Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:05:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Crash!!  (Read 10528 times)
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 08:00:13 PM

Did anyone sincerely believe any significant amount of new money was entering this pathetic system?  It's just old money changing hands, and as I've said before, you can't get the price to stick in that kind of scenario.  It'll bounce around after large drops and might recover to nearly the "stable" pre-drop price, but, ultimately, the price will continue going down as long as no new money enters the system; and, again, it's apparent that there isn't really any new money entering the system and there's absolutely no reason for anyone to put money into this sinking ship.

A week or two from now, it'll be painfully obvious that this recent "rally" was just like the New York Conference rally; and the long slow slide will continue.  A month from now we'll probably have made new lows.

How low do you want to buy coins ? 0.01 usd?

We know how much you love bitcoin.. save your breath

I actually want the exchange rate to increase because that would be a sign that people are investing in the project (hopefully some of them not merely as speculative investors but users).  The bitcoin market will need to be many times higher than what it is now for this thing to really stick.  But, it's not going to rise because the credibility of the project has been utterly destroyed and no serious money, certainly not enough of it, is entering the system.  What's essentially going on is the same people are just shuffling money and bitcoins around on the exchanges.  More and more of each are getting collected into fewer and fewer hands.  There is no way, in that scenario, for the price to rise and stick, and that's exactly what we've seen for the past 6 months.  Price drops, then rises to nearly where it was before the drop, then levels off, then gradually declines, then drops.  Repeat.  There is no reason to think this is going to stop happening and I think anyone betting otherwise is a fool.

I'm happy to concede that it's possible to make money in this environment.  But, that's essentially bleeding bitcoin and if this keeps up, as it seems it's going to, then what's going on is going to trade bitcoin into oblivion - It's credibility shattered, it's value in perpetual free fall - until the project will be tossed aside into the waste basket of novel internet experiments.  Bitcoin will be lucky to make it as a footnote in internet history and if it does make it it'll be a case study on human greed.

How was bitcoin's credibility ever shattered?

You can't be serious.  Just for starters, there's the MtGox hack, MyBitcoin, Bruce Wagner, the Polish exchange, the encryption bug, the obvious price manipulation, all those DDoS attacks on the pools some months back, CosbyCoin...

You can talk to me all day long about how none of that compromised the protocol and that the protocol chugged happily along the whole time churning out ~50BTCs every 10 minutes or whatever.  Here's my response:  Non-techies do not care about that.  They care whether the money they put in is safe, usable, retrievable, has at least the same purchasing power as what they put in, you know, all the things that have been issues.  Whether you like it or not, for this project to survive it needs more than crypto-nerds and former PC gaming enthusiasts involved.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2011, 08:05:57 PM

You can't be serious.  Just for starters, there's the MtGox hack, MyBitcoin, Bruce Wagner, the Polish exchange, the encryption bug, the obvious price manipulation, all those DDoS attacks on the pools some months back, CosbyCoin...

You can't be serious. What about all those bank robberies? Shouldn't a fiat crash because of them?

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 08:08:13 PM

It's credibility shattered, it's value in perpetual free fall - until the project will be tossed aside into the waste basket of novel internet experiments.  Bitcoin will be lucky to make it as a footnote in internet history and if it does make it it'll be a case study on human greed.

Credibility shattered? Perpetual free fall? Case study on human greed?

This thread is about Bitcoin, not USD. Please keep it on topic.

In all seriousness, Proudhon, just because you've tossed the project into your own waste basket due to a price decline (though STILL up over 100% YoY), doesn't mean others have. We're not all as short-sighted. We don't all have time horizons of half a year.

You call it a "case study in human greed"... but you're the one who abandoned it because of a declining price. Others of us continue to build. It's more like a case study in perseverance and dedication - working on a project despite short-term price fluctuations, despite media cynicism, and despite convention.

Bitcoin is so much more than its spot price in a given month. Sorry that your understanding of it was so easily shaken - it must be somewhat depressing to be so fickle in one's endeavors. But cheer up mate, we'll keep working while you sulk and fuss about.

Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 08:24:10 PM

It's credibility shattered, it's value in perpetual free fall - until the project will be tossed aside into the waste basket of novel internet experiments.  Bitcoin will be lucky to make it as a footnote in internet history and if it does make it it'll be a case study on human greed.

In all seriousness, Proudhon, just because you've tossed the project into your own waste basket due to a price decline (though STILL up over 100% YoY), doesn't mean others have. We're not all as short-sighted. We don't all have time horizons of half a year.

You call it a "case study in human greed"... but you're the one who abandoned it because of a declining price. Others of us continue to build. It's more like a case study in perseverance and dedication - working on a project despite short-term price fluctuations, despite media cynicism, and despite convention.

Bitcoin is so much more than its spot price in a given month. Sorry that your understanding of it was so easily shaken - it must be somewhat depressing to be so fickle in one's endeavors. But cheer up mate, we'll keep working while you sulk and fuss about.

+1

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 08:31:11 PM

+1

Epic, Proudhon was served...

Cheesy

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 08:49:53 PM

Back in October, proudhon turned into a bear troll.  I suddenly got the urge to look up his old posts...
On the way up, proudhon was an enthusiastic miner and also hyped the project a lot.  On the way down, since he wasn't making any money anymore, he turned into the bear troll he is today.
Fun fact: before proudhon turned bearish and started posting in the speculation forum, his top two forums by posts were Bitcoin Discussion and... you guessed it... mining.
I think proudhon is a case study in human greed.

(BFL)^2 < 0
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2011, 09:00:59 PM

He may be trolling but he still brings up good points, so attacking him personally is just trolling in itself. 

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 09:18:04 PM

He may be trolling but he still brings up good points, so attacking him personally is just trolling in itself. 

I find that Nagle actually brings up some good points that are really worth considering from time to time.  Proudhon? ummm...'not so much' (to understate things just a bit.)

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 09:28:46 PM

Quote from: ineededausername
Back in October, proudhon turned into a bear troll.  I suddenly got the urge to look up his old posts...
On the way up, proudhon was an enthusiastic miner and also hyped the project a lot.  On the way down, since he wasn't making any money anymore, he turned into the bear troll he is today.
Fun fact: before proudhon turned bearish and started posting in the speculation forum, his top two forums by posts were Bitcoin Discussion and... you guessed it... mining.

Ok.  Ouch.  Those comments sting.  I'm being serious.  I'm going to think about what you guys have said and offer a sincere response.  At least this much is clear right now, I want to tone it down.  I've allowed myself to go overboard.  So, before I say anything else, let me say this:  Sorry.  Whatever direction I think this project is going to go, I'm sorry for being so glib, flippant, and aggressively negative.  A lot of people with honorable intentions have put a lot of work into bitcoin, and whatever I think is or is not going to happen, I need to reign myself in from being so disrespectful.  Thanks for the wake up call.  I'll post more later.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 09:48:10 PM

Ok.  Ouch.  Those comments sting.  I'm being serious.  I'm going to think about what you guys have said and offer a sincere response.  At least this much is clear right now, I want to tone it down.  I've allowed myself to go overboard.  So, before I say anything else, let me say this:  Sorry.  Whatever direction I think this project is going to go, I'm sorry for being so glib, flippant, and aggressively negative.  A lot of people with honorable intentions have put a lot of work into bitcoin, and whatever I think is or is not going to happen, I need to reign myself in from being so disrespectful.  Thanks for the wake up call.  I'll post more later.

Wow that was an extremely mature and eloquent response. It's okay Proudhon, I just think maybe you've drank from the Chalice of Eternal Pessimism and Woe. It happens. The effects will subside =)

I really appreciate your candor.
ineededausername

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 10:03:59 PM

Wow that was an extremely mature and eloquent response. It's okay Proudhon, I just think maybe you've drank from the Chalice of Eternal Pessimism and Woe. It happens. The effects will subside =)

I really appreciate your candor.

+1

Most mature post I've read for a while on this forum.

(BFL)^2 < 0
teflone

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 10:11:23 PM

Jaw dropped... :O

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 11:04:03 PM

What is this?  Sanity on the Internet.  Maybe Bitcoin will change the world!

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
plastic.elastic

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 11:43:51 PM

Quote from: ineededausername
Back in October, proudhon turned into a bear troll.  I suddenly got the urge to look up his old posts...
On the way up, proudhon was an enthusiastic miner and also hyped the project a lot.  On the way down, since he wasn't making any money anymore, he turned into the bear troll he is today.

Fking loser. Because of scums like you this world is fcked up.

Not about bitcoins but about everything in life.

Tips gladly accepted: 1LPaxHPvpzN3FbaGBaZShov3EFafxJDG42
trogdorjw73

Activity: 482

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2011, 11:46:56 PM

Thank goodness! The normal Internet is back. For a second there I thought it was broken.

ineededausername

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 11:47:32 PM

Thank goodness! The normal Internet is back. For a second there I thought it was broken.
The tubes were clogged.

(BFL)^2 < 0
teflone

View Profile
December 04, 2011, 12:31:32 AM

omg.. im laughing sooo hard... Cheesy  this made my night.. Cheesy

Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
December 04, 2011, 12:38:26 AM

omg.. im laughing sooo hard... Cheesy  this made my night.. Cheesy

Yep, I was similarly entertained by this thread... good stuff :-)

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
December 04, 2011, 03:03:33 AM

thanks guys, you made my crash day

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
December 04, 2011, 03:45:20 AM

pure awesome, I think I woke the neighbors ^^

kudos to proudhon for jumping his own shadow (if that's a valid saying in english).

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: