Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:43:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Casascius 10 BTC Silver Round is here! (PIC)  (Read 5291 times)
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
December 07, 2011, 06:49:32 PM

Received my 2 silver coins today. They look awesome.

But wow the first-bits are hard to ready that small.

Buy & Hold

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mila

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 07, 2011, 08:19:47 PM

must ... not ... fap ...

sir, what's your premium over spot?
are you willing to ship to europe?
p&p?

- I do not need the box (just air capsule is OK)
- I do not need the bitcoins (just the silver round is OK)
but swapping bitcoins is OK, be my laundry Wink
- I do not need to get them on time for X-mess

what's the available number of silver 10 btc rounds?
(PM is ok) - I'm thinking abut 5-10-15 pcs to buy, depending on the premiun

your ad here:
likuidxd

Activity: 476
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 07, 2011, 10:34:21 PM

Holy Crap!

It's, it's... It's Beautiful!

gnar1ta$
Donator

Activity: 798

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 11:21:45 PM

Got a couple of these this week, very nice.  When are the ones with the gold plated B available?

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.
BitcoinMint.US

Activity: 284
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 11:55:57 PM

Looks like a great product.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
December 26, 2011, 08:35:19 PM

Do want

mila

Activity: 462

View Profile
December 26, 2011, 09:05:34 PM

Do want

me too. but he's not responding to shipping price inquiries.
looks like they are not available at memory dealers (or any other partner shop) but only at his home page, the 29 btc price did not changed since a long time (seems fixed) and I want them badly

your ad here:
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2011, 09:33:02 PM

I recently lowered the prices to account for the BTC exchange rate.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
vuce

Activity: 476

View Profile
December 27, 2011, 12:12:25 AM

How much would it cost to have it shipped to europe?
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2011, 01:01:51 AM

How much would it cost to have it shipped to europe?

Without the gift box, it's just like any other coin.  (this is perhaps a preferable way to ship as well, as it will fit in CD mailers, possibly less subject to customs scrutiny).  Asking for no gift box (in the notes) gives you a 1.5 BTC discount.

With the gift box, it costs the equivalent of about $15 to ship between 1 and 6 coins.  At 6 coins, the flat rate box is full.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
tonto

Activity: 609

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 10:33:47 PM

How do these things "work"?  I mean, so let's say I was to use this as money.  So I find someone who's willing to exchange something in return for this 10BTC coin.  So the embedded key is tied to what wallet?  I mean someone somewhere created the wallet that has the key.  If the person who takes my coin decides to transfer those 10BTC to their wallet, how do they do it? 

I mean I know it's cool to know that that 10BTC coin is backed by actual 10BTC, and maybe that user would perpetuate that coin.  It's cool that the key can be verified so you know you're getting 10BTC worth or not.

This has probably been asked/answered elsewhere, so I'm sorry if so. Smiley

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2011, 10:37:40 PM

Think of it this way: The coin has a paper wallet inside it.

There isn't a corresponding wallet file.  The code inside the coin is what allows the original wallet file to be regenerated.  Without the code in the coin, the bitcoins are otherwise effectively lost and unusable.

A custom program I wrote was used to generate single-use wallets for the purpose of making these coins.

tonto

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 10:50:29 PM

(apologies if this info is on your website, but I'm at work and haven't found it yet)

How does one go about using the codes to make a wallet?  Like let's say I am given a coin, and and (pretend I'm a user who's never used bit coins before) install the bit coin client, and I now have a newly made (albeit 0 balance) wallet on my computer.  So I then decide to put the 10BTC from the coin into my newly created wallet... how would I do this?

(or is there a link to an existing thread or on your site to keep duplication down?)

I'm asking because I have a couple friends who might get into bit coins, but don't yet see the inherent value... if I presented them with a coin with real "value", it might pique their interest.  Smiley
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2011, 10:59:33 PM

There are utilities that can do it (e.g. pywallet), but the most user friendly way is to just go to MtGox -> Add Funds -> Redeem Private Key, type in the code, let Gox do it for you, and then withdraw the balance to the destination of your choice.  Only drawback is you have to wait for 6 confirmations before being allowed to withdraw.  And it goes against your daily withdrawal limit (though for 10 BTC that is not really a big deal)

gnar1ta$
Donator

Activity: 798

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 12:56:45 AM
Last edit: December 30, 2011, 01:27:05 AM by gnar1ta$

Tonto I think your complicting the idea here. I gave a couple of these out and showed the user the balance can be viewed anytime on blockexplorer with the visible first bits, but can't be spent off the coin without peeling the tamper evident hologram to reveal the private key. So as long as the hologram is intact you can be sure the balance is still on any coin given or received.  Personally I don't think the silver rounds are the best coins to be opening.

Casascious I'm looking to get a few more of these and see the price has been adjusted but you now have 2 box prices in this thread (2 and 1.5). How much should I take off when ordering with no box?

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2011, 01:08:41 AM

Holy Crap!

It's, it's... It's Beautiful!

That's sexy.

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2011, 02:17:21 AM

Take off 1.5. It's $6 you are taking off, bitcoin was $3 not too long ago which is why it was 2 and is now 1.5.

tonto

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 02:27:50 PM

Tonto I think your complicting the idea here. I gave a couple of these out and showed the user the balance can be viewed anytime on blockexplorer with the visible first bits, but can't be spent off the coin without peeling the tamper evident hologram to reveal the private key. So as long as the hologram is intact you can be sure the balance is still on any coin given or received.  Personally I don't think the silver rounds are the best coins to be opening.

Casascious I'm looking to get a few more of these and see the price has been adjusted but you now have 2 box prices in this thread (2 and 1.5). How much should I take off when ordering with no box?

Ok I figured it out using one of my keys on block explorer (just using the first few bits of one I had).  Thanks!   Grin
tonto

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 03:34:44 PM

Casascius:

If/when (hopefully) bit coins increase in value to the point where it makes sense to cover the manufacturing costs, would you consider making .1 BTC coins (or .5 or whatever smaller denomination)?  It would be cool to have things like this in circulation and not just a sweet display piece. Smiley 

Hopefully at some point bit coins will be worth $100 or more each, but then buying a 1BTC coin to give to someone would hurt the wallet a little more. Smiley
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 04:23:10 AM

Now while I do have 2 of these coins, I can't really consider the btc on them secure. There's no way to guarantee that the private key on the coin is not also duplicated any where else. If I could send you an encrypted private key to store on the coin, then I would feel safe in using the coins as a permanent wallet.

Buy & Hold
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: