Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:52:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gettin' Paper - Redeemable Private Keys now in Mt. Gox Mobile 3.1  (Read 3068 times)
rasengan (OP)

Activity: 139
Merit: 37

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2011, 12:06:11 AM
Last edit: January 04, 2012, 02:43:46 AM by rasengan

Mt. Gox Mobile, it just keeps getting easier.
Bitcoins are getting around the block.  Grin

EDIT: Please give us a high 5 (5 star the app) on the Android Market if you like it.  We are working hard to meet every single feature request/optimization/modification for the community.  We do this for Bitcoin.  We do this for you.  Happy Holidays and a very Happy New Year!  2012 is the year of Bitcoin!  Let's do this!  Feel free to e-mail help@mtgoxlive.com if you have any issues or come to our IRC channel on Freenode (#MtGoxLive).

Mt. Gox Mobile 3.1 includes support for redeemable private keys.  Now you can import your private keys into your Mt. Gox account to redeem your Bitcoins.  If you have a paper bitcoin wallet with a private key in Wallet Import format and many others, you will be able to instantly redeem the balance (6 confirmations req.).

Simply manually enter or scan a QR code to get started.  It's easy.  Mt. Gox Mobile 3.1 is available on Android™ and will be available shortly for Cydia/iOS.

Learn more on the Official Mt. Gox Mobile website.

Mt. Gox Mobile is the official application of the Mt. Gox Bitcoin Exchange.
QR Code™ is a registered trademark of Denso Wave International.
Android™ is a registered trademark of Google.

Joseon.com - The First Legally Recognized Cyber State

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 12:57:54 AM

nice job again.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 01:05:49 AM

+1

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2011, 01:16:34 AM

Couple quick requests/suggestions.

1 - Are you able or willing to implement the Base58 checksum code, as well as the mini checksum for Casascius coins so typos can be automatically rejected?  (Both are simple SHA256-based checks documented on the wiki under "Base58Check encoding" and "Mini private key format" respectively).  Last I checked on MtGox, website accepts checksum failures (typos) and reports there is no balance, rather than rejecting the input.

2 - Two-part private keys have been recently discussed on the forums.  They would provide very strong security, because it would enable physical bitcoins where the manufacturer can guarantee nobody has the private key, by creating half and allowing a 2nd party to add the other half.  The two part scheme is based on elliptic curve addition, so the full bitcoin address can be computed with neither party knowing the full private key.  Would you be willing to implement a redeemer for a two-part private key?  (Two part private keys are convertable to a single private key with elementary math - a bignumber add and a divide - no complex EC stuff required.  Each of the private keys would likely contain a bit flag that indicates it is only "half" of a key, so your system would know to ask for the other half).

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
MagicalTux
VIP

Activity: 608
Merit: 501

-

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 06:02:46 AM

Couple quick requests/suggestions.

1 - Are you able or willing to implement the Base58 checksum code, as well as the mini checksum for Casascius coins so typos can be automatically rejected?  (Both are simple SHA256-based checks documented on the wiki under "Base58Check encoding" and "Mini private key format" respectively).  Last I checked on MtGox, website accepts checksum failures (typos) and reports there is no balance, rather than rejecting the input.

2 - Two-part private keys have been recently discussed on the forums.  They would provide very strong security, because it would enable physical bitcoins where the manufacturer can guarantee nobody has the private key, by creating half and allowing a 2nd party to add the other half.  The two part scheme is based on elliptic curve addition, so the full bitcoin address can be computed with neither party knowing the full private key.  Would you be willing to implement a redeemer for a two-part private key?  (Two part private keys are convertable to a single private key with elementary math - a bignumber add and a divide - no complex EC stuff required.  Each of the private keys would likely contain a bit flag that indicates it is only "half" of a key, so your system would know to ask for the other half).

1. We already do the Base58 checksum. The only issue - I guess - is the fact we fall back to SHA256 if the checksum does not verify. For your "mini private key format" checksum I'll have to check the doc and see how it works.

2. That shouldn't be an issue, could you show me a couple of those (you got my email) with the required computation and we'll implement it.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2011, 06:50:31 AM

1. We already do the Base58 checksum. The only issue - I guess - is the fact we fall back to SHA256 if the checksum does not verify. For your "mini private key format" checksum I'll have to check the doc and see how it works.

2. That shouldn't be an issue, could you show me a couple of those (you got my email) with the required computation and we'll implement it.

I couldn't find a PM or e-mail, sorry.

Mini private keys are always 22, 26, or 30 characters long and always start with 'S'.  Simply limiting SHA256 hashing to those lengths will solve the Base58 checksum problem.

Mini private keys are validated by hashing SHA256(entry + "?") and confirming the result starts with eight zero bits.

The computation for merging a multi part private key (regardless of the number of parts) is to get the private key of each part (a 32-byte unsigned bignumber, just like a standalone private key), adding them all together, dividing the total by the secp256k1 constant N, and using the remainder as the combined private key.

The constant N is 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFEBAAEDCE6AF48A03BBFD25E8CD0364141

You are probably aware that Base58Check-encoding a private key implies the version byte 0x80, and that mini private keys start with 'S'.  I propose using a different version byte to specify that a private key is incomplete and requires other keys.

A version byte of 0xA2 will ensure that a Base58 private key starts with '6' instead of '5'.  A mini private key could start with 'P' to specify it is partial.  Either of these would simply be a clue to MtGox (or any other redeemer) that the private key needs to be combined with something else to be complete, and to show a second prompt asking for the other half of the private key, rather than proceeding to redeem the single private key.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
rasengan (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2011, 05:21:53 PM

These are some pretty interesting suggestions, and we will definitely look into this.  A two or more part private key would be very interesting.  (The first thing that actually came to mind was a scene in "Gundam Seed Destiny" where Kira and Lacus have two separate keys which are both required to unlock Freedom. -- Pretty cool idea)

Also, just a note, a small update (version 3.11) was pushed which includes a fix for some users who have indicated issues while on unstable wireless networks.

Edit: forgot a comma in the first sentence
Edit #2: added gundam remark

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 05:34:11 PM

These are some pretty interesting suggestions, and we will definitely look into this.  A two or more part private key would be very interesting.  (The first thing that actually came to mind was a scene in "Gundam Seed Destiny" where Kira and Lacus have two separate keys which are both required to unlock Freedom. -- Pretty cool idea)

Also, just a note, a small update (version 3.11) was pushed which includes a fix for some users who have indicated issues while on unstable wireless networks.

Edit: forgot a comma in the first sentence
Edit #2: added gundam remark

whats the easiest way to get 3.11 on android?
rasengan (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2011, 06:00:10 PM

The easiest way would be to update through the Android Market.  If it is not showing in the Android Market, try restarting the device since the Market appears to cache results.  It is updated here though:  https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mtgoxlive.trader

Cheers,
rasengan

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 06:59:30 PM

The easiest way would be to update through the Android Market.  If it is not showing in the Android Market, try restarting the device since the Market appears to cache results.  It is updated here though:  https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mtgoxlive.trader

Cheers,
rasengan

I updated but login page still shows 3.1
rasengan (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2011, 08:30:02 PM

Hmm, it's possible that 3.11 still didn't show on the Market when you updated.  It should be there soon enough.  Let me know if somehow it doesn't show up and I'll send you the APK.  Sorry for any inconvenience!

Cheers,
rasengan

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 08:44:48 PM
Last edit: December 03, 2011, 09:29:30 PM by cypherdoc

Hmm, it's possible that 3.11 still didn't show on the Market when you updated.  It should be there soon enough.  Let me know if somehow it doesn't show up and I'll send you the APK.  Sorry for any inconvenience!

Cheers,
rasengan

Im trying to withdrawal 0.4995 btc but I'm getting a error.  I'm assuming its a fee error of some sort but how do I know how much to deduct? Why don't you just automatically deduct fee?

edit:  the error says "please enter a valid amount".  0.4995 is the total balance in there right now which is what i'm trying to withdraw.
rasengan (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2011, 10:37:03 PM

Im trying to withdrawal 0.4995 btc but I'm getting a error.  I'm assuming its a fee error of some sort but how do I know how much to deduct? Why don't you just automatically deduct fee?

edit:  the error says "please enter a valid amount".  0.4995 is the total balance in there right now which is what i'm trying to withdraw.

Sorry about the inconvenience.  When entering ".4995" I was able to reproduce this issue.  However, "0.4995" worked for me.
Anyway we fixed this issue in version 3.13 which is now on the market.  Please let me know if this works better for you now.

Again, sorry about the inconvenience.

Cheers,
rasengan

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2011, 04:48:11 PM

Have you considered emulating the YubiKey functionality in the MtGox app, at least as a blockade for withdrawals?  So that the app can be used to generate one time passwords one must type into a PC to do a withdrawal.  This isn't going to ever be as strong as a real YubiKey, but it would be free and available immediately and would be a meaningful impediment to theft via keyloggers.

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
December 16, 2011, 05:59:34 PM

When will we be able to move past 2.9 on iPhone.  Wish I had an android, but iCrap was paid for by a client who needed a mobile app Sad.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
rasengan (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2011, 07:24:20 PM

Have you considered emulating the YubiKey functionality in the MtGox app, at least as a blockade for withdrawals?  So that the app can be used to generate one time passwords one must type into a PC to do a withdrawal.  This isn't going to ever be as strong as a real YubiKey, but it would be free and available immediately and would be a meaningful impediment to theft via keyloggers.

This is a good call, and I strongly agree.  It's in the pipeline/development queue and we will see this soon.

When will we be able to move past 2.9 on iPhone.  Wish I had an android, but iCrap was paid for by a client who needed a mobile app Sad.

The app is ready, but we are doing testing which should put this release for sometime next week.  Sorry about the extended delay!

Nerzahd

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 09:27:04 PM

Version 3.14 on ios 5.01 still not work for me. stuck at the mt. Gox screen.

14X95NYLXqczFjrBPqgTpkC7AWmpyZrYEU
rasengan (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2012, 02:36:51 AM

Version 3.14 on ios 5.01 still not work for me. stuck at the mt. Gox screen.

It looks like there are others who are also having this issue.  Somehow, on a fresh iOS iPod Touch 4th Generation with iOS 5.01 (8GB) it seems to work for me.  However, we will look into this.  In the meantime, assuming Apple doesn't have any sort of prejudice at this point, the application should be available on the App Store soon.

An update for the app has been released on Android (3.2) with a Barcode Scanner built in. Further, the titlebar/statusbar is now visible.  It seems that this issue alone was enough to 1-2 star an app. T_T  We changed this right away!

Enjoy ^______^

Nerzahd

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 12:39:57 PM

I have made a full restore. Now it works! Great app thanks.

14X95NYLXqczFjrBPqgTpkC7AWmpyZrYEU
rasengan (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2012, 03:49:42 PM

I have made a full restore. Now it works! Great app thanks.

Nerzahd, great!  I'm really happy to hear this.

Best,
rasengan

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: