Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:27:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Information on ATI 7xxx Series Dec. 5th!  (Read 14985 times)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 05:47:15 PM

Wait.. so what's the verdict?  Does the 7-series suck for hashing or not?

Too early to say and the data from various sites conflicts each other.

We do know AMD has broken the 7000 series into three "groups"
7900 series (7950, 7970, and dual GPU 7990) - This is definately a new architecture (CGN) which doesn't look very SHA friendly.
7700/7800 series  -  THE BIG UNKNOWN.
7600 series - OEM junk low end crap.  This will be die shrink of 6000 series cards.  In theory would have good efficiency but each card is so low powered that likely not very useful.

Some sites say the 7700/7800 series cards will be old architecture.  If they are, then on paper the 7850 looks like a monster hashing cards.  However some newer articles indicate the entire 7700/7800 series will be CGN.  If that is true then likely it will be bad hashing performance.

All depends on who you believe however the future doesn't look bright.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
m3sSh3aD

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 05:57:53 PM

The money spent on mining rigs would just be put into FPGA boards. Yes, twice the price+ but the power savings are IMMENSE! Plus more people design/buy FPGA which WILL happen if the 7800/7700's are screwed up. THen becoming more viable to the average joe who's interested and AMD lose whats basically holding them up above NVIDIA. AMD (or NVIDIA) need to design a dedicated mining card. There missing a trick the size of jupiter by not doing.

p,s, AMD/ATI please, Don't want no bumpgate cheapo nasty oven cookers thank you Tongue (personal opinion)
CA Coins
Donator

Activity: 305

View Profile
December 21, 2011, 07:38:09 AM

following this madness
P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 21, 2011, 07:42:52 AM
Last edit: December 21, 2011, 08:18:47 AM by P4man

p4man and deathandtaxes are my favourite people around here don't you know! Sorry i don't know p4man to your superior knowledge... (SARCASM) I have a life too.

And yes, I'm mining fine at a profit and i've had my bill. Even at a lowly $2 i was still in the + so that pisses on yours and deathandtaxes bombfire with all your technicalities.

LOL, "Technicalities" as in  first grade math using numbers you supplied for electricity cost and hash rate?  But keep thinking your overvolted cards are somehow 10x more profitable than anyone else's despite you having twice the electricity cost.

Here is a hint: your electricity supplier probably uses moving averages, so you havent paid all your electricity cost yet. But do keep at it, you'll get rich.

For those curious, here is a quote:

Quote from: m3sSh3aD
I live in uk (expensive) and at the rate now i mine less than 24 hours in the week to cover the electric. Its expensive here too. Very. the other 6+ days is profit.

As it turns out, your own stated BTC revenue didnt even cover half your stated electricity cost.  But Im the idiot that did learn math. Of course they never taught me your miracle solution :

"I TURN MY BTC INTO AT LEAST TWICE WHAT THEY ARE WORTH!"

I should put that in my sig. Its golden.

film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2011, 10:58:00 AM

I just heard that that the HD7970 is close to the HD6990 in the benchmarks shown on this link:
http://www.fudzilla.com/graphics/item/25259-radeon-hd-7970-close-to-hd-6990

If this is anything to go by,then it may be very good for mining as well.

Overclocking this card would get this even closer to a HD6990 though.I hope this is repeatable for mining as well.

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
bulanula

View Profile
December 21, 2011, 11:35:27 AM

I just heard that that the HD7970 is close to the HD6990 in the benchmarks shown on this link:

Overclocking this card would get this even closer to a HD6990 though.I hope this is repeatable for mining as well.

If it is using CGN then I think it still will suck. Reality right now is that 5870 and 5970 were the best mining cards ever created. All the rest suck for integer heavy operations like Bitcoin and bruteforcing stuff.
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2011, 11:58:44 AM

If it is using CGN then I think it still will suck. Reality right now is that 5870 and 5970 were the best mining cards ever created. All the rest suck for integer heavy operations like Bitcoin and bruteforcing stuff.

Thanks for the info.It looks like we'll still be using HD58xx,HD5970s and the top end HD69xx series cards then for a lot longer than I expect.Looks like the HD79xx and HD78xx won't be the most suitable cards for mining then.Guess I'll have to wait for FPGAs and more previous gen cards to be affordable then. If minings not the HD7xxx strongpoint then what do they work best with?

m3sSh3aD

View Profile
December 21, 2011, 12:18:27 PM

p4man and deathandtaxes are my favourite people around here don't you know! Sorry i don't know p4man to your superior knowledge... (SARCASM) I have a life too.

And yes, I'm mining fine at a profit and i've had my bill. Even at a lowly $2 i was still in the + so that pisses on yours and deathandtaxes bombfire with all your technicalities.

LOL, "Technicalities" as in  first grade math using numbers you supplied for electricity cost and hash rate?  But keep thinking your overvolted cards are somehow 10x more profitable than anyone else's despite you having twice the electricity cost.

Here is a hint: your electricity supplier probably uses moving averages, so you havent paid all your electricity cost yet. But do keep at it, you'll get rich.

For those curious, here is a quote:

I live in uk (expensive) and at the rate now i mine less than 24 hours in the week to cover the electric. Its expensive here too. Very. the other 6+ days is profit.

As it turns out, your own stated BTC revenue didnt even cover half your stated electricity cost.  But Im the idiot that did learn math. Of course they never taught me your miracle solution :

"I TURN MY BTC INTO AT LEAST TWICE WHAT THEY ARE WORTH!"

I should put that in my sig. Its golden.

Man, You might be the biggest troll i've ever know. I spoke to the electric company if you read this post and got my bill IN DETAIL OVER THE PHONE. Your quoting me when i was 'guesstimating' with OTT to cover my ass. Turns out it i was always in the + WITH OC'ing them all to 965/300 to get that 400m/hash with ease each. As i say, Even @ $2 i still made a small profit, Not 6x admittedly, but again, i was guesstimating as I DON’T DO THIS SOLELY FOR THE MONEY FOR THE LAST TIME LIKE YOUR SAD ASS! Jesus man. Do you listen or just spurt diarrhoea at me?

Do you realise i was only giving advice on OC'ing cause people were asking also back in them ANCIENT threads, and good advice on OC'ing at that, Better and more helpful than you do. You just like flaming people. But i LOVE banter so i'll just steam roll it back in your face. I've helped and been helped by people on here and even deathandtaxes is becoming interesting, just as long as he doesn’t keep his dik up your ass we'll be ok Smiley

I'm making at least 2x what i put in at $4 mate so i exaggerated 6x, but when i started it was 10-15$ ass wipe. I do multiply my bitcoins (your just too dumb to work it out cause your blind sighted or just dumb to the world cause of your trolling) and have just cashed a load in and going away for 2 month before years out. So yes, BTC's are working perfectly fine for me but if your suffering, That's your loss. Not that the cash IS THE POINT FOR ME, IT'S THE PRINCIPLE/IDEA! But i bet that goes over your head! are you 14 or something p4man!

Why am i even replying to this turd. It's gets me nowhere as he just wants to flame and not listen, Thats obvious. Is it me or is it him? I'm sure its him! He's a massive troll isn’t he and i aint seen ANY help to anyone from him! Does he even mine? p4man, I've accepted my few errors but i hate to inform you that they are minor and even less minor to me personally. IF BTC dies (somehow) im in it for principle/idea, so something new will come along with the same principles or even better. It's about removing the 1%er's for me and living my own life my own way out of the system. I got my own mind, How about you?

BTW

@ Holliday - I don't have evidence no, its my opinion. Is all. I'd like see evidence showing that it doesn’t make them money.... i know that alot of 5 series cards would still be around if it wasn't for mining. And 6 series at that. Old 4 series cards still play modern games and 5 & 6 series will run games for the next 3-5 years on max detail. Core2 Chips still run modern and all upcoming software FAST! Why would people upgrade unless they have more money then sense or an enthusiast? A 6870 can run almost all games on ultra, Thats a 5770 equivalent. BF3/Deus EX etc. Only game i found it wont is STALKER:COP with ADD-ONS such as SMRTER/AtmosFear etc as it rwuire 3GB video Ram with add-ons. So why upgrade to a 7 series when 5 & 6 are perfectly fine and 7 WILL have issues initially due to new design. 6 series should have been skipped completely, No need if you ask me. No real improvement over 5 series IMO and often wasnt as fast as the direct related 5 series. Sad.

If the 7970 is as fast as a 6990 thst would be nice for gamers who want to play....... STALKER COP..... haha Smiley Good thing with 7 series is die shrink of cause which should make it a nice upgrade for anyone with less than a 5 series. 5-6 series are fine imo. FOR GAMING THAT IS. Mining is 58xx/59xx/68xx/69xx and thats it. 7 will suck.

FPGA for the win anyways, It's obviously the future with lower power requirements, Less heat and lower cooling bills. I use 12" extraction which works but more VGA would require some tinkering.

7 series.... i recon it'll fail to impress, Even gamers if they have a high end 5-6 series, Power saving is the only reasonable thing going for it if you ask me. Personal opinion there again p4man. I caln have them you know, Own mind and all, try it sometime....
P4man

View Profile
December 21, 2011, 12:50:12 PM

Turns out it i was always in the + WITH OC'ing them all to 965/300 to get that 400m/hash with ease each. As i say, Even @ $2 i still made a small profit, Not 6x admittedly, but again, i was guesstimating

Still havent opened a math book and looked up divisions it seems.

At your stated electricity price of $0.25 (16 pence) per KwH, at your stated $2/BTC price, do the math and tell me how many MH/W you need to achieve break-even even with todays difficulty (which is lower than when you made that claim). Its not rocket science.  Hint: its over 3MH/W.

Your claim of earning 6x your electricity cost was hilariously false when you first made it, and your current claim is just as false today. No GPU based mining rig achieves 3MH/W. Definitely not your overvolted 69x0 cards.
Welcome to my ignore list.

SlaveInDebt

Activity: 699

Your Minion

View Profile
December 21, 2011, 12:56:53 PM

Back to the cards.

Fan noise for all your sleeping needs.
http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=9089776&postcount=2343

"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." - Mark Twain
m3sSh3aD

View Profile
December 21, 2011, 01:56:53 PM

Welcome to my ignore list.

3 coins a day @ £2 each x7 = 63x4= £252 for 28 days mining. My electric bill is 100-110 a month. THats how i do my maths. Even 2 coins a day or a drop to £1.33($2.08 ill have you know) would give me £168 still leaving a profit. And i invest my BTC and work them so stick that in your pipe and smoke it!

your defo on my ignore list mate, Go into as many details as you like, ill go by hard figures i have in front of me Smiley Been good banter, i do love it Tongue

btw

slaveindebt - I cant read that, can you explain. Looks german or dutch Smiley
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
December 21, 2011, 05:06:41 PM

ass wipe
your just too dumb
your blind sighted
just dumb to the world cause of your trolling
are you 14 or something
Why am i even replying to this turd.
It's gets me nowhere as he just wants to flame and not listen,
Thats obvious.
Is it me or is it him?
I'm sure its him!
He's a massive troll
isn’t he
and i aint seen ANY help to anyone from him!
I got my own mind,

I am sorry to say this, but now it is you who sounds like a 14-year old... with an inferiority complex.

Old 4 series cards still play modern games
Core2 Chips still run modern and all upcoming software FAST!
True
and 5 & 6 series will run games for the next 3-5 years on max detail
Can you predict btc prices too?
A 6870 can run almost all games on ultra,
Thats a 5770 equivalent.
Nope.
6870 is 10% faster than 5850 (in games, as you started talking about games, for sha256 5850 ofc wins)
5770=6770 (same chip)
5770 slightly slower than/same as 4870
5770 is 40% slower than 6870
http://tpucdn.com/reviews/HIS/Radeon_HD_6870/images/perfrel_1920.gif

7 series.... i recon it'll fail to impress, Even gamers if they have a high end 5-6 series
Let's wait and see. The price will be most important if reduced wattage is to be the main change over 5xxx

Signature space available for rent.
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 21, 2011, 07:15:23 PM

Well,I get 840 m/hash(420 each with OC'in) with my crossfire 6970's @ 740 watts(entire PC with fans & AMD 965 quad).My electricity is .11 kwh=about $60-80 per month.Still profitable,but barely.

I rock BF3 so I'm getting my moneies worth Grin

I'm watching & waiting..........the 7000's need to beat that by 30-40%(power consumption or hashing) for me to even think about upgrading.

Doubtful I'll upgrade my GPU's anyways as FPGA's are looking more promising,but @ almost $600 for 300+ m/hash its still a bit much too invest just yet,if they come down to around $400 or so..............

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
December 21, 2011, 07:43:05 PM

Well,I get 840 m/hash(420 each with OC'in) with my crossfire 6970's @ 740 watts(entire PC with fans & AMD 965 quad).My electricity is .11 kwh=about $60-80 per month.Still profitable,but barely.

You could sell your 6970 and get a 5970+5850 (or 5830 at least)

You could also underclock and undervolt your CPU to 1 GHz or less... unless you ain't only mining with it Cheesy

Signature space available for rent.
Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
December 21, 2011, 08:56:59 PM

Well,MSI Afterburner crashes my PC when playin BF3 or BC2,so I'm stuck using CCC or whatever it is.So no underclocks for my mem...........& the 6970 xfire is soooo sweet Cool

As for CPU,I OC my FSB to 206,a little extra for the games Wink

But my gaming is more important than mining for now,unless we hit $8-10 per coin......or more Undecided

+ gameing is anger management for me Shocked

Thanks for the info Grin

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
December 21, 2011, 09:15:42 PM

Well,MSI Afterburner crashes my PC when playin BF3 or BC2,so I'm stuck using CCC or whatever it is.So no underclocks for my mem...........& the 6970 xfire is soooo sweet Cool

Weird, i just hit "Reset" on MSI Afterburner before playing and everything run fine, BF3 too

Mousepotato

Activity: 896

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
December 21, 2011, 09:23:24 PM

As for CPU,I OC my FSB to 206,a little extra for the games Wink

But my gaming is more important than mining for now,unless we hit $8-10 per coin......or more Undecided

+ gameing is anger management for me Shocked

Thanks for the info Grin

After this last patch I noticed my frame rates dropping to like 1-2fps every now and then.  Usually it's around 80-120.  It happens often enough to be REALLY annoying, and sometimes the game will just lock up for me.  It usually occurs when I turn really fast or scope-in -- basically whenever I encounter an enemy player, lol perfect timing!

I did some searching and there's currently no fix for it, but some people have had success by updating their audio drivers (for those using Realtek onboard audio).  Also disabling CCC's "AMD Optimized" tesselation seems to help as well.  Unfortunately I've yet to find a fix that works on my system. Sad

Mousepotato
m3sSh3aD

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 12:53:12 AM

malevolent -- Point taken, i just get carried away with banter sometimes Smiley Actually i dont give 2 shits about the 7 series no more haha.

BF3, i kick ya ass in heli. Was 89th in world before on BF2. I got BF3 after i promised not to buy EA again for £7.50. Paid 11.99 for expansion for been a BF2 sucker ha. Me and a good co pilot and you aint got a chance with the new systems.

FPGA for the win, whatever adios, see you next year
SlaveInDebt

Activity: 699

Your Minion

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 04:31:29 AM
Last edit: December 22, 2011, 05:13:25 AM by SlaveInDebt

http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/2472/amd-radeon-hd-7970-review

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/49646-amd-radeon-hd-7970-3gb-review-22.html

"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." - Mark Twain
Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 05:28:03 AM

malevolent -- Point taken, i just get carried away with banter sometimes Smiley Actually i dont give 2 shits about the 7 series no more haha.

BF3, i kick ya ass in heli. Was 89th in world before on BF2. I got BF3 after i promised not to buy EA again for £7.50. Paid 11.99 for expansion for been a BF2 sucker ha. Me and a good co pilot and you aint got a chance with the new systems.

FPGA for the win, whatever adios, see you next year

Well,we are always looking for good players to fill our server,check us out,we have our own 64 man server & a private server for us to practice on.Just come & kill,we're not stars at the game but we do have a great time,we also use Mumble for comms:)

http://theblackduck.net/araven/

Hope you get your game goin Mouse,would be fun to see some guys from the "Bitcoin place" in game Cheesy

We have some fixes we found out about on our forum,so check em out & hope one of em gets you up & playin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW,my name in game is my name here Cool

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: