Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:28:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this possible to mine file coin on DigitalOcean  (Read 79 times)
CryptoYar (OP)

Activity: 1064
Merit: 635

View Profile
July 09, 2021, 04:32:27 PM
Last edit: July 10, 2021, 08:19:18 AM by CryptoYar

Someone told me that we can mine FileCoin on the DigitalOcean cloud server and sent this link > https://docs.filecoin.io/get-started/lotus/installation/#running-in-the-cloud

So my question is:
Will Digitalocean allow this? I mean isn't it against their term and conditions? Because once I tried to mine XMR on the digital ocean they suspended my account within few hours.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Lafu
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 3043

View Profile
July 09, 2021, 06:23:30 PM

I never tried to mine Filecoin and just readed the Link you posted and it looks like its just a simple way to catch many with the ref Link that there is posted first.
On the other side i think you should be write directly to the DigitalOcean Support and ask them if that is allowed so you know more and exactly if you can or not.
Thats what i would doing on the first stage , if you get an answer you can post it here again and you can let others know it.

Bitcoin_Arena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1786

฿itcoin for all, All for ฿itcoin.

View Profile
July 09, 2021, 10:45:22 PM

Will Digitalocean allow this? I mean isn't it against their term and conditions? Because once I tried to mine XMR on the digital ocean they suspended my account within few hours.
Did you try to inquire from Digital Ocean why your account was suspended?

Anyway, they do consider crypto mining as part of network abuse in their terms of service unless you have permission

Network Abuse
You may not make network connections to any users, hosts, or networks unless you have permission to communicate with them. Prohibited activities include:

Mining of Cryptocurrencies. Mining any cryptocurrency, including but not limited to BitCoin or any similar currency, without explicit written permission.

Contact their support for clarifications and possibly permission.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Coin-1
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2174

View Profile
July 10, 2021, 03:16:49 AM

So my question is:

As far as I know, the Filecoin mining algorithm is different from the Monero or Bitcoin mining algorithms. FIL miners (such as Lotus) do not consume computing power but contribute to the storage capacity of the entire network. In other words, they help Filecoin holders store their data by earning FIL rewards. Perhaps the DigitalOcean monitoring system is currently unable to detect such type of activity, so this cloud service does not suspend the accounts that mine coins not based on the Proof-of-Work algorithm.

However, since Filecoin is a cryptocurrency, the Acceptable Use Policy requires all customers to obtain explicit written permission to start mining any coin. Perhaps Filecoin is not blacklisted by the DigitalOcean company, so you can contact them ahead of time.
CryptoYar (OP)

Activity: 1064
Merit: 635

View Profile
July 10, 2021, 08:18:54 AM

i think you should be write directly to the DigitalOcean Support and ask them if that is allowed so you know more and exactly if you can or not.

After contacting the support team got the same reply as expected.

Quote from:  digitalocean team
Hello there,

Thanks for reaching out to DigitalOcean!

While we do not specifically disallow mining, we do discourage it as we do not currently offer GPU's and mining via CPU will not yield the same or similar results as would be possible with a GPU. Our Standard Droplets provide shared resources, thus, maxing out the CPU there would potentially result in the Droplet being shut down since that can impact others on our platform using similar Droplet sizes.

Did you try to inquire from Digital Ocean why your account was suspended?
Yes I asked, they replied that my account was suspended due to mining activities.

~
Yes, probably the file coin is not on their blacklist yet. But it is also possible that they blacklist it the very next moment when I start mining it. So I think it's good to abandon this idea.

Thanks for your comments, now I come to know that mining on DigitalOcean is a bad idea, they never allow mining no matter what coin you want to mine. Locking this thread
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: