Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 02:56:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: AC cooling in a farm is a bad idea  (Read 210 times)
Looper_U (OP)

Activity: 369
Merit: 16

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
July 27, 2021, 01:10:16 PM

This is for upcoming miners who wants to build a mining farm with 7-10 rigs in your farm do not use AC cooling, this idea is only good if you have two rigs in your home not a farm, it's a bad idea and it will cost you loads of more money, talking from experience

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
July 27, 2021, 03:19:58 PM

I am pretty sure no miner uses an AC to cool their farm. Most miners use proper ventilation and the air goes outside. The only miners that might use AC is maybe if they got a rig or two and they sleep/live in that same room. ACs are meant for humans and never for electrical equipment.

Plus if you got 7-8 rigs, which use what? 7000-8000 Watts or so, you will need a huge air conditioner to handle that BTU removal. And ACs are never efficient and you will end up spending tons and tons of money on electrical to power your farm. Hence never use AC to cool your rigs.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
FloridaKid

Activity: 375
Merit: 15

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
July 27, 2021, 03:54:32 PM

Fans works the best, you can use table fan or just get exhaust fans they will vacuum the heat and send them out of the mining farm, to me AC use water and that's but for electronic components that are exposed like GPUs

batsonxl

Activity: 1196
Merit: 26

View Profile
July 27, 2021, 08:52:06 PM

Ac is best solution for cooling if electricity price low.
miner29

Activity: 1264
Merit: 138

View Profile
July 27, 2021, 10:37:00 PM

I cant find a way it makes more sense to use power for AC vs using it for more mining in a farm setup. 

Stanlo

Activity: 952
Merit: 110

View Profile
July 28, 2021, 10:41:30 AM

You are talking about the electricity bill and yes you are right, I thought you will say that AC kills GPU lol🤣, actually some who have less electricity bills don't mind using AC to cool their farm and some aren't even paying a dime for electricity, the more AC you have in your farm the more problem on bills for you
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1038

View Profile
July 28, 2021, 03:35:38 PM

This is for upcoming miners who wants to build a mining farm with 7-10 rigs in your farm do not use AC cooling, this idea is only good if you have two rigs in your home not a farm, it's a bad idea and it will cost you loads of more money, talking from experience
For every 2 kilowatts consumed by your mining farm, an air conditioner is needed, which will consume 0.8-1 kilowatts of electricity additionally. It is very expensive.
I only use this cooling method in the office during the hot season when I am at work.
In other cases, it is better to use ventilation.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
July 31, 2021, 04:26:47 AM

But unless you got central air conditioning, which has the actual AC outside and the air is delivered thru vents in the floor. You most likely will have a window AC or Portable AC which needs to be exhausted thru a window. So instead of having an AC there you can just exhaust all the hot air that the mining rig generates, instead of wasting power trying to cool down your room. The only way this would make sense is if you got only a few GPUs AND if you are living and sleeping in that room.

However there are noises and extreme heat and I don't know anyone who would want to sleep in the same room as a few mining rigs. Hence most people just use the room as a dedicated mining room and got proper ventilation using a few fans. Much cheaper and effective.

The 1KW of AC per 2KW of heat is correct however that depends on what the efficiency is of the AC. Some ACs like Portable ones are not efficient because they use the cool air as intake and they are 25% less efficient than a window AC.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
July 31, 2021, 04:39:09 AM

Controlled ac is not bad if your profits are not hit because of it however one must be very careful here, most fire hazards happen because of ac and its damage, so if you have many alarms telling you how the room temperature is and have tools to stop if failures.

I'm against ac because the way I see is better be safe than sorry, although I'm not a miner, I believe there should be always a second route in case something goes wrong, so you can have exhaust fans but make a second air through in case even if the exhaust fan stops working, you trolls must be careful here, could burn the whole house because of this.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
Sayeds56
Copper Member

Activity: 1288
Merit: 710

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
July 31, 2021, 04:56:38 AM

I think economically it is not viable to use Air conditioning system when you use conventual source of electricity supply which is very costly. Solar panel is better option but it needs huge investment and as well carries maintenance cost. I would suggest to install your miners in locations where maximum Ambient goes to 25C then you can run your farm with simple  low cost air cooling system by improving your ventilation inside the farm.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
TheMimic1

Activity: 252
Merit: 13

View Profile
July 31, 2021, 05:54:56 PM

I think big exhaust fans are better than AC, they use less energy and they exhaust heat out of your farm with ease, this is the best thing to do if you have many rigs in your basement, exhaust fans is the best solution, get the heats out instead of trying to cool them

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀     ITSMYNE     ▀▀▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Social-plus NFT marketplace for official sports NFTs
[      t w i t t e r      ]  [    t e l e g r a m    ]  [   i n s t a g r a m   ]  [      d i s c o r d      ]
EdgeOfSanity

Activity: 33
Merit: 2

View Profile
July 31, 2021, 08:33:57 PM

AC is fine if you have cheap electric and no other option. I use a 2 ton mini split to cool 3ghs. I wasn't willing to cut holes in my roof or walls for an ambient cooling setup. Would need to revisit late 2018 mining for my income to go into the red vs electric cost.
EdgeOfSanity

Activity: 33
Merit: 2

View Profile
July 31, 2021, 08:35:09 PM

Controlled ac is not bad if your profits are not hit because of it however one must be very careful here, most fire hazards happen because of ac and its damage, so if you have many alarms telling you how the room temperature is and have tools to stop if failures.

I'm against ac because the way I see is better be safe than sorry, although I'm not a miner, I believe there should be always a second route in case something goes wrong, so you can have exhaust fans but make a second air through in case even if the exhaust fan stops working, you trolls must be careful here, could burn the whole house because of this.

This applies to any mining setup, not just those cooled with AC.
senyorito123

Activity: 1736
Merit: 505

#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE

View Profile
July 31, 2021, 10:04:52 PM

We need AC for cooling fans, because it's not as costly compared to dc motors who could rigidly consume electrical energy.
I remembered an equipment that used dc motor to run the operation, but sad to say it doesn't last for year and ended up overheating due to long hours of running.
Same with cooling fans to be used in rigs, it shouldn't be a good practice if you're not using an ac for your power source.

.SWG.io.

..Pre-Sale is LIVE at $0.15..

..Buy Now..

``█████████████████▄▄
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄
````````````````````▀██▄
```▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄███
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄```▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``````````````````▄██▀
```````````████████████▄
````````````````````▀▀███
`````````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄████
```▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
`▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀████
```````````````````▄▄████
``▀▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
██``███████████████▀▀

FIRST LISTING
..CONFIRMED..

hub_cat

Activity: 40
Merit: 4

View Profile
August 08, 2021, 08:24:56 PM
Last edit: May 03, 2022, 06:15:40 AM by hub_cat

Good information, great point.

Window A/C enclosure builds are great for controlling GPU overheating, while maintaining it regularly (a lot of dead bugs can clog it up and cause a fire potentially).

Although if it's a small rig project, this would be too expensive to run.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: