Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 12:16:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you think about this mini display monitor for rigs?  (Read 147 times)
7deadlyBTCIN (OP)

Activity: 120
Merit: 15

View Profile
July 11, 2021, 07:44:24 PM

I came across a better display option ( 5 inches TFT display monitor) for my mining rigs instead of using my 24 inches monitor for display which still draws some watts since I'm running on solar and trying my best to save power in all way possible, here is what I found

How do you see this? A good idea or a bad one? Anyone using such?
miner29

Activity: 1264
Merit: 138

View Profile
July 11, 2021, 07:56:29 PM

I just use a single 10” screen and move it to whatever rig im working.  Big enough to easily see and yet small, light and cheap.

Rigs running no issue are monitorless.
DevFile90

Activity: 227
Merit: 12

View Profile
July 11, 2021, 09:31:44 PM

Actually that display is for raspberry pi 3+ or latter but I'm not show it will work with windows 10, you need to try it out and see or go on YouTube maybe you'd see video about this display just to confirm before buying

██████████████ ███████ █│     S y n t r u m     │     JOIN NOW     │█ ███████ ██████████████
►   Blockchain Infrastructure for DeFi, Gaming and NFT   ◄
██████████████       |       Twitter       |     Telegram     |      Medium      |       ██████████████
Nhazwrath

Activity: 290
Merit: 40

View Profile
July 11, 2021, 11:54:21 PM

I buy 10 dollar monitors from second hand stores.   and i turn them off to save power.

My most recent acquisition is an acer 24 inch 1080P.   the base of it was busted off wouldn't stay upright.   10 minutes of effort with some screws 12 inches of 2x4 and 2 inches of cedar shake and i have an upright standing on its own 1080p monitor.    the idea is to be cheap and save money.  so i disapprove of it  =>

but its cute though.   

I also have a Lenovo(IBM) commercial monitor of some sort its over 12 years old got it for 5 buck works great but smallish screen.   who cares.  its off 99% of the time like the acer.  I do most of my monitoring through an App.
Looper_U

Activity: 369
Merit: 16

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
July 12, 2021, 01:56:25 AM

I've seen a YouTube video about a crypto farm that has a very small display screen like what OP showed, that thing will save energy for sure but it doesn't bother me because when mining I always off my monitor and use Nicehash app to take a peek at my hashrate and other things, feel free to choose any

adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1718

View Profile
July 12, 2021, 03:16:57 AM

Most people never have a monitor, or a keyboard or a mouse connected to their mining rig. They basically either use Linux and just ssh into the terminal or use teamviewer if they are using Windows.

The only time I had to physically hook up a monitor and keyboard was during install or if there was some issue that I couldn't diagnose remotely. So there is no point in leaving a monitor plugged in all the time.

Actually if you leave it plugged in, especially to your GPU it will decrease hashrate or even lead to crashes such it takes more power to output to a display.
TheMimic1

Activity: 252
Merit: 13

View Profile
July 12, 2021, 06:16:19 AM

Most people never have a monitor, or a keyboard or a mouse connected to their mining rig. They basically either use Linux and just ssh into the terminal or use teamviewer if they are using Windows.

The only time I had to physically hook up a monitor and keyboard was during install or if there was some issue that I couldn't diagnose remotely. So there is no point in leaving a monitor plugged in all the time.

Actually if you leave it plugged in, especially to your GPU it will decrease hashrate or even lead to crashes such it takes more power to output to a display.
You are right but for those who can't use Linux OS they have to use monitor anyways, the best way is to use CPU/Motherboard as display meaning no hdmi cable on GPU but the motherboard itself, this won't affect GPU hashrate and also after setting things right they can switch off the monitor to save power

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀     ITSMYNE     ▀▀▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Social-plus NFT marketplace for official sports NFTs
[      t w i t t e r      ]  [    t e l e g r a m    ]  [   i n s t a g r a m   ]  [      d i s c o r d      ]
joniboini
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1792

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2021, 06:22:58 AM

As others have said before, why would you need a small monitor if you don't really need to turn on your monitor every day? I have a 27inch 2k monitor and on standby, it just consumes less than 0.5 watts (or maybe lower), so I don't think there's a problem with your current setup. Especially if your target is to save power, then turning off your monitor or disconnect it from the power brick would be better no? If you still want to buy it though, by all means, there's no problem with it.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
batsonxl

Activity: 1196
Merit: 26

View Profile
July 12, 2021, 08:51:13 AM

They work fine but i found buying used monitor like regular 19-20 inch monitors are more cheaper than this Smiley
Bravehash

Activity: 196
Merit: 11

View Profile
July 12, 2021, 09:14:38 AM

It depend on how much you are getting this mini display for, remember you can get a used monitor for 10$ or ,12$ so if this mini display is at such range then it's a good buy, to stay efficiency all you need to do is off the monitor and use app to trace your mining performance

sxemini

Activity: 1558
Merit: 69

View Profile
July 12, 2021, 11:15:50 AM

You are right but for those who can't use Linux OS they have to use monitor anyways, the best way is to use CPU/Motherboard as display meaning no hdmi cable on GPU but the motherboard itself, this won't affect GPU hashrate and also after setting things right they can switch off the monitor to save power

Why you must use a monitor if you using windows? Use anydesk, teamviewer or remote to desktop to connect to your rig. You don´t need any monitor on your rig!
miner29

Activity: 1264
Merit: 138

View Profile
July 12, 2021, 10:28:08 PM

Why you must use a monitor if you using windows? Use anydesk, teamviewer or remote to desktop to connect to your rig. You don´t need any monitor on your rig!

As noted above by several…there are times you need a monitor on the rig (but only during that time)….like when you need to replace the cmos battery for the bios….because you cant remote into the bios.  Or anytime the rig fails to boot.  This is why i and others recommend having a monitor to put on it for those times.  But not to leave it there. 
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1718

View Profile
July 13, 2021, 02:33:02 AM

For Windows you don't need to boot in with a monitor. If your GPU is stuck in like 300Mhz all the time then you need to use one of those fake hdmi dummy plugs, but i've been running many headless setups for years using software such as Teamviewer. I even remember I upgraded all my Win7 rigs to Win10 without having to connect a monitor or keyboard, all it was done thru teamviewer.

When you need to do something low level like going into a bios, then obviously you got no choice. You need to plug in a monitor in there and at least a keyboard. A good tip is that if you are building your open air rig, make sure to mount the GPU0 (plugged into pci3.0 x16 port) somewhere, where you can easily access the DVI connection if you need to plug it in.

If your computer fails to load because a keyboard is not plugged in, then there is a setting to disable that in bios. However most of the time, newer motherboards don't give this errors only legacy motherboards which fail to boot if a keyboard isnt plugged in.
sxemini

Activity: 1558
Merit: 69

View Profile
July 13, 2021, 08:29:03 AM

As noted above by several…there are times you need a monitor on the rig (but only during that time)….like when you need to replace the cmos battery for the bios….because you cant remote into the bios.  Or anytime the rig fails to boot.  This is why i and others recommend having a monitor to put on it for those times.  But not to leave it there. 

Yes but how often you must replace a cmos battery?  Huh I need a monitor one time, for windows installation. Buy a cheap or used monitor like batsonxl said, makes more sense.
Refrumatrix

Activity: 301
Merit: 13

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
July 13, 2021, 12:50:02 PM

Many people like spending money on unnecessary gadgets when building mining rigs, my advice is to think about your return of investment rather than buying expensive things that aren't really needed, this mini monitor costs 55$ in my country whereas you can get a monitor for 12$, monitor is only needed for configuring your rigs once that is done it's over

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: