Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 03:19:54 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I really don't get it.. why were people leaving their coins online @ Gox anyway?  (Read 1379 times)
virtuexru (OP)

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

litecoin!

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 03:31:28 PM

I only learned about Bitcoin late last year so I know I'm late to the game. I bought my first BTC in December from CoinBase. I immediately withdrew it and now keep a few copies in an offline wallet (usb sticks and an external HD). I understand some people 'trade' and things like that, but why did so many people lose coin? What is the advantage of keeping coins on Gox other then trading? Converting back into fiat?

Just curious as to why, after all the security issues and dubious signs of Gox's incompetence did people still trust them to hold their BTC balances that were at one point worth over $1,200/each?
Stratobitz
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 03:34:02 PM

People leave buy and sell orders open.  Same as any exchange. Coins or stocks.
virtuexru (OP)

litecoin!

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 03:38:38 PM

People leave buy and sell orders open.  Same as any exchange. Coins or stocks.

Yea but exchanges that deal in stocks/options/forex are usually multiple times more secure than any BTC related exchange because the technology behind them has been tested & audited and proven to work/be secure because the volume of money is in order of magnitudes larger than the BTC market.
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 03:44:51 PM

Yea but exchanges that deal in stocks/options/forex are usually multiple times more secure than any BTC related exchange because the technology behind them has been tested & audited and proven to work/be secure because the volume of money is in order of magnitudes larger than the BTC market.

Erm, NO.
BTC is more secure, it just depends on who you trust your coins with.
Polycoin

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 03:51:20 PM

You can leave your bitcoin with me, I'll triple it in 1 hour.

Polycoin Troopers, Assemble!
virtuexru (OP)

litecoin!

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 03:52:18 PM

Erm, NO.
BTC is more secure, it just depends on who you trust your coins with.

I think you misread what I wrote. You are saying BTC exchanges are more secure than stock/option exchanges? Because that is false.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3260

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 03:59:35 PM

ignorance, laziness, and naivete.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
jl2012
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1097

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:06:23 PM

I only learned about Bitcoin late last year so I know I'm late to the game. I bought my first BTC in December from CoinBase. I immediately withdrew it and now keep a few copies in an offline wallet (usb sticks and an external HD). I understand some people 'trade' and things like that, but why did so many people lose coin? What is the advantage of keeping coins on Gox other then trading? Converting back into fiat?

Just curious as to why, after all the security issues and dubious signs of Gox's incompetence did people still trust them to hold their BTC balances that were at one point worth over $1,200/each?

Greed, ignorance, and laziness

Donation address: 374iXxS4BuqFHsEwwxUuH3nvJ69Y7Hqur3 (Bitcoin ONLY)
LRDGENPLYrcTRssGoZrsCT1hngaH3BVkM4 (LTC)
PGP: D3CC 1772 8600 5BB8 FF67 3294 C524 2A1A B393 6517
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:10:39 PM

Human nature. Fear of losing private keys. Easier. Quicker. Proscrastination. People are accustomed to websites with an account, and banks with an account, not to some paper or USB wallet stored under their sofa.

(source: http://hackingdistributed.com/2014/03/22/just-so-mtgox/)

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
virtuexru (OP)

litecoin!

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:11:27 PM

Human nature. Fear of losing private keys. Easier. Quicker. Proscrastination. People are accustomed to websites with an account, and banks with an account, not to some paper or USB wallet stored under their sofa.

Makes sense to me. Well put.
Joshuar

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

eidoo wallet

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:14:37 PM

That's why we need Bitcoin Insurance. To ensure bitcoin put on exchanges up to a certain point, like 200 Bitcoin are the max that can be deposited in a exchange per person and and Not lose incase theres a bankruptcy, similar to banks...

This insurance could work on all alt coins.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
AnonyMint

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:17:34 PM

And once to move to insurance you bring in government regulation then Bitcoin's money supply will no longer be controlled by the block chain, but by the government.

This is why roughly a year ago I realized the only way we can have our idealistic outcome is we need a crypto coin which is only for the smart people. And I set out to accomplish that. That is why I am very happy if most go with Bitcoin.

We don't need the entire world in our idealistic crypto coin. We need smart users who use decentralized exchanges and services.

The masses will destroy Bitcoin, just as they always do.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:21:03 PM

I think to really succeed in the bitcoin economy you have to unlearn some things that the bank run states teach you form the cradle. There is no FDIC with bitcoin and this is a good thing. If you want the freedom of crypto currency you also accept a level of responsibility. This includes taking extra time to evaluate where you have your money and who you trust with it. Personally I only trust me.  

jl2012
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1097

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:21:54 PM

That's why we need Bitcoin Insurance. To ensure bitcoin put on exchanges up to a certain point, like 200 Bitcoin are the max that can be deposited in a exchange per person and and Not lose incase theres a bankruptcy, similar to banks...

This insurance could work on all alt coins.

With insurance someone has to pay premium. There is no free insurance

Donation address: 374iXxS4BuqFHsEwwxUuH3nvJ69Y7Hqur3 (Bitcoin ONLY)
LRDGENPLYrcTRssGoZrsCT1hngaH3BVkM4 (LTC)
PGP: D3CC 1772 8600 5BB8 FF67 3294 C524 2A1A B393 6517
AnonyMint

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:23:11 PM

I think to really succeed in the bitcoin economy you have to unlearn some things that the bank run states teach you form the cradle. There is no FDIC with bitcoin and this is a good thing. If you want the freedom of crypto currency you also accept a level of responsibility. This includes taking extra time to evaluate where you have your money and who you trust with it. Personally I only trust me.  

Not yet, but it is coming because the masses are not responsible. I agree with your idealism, but the reality is the masses will overrule you and Bitcoin will become what they want.

And the feature that will keep the masses out of the idealistic coin will be strong anonymity. The masses will stay with Bitcoin because they trust the government. The smart people (millions of them) will use the anonymous coin and avoid the coming trainwreck of the masses.

When that trainwreck is complete by 2024 or so, then the masses will see the anonymous coin survived and everything else was destroyed in a heap of taxation and confiscation. So the smart people win in the end.

Polycoin

Activity: 294

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:30:48 PM

And once to move to insurance you bring in government regulation then Bitcoin's money supply will no longer be controlled by the block chain, but by the government.

This is why roughly a year ago I realized the only way we can have our idealistic outcome is we need a crypto coin which is only for the smart people. And I set out to accomplish that. That is why I am very happy if most go with Bitcoin.

We don't need the entire world in our idealistic crypto coin. We need smart users who use decentralized exchanges and services.

The masses will destroy Bitcoin, just as they always do.

i loled..

Polycoin Troopers, Assemble!
virtuexru (OP)

litecoin!

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:31:31 PM

Not yet, but it is coming because the masses are not responsible. I agree with your idealism, but the reality is the masses will overrule you and Bitcoin will become what they want.

And the feature that will keep the masses out of the idealistic coin will be strong anonymity. The masses will stay with Bitcoin because they trust the government. The smart people (millions of them) will use the anonymous coin and avoid the coming trainwreck of the masses.

When that trainwreck is complete by 2024 or so, then the masses will see the anonymous coin survived and everything else was destroyed in a heap of taxation and confiscation. So the smart people win in the end.

Ohhhh now I remember you. You're the woo-peddler from all the other threads. Jeez dude, don't infect my thread with your future predicting bullshit because it ain't happening. Sorry dude. You and your anonymous coin, wish you all the best of luck but let's leave this discussion for people who actually base things on fact and not vague references about statistics (millions of smart people will... the masses will... masses are not...).. who are you to speak for the human race? You sir are not Plato or Einstein but more like a propaganda spewing Hitler.
DubFX

Activity: 434

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:32:09 PM

I'd say naivity and maybe they are afraid they hardware could crash?
durrrr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:33:37 PM

I also bet that most people had a lot of trust in gox and thought they would always be there if bitcoin was. Gox is the oldest and was the most reputable out there. no one thought gox would just pick up and be gone the next day.

AnonyMint

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:43:38 PM

Just study history. The masses do the same thing over and over again. If you want to join with them, go ahead. Enjoy.

Why do you associate me with Hitler? I am trying to avoid the Hitler result that the masses always cause with their irresponsibility.

But I am not forcing you to do anything. As I said, I am very happy for the masses to have want they want and the result that comes from getting what they want.

I am happy if they stay far away from idealistic solutions that prevent them from getting what they want and protect me (and others who agree with me) from them (and you if you join them).

So why be bitter? You get what you want and I get what I want. What is wrong with that if we can each have a path that is separate? Then we can compare later which path outperformed.

But masses get very jealous when one path is more successful. They like to steal it back using the government to take it for them with taxes and confiscation. So I don't expect you to be rational and fair.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: