Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:30:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining without GPU drivers  (Read 202 times)
tanobully (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 24, 2021, 05:24:23 PM

there is not much to say. is there a way to mine without gpu drivers

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
AllGoodNamesAreTaken

Activity: 72

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2021, 05:25:31 PM

Yes, but it not very effective. I used to mine on a server with 16 cores, but it was not worth the effort.
tanobully (OP)

Activity: 3

View Profile
April 24, 2021, 05:34:04 PM

i have several pc at my basement but i can't install drivers. so i was wondering if there's a way to still mine with the gpu but without drivers. not intrested in cpu mining tho
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1029

View Profile
April 24, 2021, 08:04:47 PM
Merited by nc50lc (1)

Miner developers use libraries and system files from the driver package.
I do not know for what reasons you want to mine without drivers, but you can buy an 8 GB flash drive, install a hive os on it.
The hive os already has all the necessary drivers and miners to run your mining rig, and you don’t have to install anything.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Ceyflix-Rez

Activity: 420
Merit: 13

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
April 25, 2021, 11:09:38 AM

GPU and mining softwares need drivers help to get the right libraries for the cards to bring out their best performance, not driving your gpu will give very low performance of what they can really do, it's like using 30% of their power

Bravehash

Activity: 196
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 25, 2021, 07:20:15 PM

Do you understand what driver stands for? It's to increase the chance of compatibility and better or smoother operation, without driver many softwares won't even work, driver is a must, yes you can mine without driver installation but the result will suck so much

JayDDee

Activity: 1384
Merit: 220

View Profile
April 26, 2021, 12:01:53 AM

The GPU driver includes the GPU's operating system which allows it to load and run application programs,
just like the computer's operating system.

In case that didn't make it perfectly obvious the answer is no.

adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708

View Profile
April 26, 2021, 04:14:00 AM

When you install the AMD software you as pretty much installing 2 different things. One is the control panel and the other is the driver. You don't need to install the control panel, its what has the overclock software and all that other crap you never use. It also takes up memory because its always in the taskbar and takes up some HD space also. This you don't need to install. You can actually uninstall it without removing the graphic drivers.

The other is the actual drivers that are needed to get your Windows to load at the correct resolution on your monitor. Without them you can't do anything, you will be stuck at like 640x480 resolution and make it impossible to use or mine. This you will definately need if you want to mine. Won't work without it.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
btc-room101

Activity: 182
Merit: 30

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2021, 04:52:10 AM

Do you understand what driver stands for? It's to increase the chance of compatibility and better or smoother operation, without driver many softwares won't even work, driver is a must, yes you can mine without driver installation but the result will suck so much

What's worse is every generation has its own SM_nn compute model, because 1st gen had 100's of cores, newer gen has +5,000 cores

It's difficult  to write device-drivers, best left to the manufacturer, as the firmware is always proprietary the public doesn't even know

It would be a nightmare to develop raw code for a specific card, especially given the fact that NVIDIA ( say cuda ), brings out a new gen every 1-2 years, so the developer would have to start over

The entire reason for librarys is to make it easy for developers, its hard enough to develop GPU code with librarys, very few people can do it,

All the above said, if the trend continues say RTX-3060 where NVIDIA said they would penalize mining, then their could be a move to write full software, but again like I said, somebody would have to steal the microcode source from NVIDIA to really understand how to optimize the instruction set. Or for that matter, you would want to develop your own micro-code on the board to specialize in mining, this is even a lower level than 'drivers'

These days these RTx-3090 boards are some of the most complex stuff on earth, way more complex than the CPU, I guess the same question could be asked "What does somebody just make a GPU for mining  in his garage", of course the answer is you would need $100B to make the chips

The worst thing about 'locking in' is it means you couldn't use new boards as they came available, you would be dependent on waiting for somebody on github, then on that level you could expect the developer to ask 50% of the profit, cuz why not there would be no competition. Now the dev feed for mining sw is 1%

It's mind boggling I could see some Bullshit scammer announcing a ETH raw-source miner for RTX-3060 cards, but what would be the life? When you upgrade the firmware the you would have a 'rock'

People have already found work-arounds to the RTX-3060 problem of Nvidia slowing down mining, so its not like their is an urgent problem.

This is all bound to happen, library's are controversial, the younger will think, why not just 'roll your own', not knowing how difficult long-term maintenance is, of course in the crypto world, nobody cares about long-term, they only care about get rich quick
FloridaKid

Activity: 375
Merit: 15

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
April 26, 2021, 01:24:39 PM

Without driver you will get the worst performance from any graphics card you plan to use for mining is not worth, it make sure you download the right driver for your graphics card and you will quickly notice the difference in performance (hashrate wise)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: