Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:13:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Guide for Beginners - Limit Orders, Stop Orders, and Stop Limit Orders  (Read 105 times)
SystemTrader (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 20, 2021, 02:05:58 PM
Last edit: May 27, 2021, 09:10:09 PM by SystemTrader
Merited by Symmetrick (1)

I think understanding these quite crucial and it is something that traders should not skip. It is hard to grasp for the majority of traders. I wanted to make it as simple as possible especially for beginner traders who are struggling with those. I will be explaining it in one example. Hope it helps! I will be happy to be corrected if I have any mistakes on it.

As a general idea:
  • A limit order is an open offer to sell at a certain price.
  • A stop order is a trigger, which, if passed, means your position will be sold as soon as possible at the current market price.
  • A stop limit order is a trigger, which, if passed, creates a limit order.

Let's assume you have some assets that currently at $5 and you decide that if it hits $5.50, you are want to sell. And that means you make a limit sell order. Limit sell order basically means it is an order that will be automatically triggered at the first chance to sell at the price you set or above the price you have set ($5.50 for example).

On the other hand, assume that you also want to sell automatically if the price gets to $4.50 or lower so you want to prevent the possible losses. Limit sell order won't work in this case. Let's assume that you used a sell limit order for $4.50, so once you entered the order it will be instantly executed. Because and your position will be sold at $5.00 (current price in the example) which means $5.00 satisfies the condition of being equal to or better than the $4.50 limit price. A limit order is triggered so long as it can be filled at the limit price or better. So that is why a limit sell won't work for this case. We have stop orders (Stop Loss)  for this kind of situation. Stop order will trigger when a sell at the best available market price once the stop price has been reached. For instance, you set the stop loss to $4.50, once the market price passes below that, your position will be sold at the best available market price at that moment.

The difference between Limit orders and stop orders are; in a limit order, the limit price is just a threshold above which you will accept the trade, a stop order the stop price is a trigger: once the market price passes your stop price, then your position will be sold instantly to the highest bidder at that moment.

Now about the stop limit, it basically combines both limit orders and stop losses. It requires that you specify two prices: the stop price and the limit price. If the market price passes the stop price, that will trigger the creation of a limit order within the limit price you have specified.

For example: As for the previous example, you believe that if the price gets low at $4.50, then you need to exit. However, you are definitely not willing to sell below $4.25.Because you are hoping that it will recover one day, so you make a stop limit order where stop price is $4.50 and the limit price is $4.25. When price gets low as $4.50 - the stop will be triggered and your limit will be created at $4.25. the stop price is the trigger to decide you want to make a sell offer, and the limit price is the lowest you are willing to sell for once the stop trigger actually happens.

Another way of you using stop limit order is, you again believe that if the price drops below $4.50, that is a sign that you should exit your position. But at the same time you believe that when price gets that low, there is a high chance that there will a bounce. So if the price gets low to $4.50, it will shortly make it back up to $4.75 before price crushes fully. So in this case you make a stop limit order with $4.50 stop price with a $4.75 limit price.

NOTE: These explanations are for selling. These types of orders exist for buying as well and it works the same but only vice versa.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DdmrDdmr
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 10758

There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2021, 02:25:46 PM

You seem to have found your source for inspiration in this Reddit post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/lolbo6/a_beginners_guide_to_limit_orders_stop_orders_and/

Since the structure and some of the phrases bear a strong resemblance, despite changing the example figures and a fair share of the expressions, one should leave a reference to the original text to avoid being accused of plagiarism somewhere down the line.

It’s ok to relate to external articles, and it often happens, and put it into his own words, but one needs to make sure there is no possible confusion between self-brewed content, and one picked from the marrows of another source. The source link reference does that.
CSquared Collective

Activity: 38
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2021, 03:47:25 PM

I assume these are all for centralized exchanges with order books. How does it work with DEXs? Do these types exist or a totally different experience with AMMs?

Any recommendations on which DEX's to try?
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
May 22, 2021, 04:23:06 PM

Good explanations. I would add there are risks with stop loss and stop limit orders.

A stop loss creates a market order and a market order is filled at any price. If the price is falling quickly, the order could be filled far below the trigger price. This is how people get burned in a flash crash.

A stop limit creates a limit order that may never be filled. The order will never be filled if the price does not remain at or above the limit price or return to the limit price. Setting the limit price below the trigger price reduces this risk but there is still no guarantee.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
SystemTrader (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 23, 2021, 07:29:43 PM

You seem to have found your source for inspiration in this Reddit post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/lolbo6/a_beginners_guide_to_limit_orders_stop_orders_and/

Since the structure and some of the phrases bear a strong resemblance, despite changing the example figures and a fair share of the expressions, one should leave a reference to the original text to avoid being accused of plagiarism somewhere down the line.

It’s ok to relate to external articles, and it often happens, and put it into his own words, but one needs to make sure there is no possible confusion between self-brewed content, and one picked from the marrows of another source. The source link reference does that.

I have other references that I read on it. But other ones have a bit more complicated explanations so because of that I  tried to combine but since that reddit post has way more basic explanation so in order to make it more understandable I took my inspiration mostly from the reddit post.

I should have added it here as a reference. Will keep that in mind next time. I appreciate for clarification.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: