Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:50:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will governments destroy stablecoins in the long term?  (Read 738 times)
NorvsGanda

Activity: 445
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 04, 2021, 08:49:52 PM

Will governments destroy stablecoins in the long term?

I dont see reason why. I see that central banks will compete with stale coins. But to destroy them I cant see it.  USA goverment will destroy value of all stable coins that are nominated in USD. That is what they will for sure do in next decades.
Then why it is called as stable coin if it can be destroyed by someone or some group of people? That coin should have also stable defense system mechanism to protect its own environment.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
leea-1334

Activity: 2240
Merit: 953

Temporary forum vacation

View Profile
May 05, 2021, 08:22:32 AM

Yes, there are a lot of chances for governments to prohibit stablecoins for any reason. If anything like that happens then we cannot expect those reputed exchanges will keep listing stablecoins as they need to comply with government rules, they will simply delist stablecoins.

I'm not expecting people will go for P2P way of trading for centralized things. Because, if governments prohibit stablecoins then its value may not remain stable which means there will be no more point of trading them even in P2P manner. I am also in favor of decentralized stabelcoins. Hopefully we will get something like that in coming years.

They do not even need a reason,,, when have they ever needed a reason other than to remind the people that they rule that they are the ones in power?

Once governments control coins and learn how to use the technology for their own games, then they will allow it like China has allowed and developed their own China coin.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████░░██████████████████████████░░███████████████████
███████████████░░██████████████████████████░░█████████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░██░░██░░░░░░░░░░██░░███████████████
███████████████████░░░░░░██░░██████░░░░░░██░░█████████████████
█████████████████████░░░░░░██████████░░░░░░███████████████████

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.....I AM BLACKJACK.FUN.....
█████████████░░██████████████████████████░░███████████████████
███████████████░░██████████████████████████░░█████████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░██░░██░░░░░░░░░░██░░███████████████
███████████████████░░░░░░██░░██████░░░░░░██░░█████████████████
█████████████████████░░░░░░██████████░░░░░░███████████████████

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
tvplus006
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1655

To the Moon

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2021, 02:21:11 PM

someday there is a big possibility that the government will be disturbed by stable coins crypto like tether, not only stable coins, but all coins in the crypto market, because of course if everyone puts money in the crypto market it will be very detrimental to the government, the government will be very short of income from taxes

When the governments of different countries introduce a national digital currency, then in my opinion centralized stablecoins will give way to CBDC. But by that time, the crypto community will understand that a real stable coin can only be decentralized, and in this case, states will not be able to compete with it.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Bay_Harbour_Butcher

Activity: 728
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 05, 2021, 02:57:33 PM

it can very well happen, because in my opinion the government loses a lot if the circulation of money continues and increases in the crypto market, the losses experienced by the government are in terms of taxes, because as we know that crypto transactions do not yet have taxes

Ucy

Activity: 2576
Merit: 402

View Profile
May 05, 2021, 03:14:27 PM

As stablecoins become more popular in the mainstream world, many are starting to wonder whenever governments will allow the industry to flourish or destroy it altogether. We've seen how interested central banks and mainstream governments are in launching digital currencies of their own. Something like a stablecoin would prove to be a huge threat to the existence of Fiat. I wouldn't put decentralized cryptocurrencies on this, because they're largely unstable. Only stablecoins pegged to the USD like Tether or USD Coin could pose a real threat to the financial sovereignty of Fiat currencies like the traditional US Dollar. Either governments use pre-existing stablecoins as their own, or create new ones from scratch (most likely situation) effectively putting an end to stablecoins' preeminence in the mainstream world.

What are your thoughts? Huh

If by stablecoins you mean coins that are not too volatile, then I strongly doubt they could do that to all stablecoins. The centralized ones could be destroyed, but the decentralized ones would be hard to stop.
Besides, a stablecoin does not have to be backed by fiat to be a stablecoin. You could easily turn a very volatile crypto into "stablecoin" by moderating its volatility (without compromising on the deflationary feature)

In regards to the bolded, decentralization definitely doesn't make cryptocurrency unstable. You could keep lots of the extremely volatile decentralized crypto fairly stable by regulating their supply in relation to demand.

darewaller

Activity: 2800
Merit: 634

View Profile
May 05, 2021, 07:29:34 PM

someday there is a big possibility that the government will be disturbed by stable coins crypto like tether, not only stable coins, but all coins in the crypto market, because of course if everyone puts money in the crypto market it will be very detrimental to the government, the government will be very short of income from taxes

When the governments of different countries introduce a national digital currency, then in my opinion centralized stablecoins will give way to CBDC. But by that time, the crypto community will understand that a real stable coin can only be decentralized, and in this case, states will not be able to compete with it.
That is the true answer. I do believe that the biggest stablecoin will be a decentralized one, after that CBDC will come and they will make a big noise when they first start but slowly and gradually will go down, and then the stablecoins we have right now. USDT acts as if there is tens of billions of dollars worth of interest towards it, but the reality is that every single day bitcoin rises people are moving away from it and moving towards others, which is why I think it is quite obvious we are not going to see those at the top anymore.

I know DAI is new and not a big deal just yet, but things like that will become the real stablecoin in the future, it may not be DAI, it could be something in the future that is similar to that but does marketing a lot better or people will use it a lot more, but it will be something similar to that to reach high levels.
tvplus006
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1655

To the Moon

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2021, 02:12:32 PM

...I know DAI is new and not a big deal just yet, but things like that will become the real stablecoin in the future, it may not be DAI, it could be something in the future that is similar to that but does marketing a lot better or people will use it a lot more, but it will be something similar to that to reach high levels.

Currently, decentralized stablecoins make up a very small percentage of the total number of stablecoins on the market. And I don't understand why traders prefer to use centralized stable coins, because the benefits of decentralization are obvious to everyone. Or maybe not everyone understands it after all?

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Kayum10029

Activity: 1190
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 06, 2021, 03:21:30 PM

I don't think they'll do that. They have the power to even control those stable coin providers except the decentralized ones. They can still make use of them.
That's why I don't think that it's necessary for them to do it.
Yes mate you are right because governments have no power of destroy any cryptocurrencies but government can control their banking system al last.

wxa7115

Activity: 2716
Merit: 704

View Profile
May 06, 2021, 05:48:49 PM

As stablecoins become more popular in the mainstream world, many are starting to wonder whenever governments will allow the industry to flourish or destroy it altogether. We've seen how interested central banks and mainstream governments are in launching digital currencies of their own. Something like a stablecoin would prove to be a huge threat to the existence of Fiat. I wouldn't put decentralized cryptocurrencies on this, because they're largely unstable. Only stablecoins pegged to the USD like Tether or USD Coin could pose a real threat to the financial sovereignty of Fiat currencies like the traditional US Dollar. Either governments use pre-existing stablecoins as their own, or create new ones from scratch (most likely situation) effectively putting an end to stablecoins' preeminence in the mainstream world.

What are your thoughts? Huh
The possibility is without a doubt there, governments on the past have destroyed several attempts by people to create a centralized alternative currency that runs parallel to the fiat system we have in place and all of those systems failed because governments could just confiscate a few banks accounts and arrest a few people and claim those coins were too similar to their own and kill it that way.

This is why bitcoin is decentralized and it seems to me that sooner or later the governments are going to come for them as there is no way they are going to allow this once they develop and release their own digital currencies.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   
tanjiran

Activity: 770
Merit: 113

View Profile
May 06, 2021, 10:28:34 PM

the question is, why should the government destroy the stable coin?

if the government wants it then the government only needs to make a ban regarding the use of cryptocurrency in its country, that's over. without needing to destroy anything, it doesn't seem classy anyways. The decentralized network is seen as a threat because the government cannot fully control and supervise, while for those who aspire to freedom, decentralization is a solution.

wxa7115

Activity: 2716
Merit: 704

View Profile
May 12, 2021, 05:03:41 PM

if the government wants it then the government only needs to make a ban regarding the use of cryptocurrency in its country, that's over. without needing to destroy anything, it doesn't seem classy anyways. The decentralized network is seen as a threat because the government cannot fully control and supervise, while for those who aspire to freedom, decentralization is a solution.
If it was as simple as that then they could have done so already, besides they do not really have a lot of justification to ban all cryptocurrencies on their country, and people living in relatively free countries are going to wonder why governments are doing this with a technology that does not harm anyone.

But the case of stable coins is different, stable coins are performing the same function of fiat and they are even using fiat to back their coins, the governments may argue those coins are too similar to their own and since those coins are centralized they could easily destroy those coins and force people to use their new digital currencies.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   
doomloop

Activity: 2282
Merit: 581

View Profile
May 12, 2021, 08:37:04 PM

Whether stable or utility coin, there is none any government can quash. The current suit between the US SEC and the Ripple (XRP) as an organisation is a proof. The case proves that the individuals that adopts a cryptocurrency are the major determinant of what it becomes. You can also see what has become of the Shit coins lately.
You are right the government cannot control stable coins or just any coin actually. I think even if the government launches their own stable coin, people are not going to use it because it would be tracked, traced and taxes will be imposed which ultimately sounds like making transactions from your bank account.

The reason stable coins like USDT are so popular is because they give you a solid way to store the value of your coins while also not asking for any KYC or giving your details to the government. The governments need to understand that freedom and privacy is the only and most important reason why cryptocurrencies are taking over, be it a stable coin or utility coin or just any crypto in general.

Having USDT in wallet feels like no risk of market movement while having complete privacy, which I am sure no government launched stable coins can achieve or even aim to achieve.

Abiky (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1359

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
May 15, 2021, 02:14:47 AM

The possibility is without a doubt there, governments on the past have destroyed several attempts by people to create a centralized alternative currency that runs parallel to the fiat system we have in place and all of those systems failed because governments could just confiscate a few banks accounts and arrest a few people and claim those coins were too similar to their own and kill it that way.

This is why bitcoin is decentralized and it seems to me that sooner or later the governments are going to come for them as there is no way they are going to allow this once they develop and release their own digital currencies.

Governments can destroy stablecoins because they're centralized. But governments CANNOT destroy cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin or Ethereum because they're decentralized and censorship-resistant. The more crypto's level of mainstream adoption grows, the harder it'll be for governments to do anything against it. I believe that once CBDCs become a reality, centralized stablecoins will cease to exist. Only decentralized stablecoins like DAI and USDJ will be able to stand the test of time. Remember, stablecoins were only created as a tool for traders to gain the benefits of Fiat without having to cash out crypto directly to a bank account. It's like a "temporary bridge" between the world of crypto and Fiat, before CBDCs take the world by storm. A government-backed digital currency would make stablecoins completely unnecessary. I wouldn't worry about this since decentralized cryptocurrencies are all you need to achieve true financial sovereignty.

Nonetheless, no one knows what governments will do with stablecoins in the long term. Depending on how people use stablecoins, governments could either devise new regulations that will amplify or dampen their growth over time. If they go all the way down the drain, people will still have the option to sell decentralized cryptocurrencies for cash (Fiat). With or without stablecoins, crypto will be here to stay. Just my opinion Smiley

███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Xinarae*

Activity: 1414
Merit: 326

View Profile
May 15, 2021, 03:31:06 AM

Yes, the government will be able to do all the centralized work as it wants these criteria are not considered when investing. Investors see the risk of changing governments and policies the government will suffer more if the process does not affect investment and growth for stability the economic growth of any country slows down capital market indicators and economic growth are interrelated the capital market does not like any kind of uncertainty. The capital market is not stable until it is clear what will happen when something good or bad happens for sure the capital market accepts it.
BayAngelo

Activity: 882
Merit: 17

View Profile
May 15, 2021, 04:14:49 AM

We will welcome the combine service of both Fiat and stablecoin. the world population is increasing in an alarming rate and i don't think fiat currency been controlled by the government will serve the purpose. crypto is needed. we need to find a possible to combine both currency together to serve a single purpose. a means of payment for services been rended.

TastyChillySauce00
Legendary

Activity: 2982
Merit: 1028

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile
May 15, 2021, 04:26:14 AM

Stablecoin could potentially become a threat for government's CBDC and there's some countries out there which has rather controlling government and that kind of countries have the potential of banning stablecoins simply because they can.
But, I doubt any country gonna ban stablecoin in the long run, after all these stablecoin legally established and there's private company behind it who gets taxed by the government each year off their profit.
Maybe if government want to escalate into banning all crypto except the government's then it could happen.

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
raji1995naya

Activity: 812
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 22, 2021, 08:46:07 PM

I don't believe this is possible for all stablecoins. Since they violated the rules, governments could outlaw the use of such stablecoins. Governments now have a variety of monitoring tools and do not need to prohibit stablecoins. I'm sure they'd block other coins if they were serious about introducing their own crypto coin. They clearly want the coins to be used, but the only way to do this is to prohibit anyone from using them. Stablecoins that are not issued by the government, regardless of whether they are protected by fiat, will be rejected. Any of this is quickly accomplished by them.
firmino10

Activity: 372
Merit: 11

elysian.finance

View Profile
May 22, 2021, 09:06:54 PM

Don't get it wrong, stable coins are not threats to the financial system (they are digital fiat currency), so the government are not really worried about it. The main threat to the government is bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies, because they have not control over it.

ELYSIAN FINANCE      Next generation reverse backed token   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   Collateral-backed stable-coins
     Github  ◥ Telegram   ◥ Twitter   ◥ Discord             Trustless and decentralized 
                             ❱❱❱   JOIN Elysian Finance   ❰❰❰
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1359

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
May 28, 2021, 05:40:36 PM

Stablecoin could potentially become a threat for government's CBDC and there's some countries out there which has rather controlling government and that kind of countries have the potential of banning stablecoins simply because they can.
But, I doubt any country gonna ban stablecoin in the long run, after all these stablecoin legally established and there's private company behind it who gets taxed by the government each year off their profit.
Maybe if government want to escalate into banning all crypto except the government's then it could happen.

Good point. Governments are already taxing private companies issuing stablecoins, so banning them now would not be a wise idea. We might live in world where both CBDCs and stablecoins co-exist, similar to what's happening with traditional Fiat and crypto right now. It's important to remember that stablecoins were only created as a tool for day traders and investors alike. They enable the "best of both worlds" by combining the stability of Fiat and the security/reliability of crypto. Governments will have nothing to lose since most stablecoins are backed by real Fiat reserves. The more people invest into stablecoins, the stronger Fiat (USD) will become. With or without stablecoins, crypto/Blockchain tech will be here to stay thanks to its decentralized and censorship-resistant design. Just my thoughts Grin

███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Dread Pirate Roberts

Activity: 1484
Merit: 326

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2021, 06:44:05 PM

Stable coin help easier crypto market trader and user to manage money they money and calculation flow as long they keep stable and not change. or maybe they will adding minimum requirement for developer who will running stable coin and put them on exchange such backup money , liquidity . so stable coin only exist for developer and company who meet the requirement.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: