Bitcoin Forum
May 18, 2024, 12:00:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for advice: gifting a paper wallet  (Read 348 times)
bL4nkcode
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1305

Limited in number. Limitless in potential.

View Profile
July 17, 2021, 05:32:22 AM

Ok so a little update... I created and printed out the paper wallet, it has the address bc1qrwc85tjunwql9zu9gew3q7knf70mv73tghtqyr and as you can see I deposited a small amount of Bitcoin on it. I tried creating a watch only wallet in Electrum (android) to see if it worked and... nothing. No funds on that address whatsoever. I tried sweeping the wallet with Electrum (both android and desktop) and Samourai Wallet and while they recognize the private key they don't find any UTXO...
Maybe you can wait until it sync completely with the use of internet, of course, if the address is correctly imported, most of this downloaded wallet need to sync, but not much of a time.

While importing a watch only address on some web wallets reflects almost instant.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 16663

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2021, 06:34:05 AM

edit: I managed to sweep using electrum desktop, all I had to do was add p2wpkh: in front of the private key.
On Android, I prefer Mycelium for watch-only wallets. When importing, it automatically checks all address types associated with a private key (so no manual "p2wpkh:" needed, I can never remember that)).

still looking into why it doesn't work on android, with samourai or bitcoin core...
I've had inconsistencies with importing watch-only addresses on Bitcoin Core too. I can't find back my post about it though.

Timelord2067
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 2218

💲🏎️💨🚓

View Profile
July 18, 2021, 08:41:50 AM
Merited by DdmrDdmr (5), LoyceV (4)

Just thought I'd share with you a couple of thoughts.

I gave my father a paper wallet with BTC 0.11 on it some five to six years ago {1}.  Since the beginning of this year I have paid more attention to forked coins than I have in the past and have found there are about a dozen forks of bitcoin that have viable amounts that can be recovered to apps such as coinomi or Ballet Wallet where they can sit until their price rises, or, we decide to dispose of those forked coins.  The actual bitcoin we've reached an agreement to split the initial 0.11 into smaller sizes (probably 0.01 a piece on new paper wallets) so that if the price jumps even higher in the next five, ten... twenty years, the sale price won't be as astronomical to ask someone to pay in a cash/hand over the paper wallet transaction.

With regards to security, my suggestion is don't overthink security of your gift for someone who may not be tech savy.

I've tried the coinb.in method as suggested by others and get glib responses when I asked for help in those threads (that is to say I have funds locked away that are seemingly permanently locked - even after the test time has elapsed).

{1} Similarly, I have also gifted a group 18 paper wallets containing BTC 0.05000471 each which are also as of this date unclaimed - bar one - (including forks)

LoyceV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2021, 11:46:36 AM

there are about a dozen forks of bitcoin that have viable amounts that can be recovered
I only know of BCH/BSV/BCH-A/BTG/BCD that are currently worth it. Which ones did I miss? As far as I know they either have very low trading volume, or no working wallet, but if I missed some, I have work to do!

The actual bitcoin we've reached an agreement to split the initial 0.11 into smaller sizes (probably 0.01 a piece on new paper wallets) so that if the price jumps even higher in the next five, ten... twenty years, the sale price won't be as astronomical to ask someone to pay in a cash/hand over the paper wallet transaction.
Out of curiosity: are you now using SegWit paper wallets? I've never made those by myself.

With regards to security, my suggestion is don't overthink security of your gift for someone who may not be tech savy.
A timelock solution without private key may mean you can't access future Forks.

I've tried the coinb.in method as suggested by others and get glib responses when I asked for help in those threads (that is to say I have funds locked away that are seemingly permanently locked - even after the test time has elapsed).
I may have seen it in the past, but just in case: can you share the links to read up on this?

Timelord2067
Legendary

💲🏎️💨🚓

View Profile
July 18, 2021, 12:39:19 PM
Last edit: May 16, 2023, 11:02:27 PM by Timelord2067

[quote author=LoyceV link=topic=5349056.msg57488852#msg57488852 date=1626608796]
[quote author=Timelord2067 link=topic=5349056.msg57487702#msg57487702 date=1626597710]
there are about a dozen forks of bitcoin that have viable amounts that can be recovered[/quote]
I only know of BCH/BSV/BCH-A/BTG/BCD that are currently worth it. Which ones did I miss? As far as I know they either have very low trading volume, or no working wallet, but if I missed some, I have work to do![/quote]

Sorry, my bad - I think I meant to say HALF a dozen...

Ballet Wallet will import BTC/BCH/BSV/BCHA/BTG/BCD at the same time with the one privkey while coinomi imports BTC/BCH/BTG/XBC/BSV/BTCZ one at a time (but with just the one privkey)

* when I say import, the funds are sent as a transaction to a new wallet address contained within the relevant App.

From the above, there are seven plus BTC (which is getting near to a dozen I guess ...) there could be more I've missed if they have non-bitcoin names.

The actual bitcoin we've reached an agreement to split the initial 0.11 into smaller sizes (probably 0.01 a piece on new paper wallets) so that if the price jumps even higher in the next five, ten... twenty years, the sale price won't be as astronomical to ask someone to pay in a cash/hand over the paper wallet transaction.
Out of curiosity: are you now using SegWit paper wallets? I've never made those by myself.

Not as yet, the easyest way (which I'm going to do) is go to

generate a pubkey/privkey pair then use Zint Barcode studio or similar to generate a QR code and print out using Open Office or similar (I use the Portable Apps version).

If you *really* want to be sneaky, you can create a NON QR code

e.g.

or

or

or

and slot those barcodes into text in a pdf (or even a printout) where they appear to be for something else entirely.  A person not in the know wouldn't know what sort of bar code, where it was stored (in the clear, or with-in a pdf etc) - as a label on a book, or a jar of coffee... They would have to spend days barcode scanning *every* surface.  (not to mention the Lego Set)

A timelock solution without private key may mean you can't access future Forks.

I may have seen it in the past, but just in case: can you share the links to read up on this?

I'll dig out the link (probably tomorrow as it's getting towards midnight here time)

Did you know

Code:
hxg5JYz

is a bitcoin wallet address ??

See if you can work out the answer to that.

LoyceV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2021, 02:39:26 PM

If you *really* want to be sneaky, you can create a NON QR code
Considering how many people already have a hard time recovering Bitcoin from an old storage format, I wouldn't use non-standard encoding.

Did you know
Code:
hxg5JYz
Short answer: no it's not Smiley
I can SHA-256 it to use as a brain wallet, which gives 1Piet (a Dutch name) as vanity address, but you can do that with any data.

Timelord2067
Legendary

💲🏎️💨🚓

View Profile
July 18, 2021, 11:11:48 PM
Last edit: May 16, 2023, 11:02:07 PM by Timelord2067

[quote author=LoyceV link=topic=5349056.msg57490135#msg57490135 date=1626619166]
[quote author=Timelord2067 link=topic=5349056.msg57489192#msg57489192 date=1626611959]
If you *really* want to be sneaky, you can create a NON QR code[/quote]
Considering how many people already have a hard time recovering Bitcoin from an old storage format, I wouldn't use non-standard encoding.[/quote]

True, but as with the second response below, these methods could be used by someone who knows what they are doing for short term storage.

Did you know
Code:
hxg5JYz
Short answer: no it's not Smiley
I can SHA-256 it to use as a brain wallet, which gives 1Piet (a Dutch name) as vanity address, but you can do that with any data.

Well... it is, but not with the method you supposed above.

[quote author=Timelord2067 link=topic=5349056.msg57489192#msg57489192 date=1626611959]
Code:
[img]https://talkimg.com/images/2023/05/17/blob0671539c745d1b42.jpeg[/img]
[/quote]

the hxg5JYz is the file name of the last bar code in my previous post.  I wouldn't advise using a third party service to store a privkey.  However, it demonstrates that a privkey can be hidden in a multitude of ways (I'd only use the above (filename method) for very short term storage).

Grin

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: