Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:28:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HDD mining?  (Read 175 times)
CryptInvest (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1132

View Profile
May 16, 2021, 05:29:12 PM

Now the trend for mining with the SSD/HDD drives is rising. Everywhere they advertise a chia network affiliated with chinese.

However, there are largely undervalued coins issued much earlier ....

Burstcoin energy consumption during the mining process. Burstcoin - first PoC (Proof of Capacity) coin on the planet developed in 2014. Very underrated coin, IMO.

Power consumption when mining on HDD is minimal. Video proofs:

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
vuli1

Activity: 238
Merit: 3

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2021, 05:37:32 PM

waste of time and hdds. Post when your first ssd dies.

★ PRiVCY ➢ Own Your Privacy! ➢ Best privacy crypto-market! ★
✈✈✈[PoW/PoS]✅[Tor]✅[Airdrop]✈✈✈ (https://privcy.io/)
Zotak337

Activity: 232
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 16, 2021, 05:54:26 PM

How many HDD is this? Lol I don't know much about burst coin but chia coin is using this same algorithm right now or near same, but to get anything you need large amount of Terabytes, with the current high difficulty you should budget 100TB and guess what? Every HDD will consume 5 watts each, as small as 5 watts seem calculate that into 100 pieces of HDD, another headache is you need server type CPU to plot faster the higher the cores and threads the higher your watt draw

►           ►     enVoy        ▐ │     Sustainably Green Trust in Trade     │ ▌     ◄           ◄
►            ██  WHITEPAPER       ██  TWO PAGER       ██  TOKEN DECK            ◄
[v]  Facebook     [v]  Twitter     [v]  Telegram     [v]  Medium     [v]  Linkedin     [v]  Reddit
CreamyG31337

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 17, 2021, 12:43:02 AM

waste of time and hdds. Post when your first ssd dies.
If you don't spend too much money and you get some coins valued at $1000 USD it's certainly not a waste.
You're effectively solo mining, so it's just a free lottery for anyone with some spare time and drives.

How many HDD is this? Lol I don't know much about burst coin but chia coin is using this same algorithm right now or near same, but to get anything you need large amount of Terabytes, with the current high difficulty you should budget 100TB and guess what? Every HDD will consume 5 watts each, as small as 5 watts seem calculate that into 100 pieces of HDD, another headache is you need server type CPU to plot faster the higher the cores and threads the higher your watt draw

100tb is like 10 drives. Hard drives use more like 20 watts. So like 200w for 100tb.
A cpu that can do 8-12 threads is good enough to create 6 plots in parallel on a 2TB SSD. It might take you a few weeks to fill your drives. Who cares how much CPU watts that is? It's not forever.
I would hope most people have 4-6 core CPU at this point. You don't need a "server CPU".

BTC tip jar: bc1qtepyll2c9fkn67wpnhunclw4mf39nc2jx79zdh
KougarLOB

Activity: 136
Merit: 16

View Profile
May 17, 2021, 04:11:29 AM

I Did BURST for a while back in 2016-2018.  Had as much as 80TB across a few rigs.  The build was nice concept - GPUs mining their coins and hard drive's going their thing.

Internal bickering brought down BURST.  Factions had their disagreements that devolved into each scamming the community on their way out.  Wallet was very well done, even had a built-in messaging system and on-line marketplace.  Unfortunately, the marketplace was entirely begging and investment scams.

Made a fair amount of BTC flipping BURST - buying/selling/repeat within a satoshi difference on Polonix.  Could have been done on any coin with enough volume.

I decommissioned the drives long ago.  Few, if any, places to sell BURST.  Most exchanges de-listed BURST after all the infighting.

1ER7JwEjpjQfm4qaTxy6EaNdNy8MqzP1pt  Smiley
Refrumatrix

Activity: 301
Merit: 13

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
May 17, 2021, 06:04:07 AM

GPU mining wins over every other algorithms except PoS algorithm only, this HDD thing will go into extinction real quick just like burst coin, having 500TB won't matter in near future because the network growth is like 10% every day lol

CryptInvest (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1132

View Profile
May 17, 2021, 08:22:43 AM

In my opinion, the growth of the Burst coin value was overcome by the emission limit. In addition, due to the emission restrictions, the asset can be compared to the doge coin because the transactions are cheap and fast.

Therefore, the coin can be mined for the future.
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
May 17, 2021, 11:03:50 AM

I have a 24-core 3960X Threadripper build with 75TB across 8 HDD, 3 plotting SSD's, 128GB RAM and 9 case fans farming Chia. The whole system uses 450-470W at the wall and that is with 2 RX 580's mining ETH that use at least half of that.
litecoin_messiah

Activity: 355
Merit: 268

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2021, 11:10:57 AM

chia
badbart

Activity: 449
Merit: 24

View Profile
May 17, 2021, 12:04:50 PM

I'm plotting 75-100 plots a day and it just keeping up with network growth.  Thats 7TB a day and thats hundreds of dollars a day I have to add in storage, its not looking good.  Network growth will not stop until mining is barley profitable.
mak013

Activity: 2324
Merit: 746

View Profile
May 17, 2021, 12:09:15 PM

It seems that k32 plot will be in use about 6-12 months. Or may be HDD will be sold out before it. The prices raised x2-x3 and i cant understand this. This is not something new and no one HDD coin was successful before. Someone need to sell HDD?

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
████████████▄▄██▄▄
████████████████████▄▄
░████▄▄████████████████
░█████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀██▀
█████████████████░▄██▄
████████████████░░▀██▀
███████████████
███████████
██████████
█████████
████████
██████████
FloridaKid

Activity: 375
Merit: 15

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
May 17, 2021, 01:09:57 PM

I'm plotting 75-100 plots a day and it just keeping up with network growth.  Thats 7TB a day and thats hundreds of dollars a day I have to add in storage, its not looking good.  Network growth will not stop until mining is barley profitable.
Exactly, this is why I stop all my plans to build a chia coin mining rig, this is nothing compare to GPU mining, at one point in time chia mining will not be profitable anymore just like burstcoin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: