?
Hippocrypto (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2021, 01:47:09 AM

For any sane crypto-person (a bit of an oxymoron, I know) on the list of things to avoid Chrome and Metamask should be near the top, somewhere between CSW and bitcoin doublers.

Other than that, what does this have to do with Bitcoin?

Maybe it has nothing to do with bitcoin itself when it comes to metamask or any other chrome extension wallets.
I just wanted to share that backing up our pc system would certainly avoid sudden loss if there's a possible hard disk crash. Simply, we can recover using the app data for any applications installed like bitcoin wallet that runs with windows operating system.
noorman0

Activity: 1764
Merit: 694

[Nope]No hype delivers more than hope

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2021, 02:44:15 PM

Actually you can run it directly from your old harddrive with the metamask extension still installed on your chrome without needing to overwrite into a new chrome. Chrome is a portable, where you can install as many as you want in any directory with different profile settings and extensions. It's just that during installation, (if you are a Windows user) you will be directed to the default app installation directory C:/ which actually can be moved to other directories and will also run smoothly.

This space for rent.
Available in mid January 2024 - PM me
Hippocrypto (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2021, 11:17:17 PM

Actually you can run it directly from your old harddrive with the metamask extension still installed on your chrome without needing to overwrite into a new chrome. Chrome is a portable, where you can install as many as you want in any directory with different profile settings and extensions. It's just that during installation, (if you are a Windows user) you will be directed to the default app installation directory C:/ which actually can be moved to other directories and will also run smoothly.

Good advice mate, but I wasn't able to recover the previous google chrome installation from my old hard drive. The only thing I had was only the app data on the user profile which I was able to copy during that time. Because that hard drive isn't the original installation drive, I only used it as a storage drive which I don't expect to run when I have overwritten to the new chrome installation which I did. Fortunately, it brought me good results and found my lost assets.
elda34b

Activity: 910
Merit: 351

View Profile
April 24, 2021, 11:36:33 AM

what's important is always backup your pc data profile because someday you'll be able to use it specially those extension softwares related to cryptocurrency wallets.
Backing up your seed/private key should be a priority instead of backing up appdata/local extension data. While it might help you with recovery, with your seed/private key, it would be way easier.
Lanatsa

Activity: 2828
Merit: 648

View Profile
April 24, 2021, 09:55:14 PM
Merited by Hippocrypto (1)

what's important is always backup your pc data profile because someday you'll be able to use it specially those extension softwares related to cryptocurrency wallets.
Backing up your seed/private key should be a priority instead of backing up appdata/local extension data. While it might help you with recovery, with your seed/private key, it would be way easier.
Exactly.

You wouldn't find any hassle nor problems if you do just simply save up that seed/key which had been asked for you to save when you are just
still creating your metamask wallet.

In case you do experience some unexpected problems then you wouldn't really be having a hard time on importing it anytime as long you
do have that needed keys.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████